Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

First/Business Class: Should there be age restrictions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First/Business Class: Should there be age restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Actually most children in FC are there because of a companies policy, and none a flying on miles that I know of.

Too bad this board does not have a like or thumbs up...
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Can someone explain to me the reason why this only encompasses Business/First and not Economy?
It shouldn't. A potential solution is to offer baby-free/childfree flights for any passenger who is willing to pay for it. However, I'm not sure if it's economically viable in America, but may be in parts of Asia/Europe where the idea has been toyed with.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
...A child is more likely than an adult to be disruptive.
Based on my experience in well over a million actual butt-in-seat flight miles, this is simply not the case. I have been annoyed much more by adults who get drunk, try to sell me insurance, try to convert me to their version of Truth, etc., etc., than by children. That is equally true in all cabins.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Visconti
It shouldn't. A potential solution is to offer baby-free/childfree flights for any passenger who is willing to pay for it. However, I'm not sure if it's economically viable in America, but may be in parts of Asia/Europe where the idea has been toyed with.
This would never work in the US. The vast majority of people here have demonstrated they aren't willing to endure higher base fares that guarantee additional pitch, meals, checked bags, etc., though they are quite willing to take to social media to complain about the absence of these things, or to complain that they are now being sold a la carte.

My take on this thread is that people need to take some responsibility for their own travel experience. Private air travel isn't a reality for most, and annoying other passengers (adult or child) are just an unfortunate occasional part of traveling - plane or otherwise, in any class of service.

Bring some earplugs, request FA assistance, or just learn to ignore it. If someone is willing to pay the airline for a seat, they're going to sell it to them the same way they sold you yours.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:43 am

Kids have pissed me off on planes, adults have.

I understand the wish to not have children on a night time flight in C/F since you presumably book it to get some rest and prepare for something upon landing which you value enough to pay extra for it. I really do understand the arguments that children - at least very young children - could be disruptive on those flights without any remedy available. On day time flights I think you'll have to suck it up.

But at the same time... I use noise cancelling headphones and it has yet to actually bother me enough for me to do anything about it. I think the problem is exaggerated.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Efrem
Based on my experience in well over a million actual butt-in-seat flight miles, this is simply not the case. I have been annoyed much more by adults who get drunk, try to sell me insurance, try to convert me to their version of Truth, etc., etc., than by children. That is equally true in all cabins.
Herein lies the difference. With a drunk adult (if before liftoff), either he/she is off the plane before it departs or may be restrained by the FA during the flight. I can politely decline the Insurance Salesman and tell him/her to shut it the rest of the flight. With Adults, I can deal with each assertively or inform the FA I'm being bothered.

With a crying baby, there is nothing be done except to put on headphones, endure it, and chalk it up to "it's my turn" this time.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:20 pm

I am a firm believer of giving people a chance. Maybe even two. Once you've exhausted your chances though, no matter what age you are, you get stuck in the hold.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Hell will freeze over before airlines limit first class to a certain age. I suggest those that want something better find a way to make more money and book a private jet.

Meanwhile I will continue to travel in first with the expectation that kids and drunks will be a part of it, and I will continue to sleep and work through it.

How do you work in a airport/Starbucks, etc.?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT

How do you work in a airport/Starbucks, etc.?
With headphones and Spotify.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
God lord, are we still on this? It's public transport so you, the passenger, have absolutely zero say in who the airline sells tickets to for the other seats. If you want that control then rent a private plane. It makes little sense for the airline to exclude fare-paying passengers from the J or F cabins, whatever their age, and since you are paying for a ticket on the terms the airlines choose you have to put up with it.

If the question were "Would we prefer it if the J and F cabins were child-free?" then the answer would be "hell, yes!" but it isn't...
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

could use a wiki on which airlines do it
do malaysia, airasia, scoot still offer it?

age restrictions are common elsewhere
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:37 pm

Like the Movie "Get Smart"
Use the Cone of Silence on them
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
With headphones and Spotify.
I've yet to understand why some people lose the ability to use these same products (or an offline version thereof) once inside a metal tube.

And if you can't afford a private jet, just buy all the seats around you in F/J. That's the only way you get to dictate to the airline who can and cannot sit in them.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
The airline is not a public place. It is private property.

The airline can impose age restrictions, as can any private business. Some bars and clubs don't allow people under 21 in. Some places in Europe, including restaurants and train cars don't allow children. It can be part of the service offered that there be no children present.
As are trains, buses and countless other modes of transport. The "public" part of public transport doesn't refer to ownership but to the fact that members of the public can buy a ticket and travel.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
People would still buy the cheaper ticket and then moan about the kids crying on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.