Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

First/Business Class: Should there be age restrictions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First/Business Class: Should there be age restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:11 am
Suspended

Yes, there should absolutely be age restrictions.

One of the many things I love about Switzerland is that they understand that children in public are an annoyance, and accordingly, restrict the presence of children in certain restaurants and forbid them in first class train cars. It's civilized.

I think part of the package and benefit of FC should be a 100% chance that you will not be close to a baby, or a toddler, or a chatty child. The minimum age for FC should be at least 12. I would absolutely throw my business at an airline with such a restriction.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Peterpack
There shouldn't be age restrictions, but behaviour restrictions
^

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Yes, there should absolutely be age restrictions.
So you prefer a 50-year old drunk screaming and generally annoying everybody to a six year old sleeping in his seat? The issue is not based on age (apart from maybe infants) but based on behavior.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CX Gold
I have no problem with kids in J or F in their own seats. Mine have flown like this dozens of times without an issue. Once however I saw a lap baby in J on a transpacific flight. Cute baby and all but of course it became fussy during the 15 hour flight. That seemed odd. I felt bad for the person sitting next to them.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:54 pm

I have no issues with anyone anywhere, so long as he/she is civilized and well behaved. Inevitably, all babies cry on Planes and I'd rather be spared the constant interruption. So, if I could pay extra for "baby free" flights, I surely would.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
It's been said here plenty of times, but as a 20 year old who flies in business and first and has done so since 1996, it's more of an issue of poorly behaved children versus the age of one child. I was raised to be respectful of others and to behave appropriately to match the situation/environment. Banning a subset of travelers based on age unfairly punishes those who are well-equipped to handle their environment. I think we need to ban misbehaving and inappropriate flyers.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:38 am

Can someone explain to me the reason why this only encompasses Business/First and not Economy?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 1:53 am

Good question! LOL

Or even buses...trains... how about anywhere IN PUBLIC!

Sorry... even though I'm a 50ish lifelong bachelor with no kids....and don't even like them much... Im going to use that dreadful old sarcastic rejoinder....

Buy the whole cabin or fly on a private jet. F and J may be costly... but it is still essentially public transport... and kids are part of the public.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Can someone explain to me the reason why this only encompasses Business/First and not Economy?
Obviously some people think that only poor people should be inconvenienced by a crying or fussy baby.

If you can pay for it, your kid can sit anywhere.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Apparently it's much more acceptable for your kids to annoy teachers, firefighters, and nurses on their way to or from vacation than for them to annoy investment bankers who might be on their way to an awfully important meeting.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Obviously some people think that only poor people should be inconvenienced by a crying or fussy baby.

If you can pay for it, your kid can sit anywhere.
Originally Posted by AlastairGordon
Apparently it's much more acceptable for your kids to annoy teachers, firefighters, and nurses on their way to or from vacation than for them to annoy investment bankers who might be on their way to an awfully important meeting.
^ ^ ^
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: AA, UA
I just do not see how you can prevent someone who has enough money or points from purchasing a First/Business class ticket for their child.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Mike2K
It's been said here plenty of times, but as a 20 year old who flies in business and first and has done so since 1996, it's more of an issue of poorly behaved children versus the age of one child. I was raised to be respectful of others and to behave appropriately to match the situation/environment. Banning a subset of travelers based on age unfairly punishes those who are well-equipped to handle their environment. I think we need to ban misbehaving and inappropriate flyers.
This.

I don't care if it's a slobbering drunk leaning into me or a toddler running loose and grabbing onto me with dirty hands. I don't care if it's an adult talking way too loud or a young kid who hasn't been taught the meaning of 'inside voice'.

One thing I do prize about sitting up front (or in a lounge) is the relative quiet. Crying infants whose parents are doing everything they can to quiet the infant are one thing; that happens. Toddlers and older kids running around 'talking' at the top of their lungs and accosting other pax is not acceptable and FAs should step in.

I was in J once where the middle section (4 seats) had two parents and a young girl - I'm guessing 4 years old. The parents hit the champagne and wine and passed out. That kid TALKED LOUDLY the entire flight, on and on and on, while her parents slept. Not acceptable.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WorldLux
^

So you prefer a 50-year old drunk screaming and generally annoying everybody to a six year old sleeping in his seat? The issue is not based on age (apart from maybe infants) but based on behavior.
It's not an either/or situation, and false dichotomies don't wash here.

The presence of a 50 year old drunkard is not dependent upon there being a child in the F cabin. The odds of that are the same regardless of children being allowed in or not. There is always that risk, but it is a separate issue.

A child is more likely than an adult to be disruptive.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by trooper
Good question! LOL

Or even buses...trains... how about anywhere IN PUBLIC!

Sorry... even though I'm a 50ish lifelong bachelor with no kids....and don't even like them much... Im going to use that dreadful old sarcastic rejoinder....

Buy the whole cabin or fly on a private jet. F and J may be costly... but it is still essentially public transport... and kids are part of the public.
The airline is not a public place. It is private property.

The airline can impose age restrictions, as can any private business. Some bars and clubs don't allow people under 21 in. Some places in Europe, including restaurants and train cars don't allow children. It can be part of the service offered that there be no children present.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
A child is more likely than an adult to be disruptive.
But a child is also more likely to be accompanied by an adult who will make efforts to control them. Maybe we need a "no unaccompanied drunks" policy. That one could be applied to all classes of service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.