Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

First/Business Class: Should there be age restrictions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First/Business Class: Should there be age restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:33 am

There shouldn't be age restrictions, but behaviour restrictions

IF an 6 year old can meet them fine. I'm seen good kids and bad kids on planes, good adults and bad adults on planes
Old Aug 1, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Amex
No there should not be. The only people who complain are using miles or have been upgraded due to status.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:56 pm

Bar children? That's pretty selfish.

I've paid full price for business and first class a number of times, going to Europe. My toddlers were fairly quiet because they were able to lie flat and sleep on the overnight to Madrid and Rome.

If we were stuck with economy, the kids would probably have had a hard time sleeping upright, having never done that before. And they would have more likely caused a disturbance for economy paying passengers (more of them because of density in economy).

I find that the people who complain about kids are generally single males, i.e. without much perspective in life yet. It's ok though, they will most likely be parents soon enough.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:15 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by darkhound
I find that the people who complain about kids are generally single males, i.e. without much perspective in life yet.
The skills involved in clubbing a potential spouse over the head, dragging her out of her cave and then mating with her certainly give a man perspective in life. Who could dispute that?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:38 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, EK, FB, SPG
Nope; as long as they behave. Including UMs. As many have covered; adults can frequently be equally disruptive as children; including public intoxication.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by newaarondavidson
No there should not be. The only people who complain are using miles or have been upgraded due to status.
Imagine the uproar if they said only people paying cash are allowed in First Class. That's the same as having age restrictions. If you can afford it you can travel wherever you want.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
My wife was told recently on a CX flight HKG-LAX in J that while she was sleeping, my younger daughter (4) woke up, pressed the call button, and asked for the chocolates! This is the same child who's first flight was on SQ in J as well, so I think you know which side of this argument I am on! Business class is great for children, especially a red eye. Get on board, eat dinner, put on a movie, and out they go.

We will happily abandon any airline who doesn't want our hard earned dollars.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
My wife was told recently on a CX flight HKG-LAX in J that while she was sleeping, my younger daughter (4) woke up, pressed the call button, and asked for the chocolates! .
That's hilarious!
Old Aug 2, 2016, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
That's hilarious!
I can only imagine that it being Hong Kong flight crew, the box was likely immediately at my daughter's complete control!!!
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:28 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
My wife was told recently on a CX flight HKG-LAX in J that while she was sleeping, my younger daughter (4) woke up, pressed the call button, and asked for the chocolates!
This sounds like an adorable child

To pontificate my opinion on OP's question - I don't think there should be neither an age nor behavior restriction. Behavior-wise, common courtesy should be exercised in premium cabin just as it should be in coach.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:08 am

My wife was told recently on a CX flight HKG-LAX in J that while she was sleeping, my younger daughter (4) woke up, pressed the call button, and asked for the chocolates! This is the same child who's first flight was on SQ in J as well, so I think you know which side of this argument I am on! Business class is great for children, especially a red eye. Get on board, eat dinner, put on a movie, and out they go.

We will happily abandon any airline who doesn't want our hard earned dollars.
I am solidly on your side of the argument as well. A couple of flights ago, my son and I were in row 1, my husband back in row 4.

I needed to speak to my husband so I followed him to his seat, leaving my son on his own. My son immediately sat down, strapped in and arranged his area and ordered a club soda for his PDB.

When I returned to my seat, the FA said "I love kids like yours"
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by TOMFORD

To pontificate my opinion on OP's question - I don't think there should be neither an age nor behavior restriction. Behavior-wise, common courtesy should be exercised in premium cabin just as it should be in coach.
The behaviour restriction should apply to the whole plane and to any age group. It's not a kid's age or the octogenarian that annoys, it's their behaviour. Bad behaviour in economy is probably harder to put up with than somewhere near the pointy end and just because the tickets are a fraction of the cost of some others doesn't mean pax have to put up with another person's idea life in the fast lane.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Wow...so glad this thread got bumped. It's been at least a solid 15 minutes since we've had this discussion on FT.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
My son immediately sat down, strapped in and arranged his area and ordered a club soda for his PDB.
While on the other hand on a recent flight, because the chocolate thing worked out for her, she decided on taxi that she was really really hungry and kept telling me she wanted to push the button and got a bit fussy when I told her she had to wait!

Originally Posted by pinniped
Wow...so glad this thread got bumped. It's been at least a solid 15 minutes since we've had this discussion on FT.
Solid contribution!
Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
There are many more passengers sitting in coach than in J or F.

Therefore, passengers with annoying kids who fly in J or F are choosing to spend more money to annoy fewer people. Sounds reasonable to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.