Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

First/Business Class: Should there be age restrictions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First/Business Class: Should there be age restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 8:01 am

What money would it take to implement it? You take one of the small-ish cabins as they are in the A380 and call it a family cabin. Done. Problem solved. Happier families, and happier non-parents. Simple, easy, no cost. Just a designation that this is an area of the plane that is expected to be loud.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by speltrong
What money would it take to implement it? You take one of the small-ish cabins as they are in the A380 and call it a family cabin. Done. Problem solved. Happier families, and happier non-parents. Simple, easy, no cost. Just a designation that this is an area of the plane that is expected to be loud.
Nothing is no-cost in aviation. How about this, we call the current business class "family friendly", then you can avoid it and fly your private jet so as not to be bothered by the rest of the world.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Personally, I think the one thing that airlines can do is both empower and require their flight attendants to be stricter with those that disrupt the cabin whether they be adults or children. If parents are being too permissive with their children, then the FAs have to spring into action. Tell the parents that they will be offloaded or banned from the airline if they don't keep their children under control. Threaten the same banishment to overly intoxicated/self-important passengers.
Old May 4, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by hopingtofly
Actually those of us with families would probably be thrilled too. Then we wouldn't have to endure dirty looks from childless travelers. ;-)
oh you poor, poor darlings.
Old May 4, 2015, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Hoch
A propos, I've seen adults behave worse than my three-year old (and no, Master Hoch is no saint).
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Why? Because no one, yourself included, is willing to pay the money it would take to implement. You paid for business class, not your own private cabin. In the real world kids cry, most adults deal with it.
Originally Posted by seawolf
Hire a private jet. Problem solved.
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Nothing is no-cost in aviation. How about this, we call the current business class "family friendly", then you can avoid it and fly your private jet so as not to be bothered by the rest of the world.
Bingo!

These clichéd responses always come out whenever anybody dares to make a valid complaint about loud children on a plane. They just usually take a little longer than this to be dutifully trotted out.
Old May 4, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Bingo!

These clichéd responses always come out whenever anybody dares to make a valid complaint about loud children on a plane. They just usually take a little longer than this to be dutifully trotted out.
Let's vote on having a wiki for loud children on the plane. That way when someone starts yet another thread we can just point to that.

OP can say "See complaint C23 on the wiki" and I can respond "See response A52". Save a lot of space.
Old May 4, 2015, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Let's vote on having a wiki for loud children on the plane. That way when someone starts yet another thread we can just point to that.

OP can say "See complaint C23 on the wiki" and I can respond "See response A52". Save a lot of space.
That would be more efficient, but I do enjoy watching these threads run their wonderful, if predictable, course.

Here's my contribution: "I've seen drunken businessmen be more trouble on flights than my cherubic little Reign-Beau Moon Unit after I've fed him a bagful of red jellybeans. People understand when I softly mutter "shhh darling" every 15 minutes that I'm doing my best to keep him under control while still permitting him to express himself".
Old May 5, 2015, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I would love there to be no screaming kids up the front of the plane. However, I have to say if they can afford to sit up there we all have to grin and bear it.
Old May 5, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: LH HON
It's the airlines fault by removing international first class where I can sit with my toddler leaving the grumpy idiots in biz :P
Old May 5, 2015, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Leonar
I took an AC flight Tuesday from IAH to FCO (still here now) and had a less than pleasant experience in Executive Business Class. The cabin (about 2/3 full) included a family of five-2 parents and 3 children about 7,4 & 2. After this flight I firmly believe that there should be at least a minimum age of 12 to travel in the business class cabin. Like dining in a nicer restaurant I don't expect to be subjected to someone elses screaming children after paying a hefty premium (in either dollars or miles). Plus, the pod style seats basically leave these kids sitting alone. To top off the eight hour nightmare, the 4 year old "had an accident" soaking the seat. The next person assigned to that seat is really going to appreciate that little surprise! I don't hate children, have my own, but would never think about subjecting people paying a premium to their antics.
Yes, on red-eyes. Otherwise parents should be certain their kids can behave and not scream the entire flight. I didn't take my kids on a plane until the youngest was 6. And he never made a peep.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i certainly think an age restriction is necessary. positively no one under 70 years of age.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:23 am

oh you poor, poor darlings.
My point exactly. Children can be good as gold, and some childless people still roll their eyes as soon as they see them. I would rather fly with other families than be surrounded by uptight singles.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My point exactly. Children can be good as gold, and some childless people still roll their eyes as soon as they see them. I would rather fly with other families than be surrounded by uptight singles.
I haven't found any good rule of thumb on the type of person I'd prefer in my cabin. My three year old has flown with me since birth (in all cabins) on a pretty regular basis, and most people don't even know she is there since she is so small and quiet. I've seen some crying kids who could not be consoled, but just as often I've seen drunk co-workers disturbing the whole cabin with a loud conversation.

Perhaps a no-drinking section to go along with the kid-free cabin? It's just about as practical.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Hire a private jet. Problem solved.
Old May 5, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bingo!

Since there has been no valid complaint presented I guess we will never know if you are right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.