Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

First/Business Class: Should there be age restrictions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First/Business Class: Should there be age restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2010, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Leonar
I took an AC flight Tuesday from IAH to FCO (still here now) and had a less than pleasant experience in Executive Business Class. The cabin (about 2/3 full) included a family of five-2 parents and 3 children about 7,4 & 2. After this flight I firmly believe that there should be at least a minimum age of 12 to travel in the business class cabin. Like dining in a nicer restaurant I don't expect to be subjected to someone elses screaming children after paying a hefty premium (in either dollars or miles). Plus, the pod style seats basically leave these kids sitting alone. To top off the eight hour nightmare, the 4 year old "had an accident" soaking the seat. The next person assigned to that seat is really going to appreciate that little surprise! I don't hate children, have my own, but would never think about subjecting people paying a premium to their antics.
And no one over 30
Old Sep 1, 2010, 8:35 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by acunningham
How would airlines go about determining this before the flight? How would they prevent the inevitable complaints (and perhaps lawsuits) from those who fail to make the grade?
After I posted I was thinking about that but then again how do you tell before if a kid is going to be well behaved or not? You could put the noisy people in the second mini cabin of J if there is one and just let them yell at Y passengers for coming to use the bathroom

Delta747
Old Sep 1, 2010, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
On a plane, however, you can't just take the child and step outside.
Thirty to forty years ago when I first started to fly in coach, it was very common for parents holding an infant in arms, that was crying uncontrollably, to go to the rear of the cabin until the child quieted down. These parents obviously showed consideration for other passengers. Unfortunately, this is not the norm for today.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbwpi
Thirty to forty years ago when I first started to fly in coach, it was very common for parents holding an infant in arms, that was crying uncontrollably, to go to the rear of the cabin until the child quieted down. These parents obviously showed consideration for other passengers. Unfortunately, this is not the norm for today.

Sounds like they moved the problem from where they were to the back of the bus. Why would the back of the bus deserve to deal with the problem?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

40 to 45 years ago when I started to fly in coach, it was not common to see babies and young children flying.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by planemechanic
Sounds like they moved the problem from where they were to the back of the bus. Why would the back of the bus deserve to deal with the problem?
Perhaps I should have elaborated by indicating the back of the cabin was the area of the galley and lavs, away from other seated passengers. Hope this clarifies my previous post.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps I should have elaborated by indicating the back of the cabin was the area of the galley and lavs, away from other seated passengers. Hope this clarifies my previous post.
Regardless, the screaming child is closer to back of the bus passengers than they were before.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: A few
My kids have flown in biz and F plenty of times and have behaved very, very well. We had one bad night flying with my daughter when she was 6 months old in BA club world. But hey we tried our best.

I have seen grumpy old men drunk and causing problems, being abusive and generally being a PIA

So what the heck does age have to do with anything?

I am glad my family will continue to enjoy travelling in comfort
Old Sep 1, 2010, 4:50 pm

Regardless, the screaming child is closer to back of the bus passengers than they were before.
Perhaps in hindsight I should have informed the parents of the screaming children, that according to some individuals, their attempts to be considerate of other passengers were futile and they should return to their assigned seats.

Last edited by rbwpi; Sep 1, 2010 at 5:11 pm Reason: grammar
Old Sep 1, 2010, 4:56 pm

So? Do you expect parents and kids to not fly at all?

Get real-it's 2010 and people aren't going to take the bus, especially TATL. When I'm in coach, I hope for the best but I take what shows up. Coach really is public travel and if a kid cries, that's part of the deal.

That's why C and F should offer some refuge. People pay (a lot) more in dollars or miles and if they don't get more, they might as well go back to coach. With the condition of C on US legacy carriers, that's about where I am.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA, NW
The problem isn't the children; it's the parents who don't enforce good behavior and treat their children as unstoppable forces of nature who will "send them to the cornfield" (there's an allusion for Twilight Zone fans) if they reprimand them.

I once spent an uncomfortable overnight flight seated next to a father who let his approx. 5-year-old son use him as a jungle gym. (This was in Y, but the principle is the same.) I could block out the noise with my headphones, but there was no blocking the feet in my lap and the knees in my ribs. (This was a few hours after the boy had thrown his dinner tray on the floor in disgust and demanded candy.)

When I got off the plane the next morning, I was astonished to find that there had been half a dozen other equally small children in Y, in addition to several older ones. None of them had been the least bit obtrusive. In other words, they had considerate and conscientious parents.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps in hindsight I should have informed the parents of the screaming children, that according to some individuals, their attempts to be considerate of other passengers were futile and they should return to their assigned seats.

Perhaps you should recognize that by being considerate of some passengers closer to the front of the airplane they were being inconsiderate to other passengers near the back.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
So? Do you expect parents and kids to not fly at all?

I will assume you did not read post #3 in this thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14564671-post3.html

I fully support children flying in all classes of service. We all live in the real world, some just appear to want to be isolated from it with no cost to themselves but at great cost to others.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 8:15 pm

Perhaps you should recognize that by being considerate of some passengers closer to the front of the airplane they were being inconsiderate to other passengers near the back.
I guess these parents, even though well intentioned, obviously didn't have your wisdom.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:08 pm

I will assume you did not read post #3 in this thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14564671-post3.html

I fully support children flying in all classes of service. We all live in the real world, some just appear to want to be isolated from it with no cost to themselves but at great cost to others.
I read it and found it a meaningless over-extrapolation.

You said yourself "at no cost to themselves"; yet C and F passengers have incurred whopping additional costs in miles and/or dollars. I can't argue with that logic. Or find any, for that matter.

You're welcome to accept the indignities thrown your way by the rude and inconsiderate. I prefer not to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.