Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Latest version (as of 24-Oct-2021) - available at http://depositfiles.com/files/2c753ofyy.
Print Wikipost

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2011, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit

Some test code made it into this version, sorry about that. Disable Scroll Lock to get rid of the globe.
Test code ?!?! Hmmm, what does that mean ??? Are you possibly looking into an option to have routes displayed on a 3D globe, because if so, that would be awesome !!! . . . and of course a lot more realistic than on a flat projection map !!!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Cockpitvisit,

I thought it was worth mentioning that, after many years of using this tool now, I am very grateful for the work you've done. This is truly an excellent resource.

There is one enhancement that's probably easy to do that I would *love* to see.

I sometimes ask questions like, "What is the longest prop plane segment flown in South America?", or "What is the shortest widebody route that TG operates?" Sometimes this is just for fun, but other times it can be quite useful. For example, say you want to experience Airline YY's long-haul product for the least amount of money/miles... a good way to do this would be to just show Airline YY's routes served by widebodies. Won't give you the full answer, but at least it's a way to narrow down your quest.

To answer these questions, I can use the View>Options dialogue box. BUT, it's labourious to go through the list of 100 or more aircraft to select only the widebodies or only the prop planes.

Could we get several tickboxes that automatically select classes of aircraft? Such as: widebodies, narrowbodies, regional jets, prop planes, helicopters.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adamj023
Seems like monetization of this app isn't complex since it will be used to turn into airline bookings for travellers which could allow more revenue for additional enhancements and more frequent updates.
Making this a commercial product would require better data. This could only be obtained from commercial sources, and the user base is not enough to recoup the costs. I think there is a reason why there aren't any similar commercial route mappers out there. The application was originally inspired by OAG Flight Atlas, but for reasons unknown to me, OAG never made an electronic version.

So this is going to stay a hobby project, sorry.

Originally Posted by waynecounty
Are you possibly looking into an option to have routes displayed on a 3D globe, because if so, that would be awesome !!!
I am indeed looking into it, but don't expect it soon. I also doubt the usefulness.

Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
Could we get several tickboxes that automatically select classes of aircraft? Such as: widebodies, narrowbodies, regional jets, prop planes, helicopters.
Will think about it, although for many regional planes, I myself would have to look up whether they are jets or turboprops
Old Nov 13, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, lots of old plastic claiming to be precious metal
Please ignore:

Again, many thanks for all your efforts.

Last edited by satprof; Nov 13, 2011 at 8:30 am Reason: Just discovered the C option in the View menu!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:19 pm

missing QF route

Hello,

First of all, since this is my first posting, let me say how utterly AWESOME your program is. Just incredible, and a very helpful tool for me.

I wanted to report to you that you are missing the LAX-JFK route of QF...QF107/108 do indeed still operate daily!

Thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 5:36 pm

I've been using this tool daily for a few months now.
Thanks so much
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:59 pm

Great tool! Thanks!

Minor bug Report (possibly):

RKV shows almost no connections to the continents. Is KEF missing from the map?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pozvatop
I wanted to report to you that you are missing the LAX-JFK route of QF...QF107/108 do indeed still operate daily!
Thanks for bringing it to my attention! Not sure why it's missing, since it appears in all timetables. Will check.

Originally Posted by rpninfinite
RKV shows almost no connections to the continents. Is KEF missing from the map?
KEF should be present, try pressing Ctrl+F and searching for KEF. Be sure to select "all airlines" in the dropdown box. When you select a specific airline, only airports served by that airline will be shown.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Next Update

Any ideas when the next update is due out? Been awhile so far.

But even with all the changes to fix broken stuff now, there will always be changes later on as carriers change flight routings constantly.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Any schedule update? Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

I hope to have an update later this month, but cannot promise it - I am quite busy now. Sorry!
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: US Silver, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
I hope to have an update later this month, but cannot promise it - I am quite busy now. Sorry!
Thanks!

When you do update, could you make sure that Ethiopian is added to the Star Alliance section? It would be very helpful when trying to come up with award tickets.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Excellent tool.

Danke Schoen and Frohe Weinachten.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 3:45 am

Excellent tool, and I've found it very helpful when planning award travel. Is there a Mac version available?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:30 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Is there a Mac version available?
The tool is for Windows systems only

Last edited by Circumknowitall; Dec 28, 2011 at 7:05 am Reason: updated hyperlink text

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.