Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Latest version (as of 24-Oct-2021) - available at http://depositfiles.com/files/2c753ofyy.
Print Wikipost

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
I love this tool! So useful, thanks for all the hard work that must've gone into building it. One suggestion: It would be great if we could save the Custom combinations of airlines that we build. Everytime I close the program I lose those custom views and have to rebuild them the next time.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HoKo
One suggestion: It would be great if we could save the Custom combinations of airlines that we build.
Ah but you can! cmn.jcs posted about this earlier. Just use notepad or some other text editor to add the custom list to alliances.dat before you open the program. It will show up at the top of the list with the Alliances.

I did this to add full partner lists for UA and AA to my map. ^
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: KL/BA
Hello, thanks for all the effort that you put into such a useful program. I've just downloaded the July 2012 version, but where has the "View Selected Routes" function gone?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Ah but you can! cmn.jcs posted about this earlier. Just use notepad or some other text editor to add the custom list to alliances.dat before you open the program. It will show up at the top of the list with the Alliances.

I did this to add full partner lists for UA and AA to my map. ^
Indeed! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:52 pm

Are you getting tired of the praise heaped on you for this tool? If not let me add to the chorus! Your tool is actually most versatile, since a non-airline entity could just replace the from/to airport codes with their own place names (say for a trade route viz tool, or a population migration viz tool...)

Very curious abt which software you used to write your code in - (I did search and found you definitely do not want to share the source code, so I didn't go there) -

The reason I ask is, my potential use of the tool would be a little different - I am using tableausoftware to map some of our data which is travel-related, but NOT airline-specific, and I wanted to go in slightly different direction with your software, to see if a modified version of it could be added as a plug-in of sorts to my tableau files, or...??
So to modify it..while I could add a 'dummy" airline with my data to my copy of the airlines.dat and routes.dat files, unfortunately my routes would be multi-segment and not non-stop (like all yours seem to be.) So I would want to add (a maximum of) 16 destinations for every row in route.dat, and then the application would need to read that and plot accordingly.

Which is why the question on the software used by you..

Thanks for a great versatile tool.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flieronthewall
Which is why the question on the software used by you..
It was written in plain C++, there was no special "software" involved. The graphics is done using OpenGL for speed.

You may want to consider Google Earth for plotting your routes - you could generate .KML files and display them in Google Earth.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Hello,

I am releasing Airline Route Mapper, a new tool that allows you to view and explore route maps of over 600 airlines.

I wrote this tool as a hobby project for my personal enjoyment and am making it freely available to fellow FlyerTalkers. Suggestions or bug reports are welcome.

Download page

Very nice tool. ¿Where are you getting all the routes from?¿How do you update them?

Congratulations.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 5:01 pm

Missing route

PHL-SAT
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:21 pm

Does anyone know where to get route frequency for the route data?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
bookmarked excellent
Old Oct 14, 2012, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Exclamation New update

A new update is available.

• Route maps updated to reflect October 2012
  • Alliance membership updated
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:28 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks... I just saw this thread. Looks awesome.

But I'm not seeing a worldmap as a background just the airport dots that somewhat make up the continents... is this normal? Your screenshot suggests something different...
Old Oct 14, 2012, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1

But I'm not seeing a worldmap as a background just the airport dots that somewhat make up the continents... is this normal? Your screenshot suggests something different...
I just downloaded the update and it looks fine (matches the screenshots).
Old Oct 14, 2012, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1

Try enabling the "1-pixel offset" in options. This problem seems to happen with some graphics drivers.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks, that worked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.