Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Latest version (as of 24-Oct-2021) - available at http://depositfiles.com/files/2c753ofyy.
Print Wikipost

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:49 pm

One suggestion: When routes are being shown, highlight (eg. change color or bold etc) the destination airports in some way that you can easily parse the possible destinations. With so many airports in an area, it can become difficult to see what the destination of that route is. Keep up the great work!
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:16 am

Map replaced by globe ?!?!

I had downloaded the Sep '11 update and was using it successfully for a few weeks when all of the sudden the moveable flat map was replaced by an image of a static spherical globe with land masses in yellow and water in blue. The airports are still there and are overlayed on the image of the globe, and I can still see the routes when I click on the airports. I deleted the program and re-downloaded it, but the static globe image is still there instead of the moveable flat map . . .

anyway, I found a way around this. Luckily I had saved the June '11 version and took the DAT files from Sep '11 and used them with the EXE file from Jun '11. So there must be something wrong with the Sep '11 EXE file.

Last edited by waynecounty; Oct 17, 2011 at 9:20 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 17, 2011, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
What is website that I can see the route mapper? Where I can find download on those files? Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by loheiman
One suggestion: When routes are being shown, highlight (eg. change color or bold etc) the destination airports in some way that you can easily parse the possible destinations.
This is already possible. If you click on an airport and then disable the display of airport names and codes, the airport codes of destinations will remain visible.

Originally Posted by waynecounty
when all of the sudden the moveable flat map was replaced by an image of a static spherical globe with land masses in yellow and water in blue.
Some test code made it into this version, sorry about that. Disable Scroll Lock to get rid of the globe.

Originally Posted by N830MH
What is website that I can see the route mapper? Where I can find download on those files? Thanks!
http://arm.64hosts.com/
Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond
GYM?

A route is shown flying to/from GYM but there's no airline showing serving it in the popup dialogue box.

Also, Swiss (LX) is showing as flying ANC-ZRH nonstop!?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dangrad
A route is shown flying to/from GYM but there's no airline showing serving it in the popup dialogue box.
It is a regional flight on US. If you click on GYM and point at the route (not at the airport itself), US will show under "Codeshares".

Also, Swiss (LX) is showing as flying ANC-ZRH nonstop!?
This was LX8944, ZRH-YXY-ANC-ZRH. Probably a special charter to bring passengers to a cruise ship. When a flight appears in online timetables and reservation systems (even with no availability), it also appears in my tool. There is no way to filter out such anomalies, sorry.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Can we adds on route map DXB-SEA/DFW? EK has already previously announced to start a direct flight DXB-SEA/DFW. Also, Edeweiss had flies nonstop ZRH-TPA, too.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N830MH
Can we adds on route map DXB-SEA/DFW? EK has already previously announced to start a direct flight DXB-SEA/DFW. Also, Edeweiss had flies nonstop ZRH-TPA, too.
These routes will start in March, so they will appear in the March update. The tool only contains routes that are currently being flown at least weekly (at least that's the goal).
Old Oct 30, 2011, 8:11 pm
Suspended

When Sun-Air of Scandinavia (EZ) is chosen for display, the tool is instead showing the routes for Eznis Airways (ZY) (a Mongolian airline). Sky Airlines (a Turkish airline) also has the ZY code from IATA; so, I'm not sure how you can fix this. Thanks for everything you do!
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Also while you're at it - there a few odd-looking intra-indonesian flights supposedly operated by TG
Old Nov 1, 2011, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pandaperth
Also while you're at it - there a few odd-looking intra-indonesian flights supposedly operated by TG
Information gets outdated quickly.

SkyTeam is just one alliance which added new partners after this software was last updated.

BTW is this app the best Airline route mapper out there or are there better ones that exist.

The problem is the information always changes and its hard to keep up.

Also out of ISP airport in Long Island, NY, they only list Southwest as the carrier when in fact USAirways also runs a flight out of there to Philadelphia.

Plus LGA will see changes as well in the future.

Not to mention AirTran and Southwest are merging so eventually the routes could change as well.

Oh and the Dreamliner 787 isn't listed in the equipment codes which is flying under ANA (all nippon) so those flights need to be added.

The application is great for a free route map but it seems as though a full scale development effort is needed since info changes realtime and the interface is primative, not up to the best mapping standards.

Not to nitpick. :-) It is nice for free and I don't know of any other route mappers like this since the others I know of essentially limit to a single airline or their codeshare partners.

I don't think any of the systems really want to be compatible with each other from a booking standpoint.

Last edited by adamj023; Nov 1, 2011 at 9:12 pm
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:39 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by adamj023
BTW is this app the best Airline route mapper out there or are there better ones that exist.
This is the best by far ^
Old Nov 2, 2011, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Circumknowitall
This is the best by far ^
Ok then. Just need to wait for the updates. Also I saw a routing backwards on a flight. When you clicked on it it had the locations reversed if I recall correctly.

Seems quiet here now. I wonder when the next update is due out.

Also it would be nicer if someone could modify the updates so instead of having to redownload the version each time you can get alerts as to when the next update is out and automatically download the feeds.

Seems like monetization of this app isn't complex since it will be used to turn into airline bookings for travellers which could allow more revenue for additional enhancements and more frequent updates.

Last edited by adamj023; Nov 6, 2011 at 9:35 am
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Ugh. "Monetize" and "monetization" should be banned from the English language. Why not just say, "start charging a fee to use something that is currently free"?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:13 pm

Ever thought of making an iphone app? I'd gladly pay for it!

Great work,

Olbie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.