Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

TripIt Consolidated Help and Information Thread

TripIt Consolidated Help and Information Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Problem with European items

Madalynn, please see my comments on this thread about the continuing problems with European items.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post19699911

In summary, every single item of the five I forwarded does not get added and turns into a note. I have sent problem reports and get a response that formats must have changed. Since this involves Hilton, Viator and Austrian National Rail System, I really doubt they ALL changed.

Thanks for your participation in Flyer Talk and I hope this gets fixed before I switch to Worldmate or Kayak.

Thanks
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by madalynn
Thanks to everyone here for taking the time to share your feedback. I've personally reviewed all the conversations here, all feedback sent to our support team, and all comments posted to Facebook and Twitter. I'm pleased to share we just rolled out some updates to the itinerary page, and there will be more to come. The itinerary page was re-designed based on your feedback and will continue to evolve based on your input.

Madalynn Priester
Product Manager, TripIt
Hi Madalynn! Welcome to flyertalk, I just want to say I've been a TripIt Pro member for a few years, and I have strong feelings for the product (most of them positive). It is something that has always *just worked* for me and that is absolutely the most important thing for my "travel tools".

That being said, I cheated on you all recently and I went off to look at the competition. And, I still think TripIt works best for me. However...

I'm a bit disappointed by how much it's stagnated, it ceases to feel innovative. I don't want new features every 2 weeks, or a complete overhaul over 3 months (like, Facebook). But there are some things that I wish were fixed or improved...

* First step: please hire the developer(s) behind TripDeck for the iPhone. It integrates with TripIT. Incorporate a lot of their UI elements into the web site and apps. Incidentally, the Apps and web UI need a consistent interface. They're not currently.

* Why can't I see the full date for a day in my itinerary on the web? I see only, for example "Nov...." That's the most useless piece of info: I know I'm traveling in November. At least show the day of the week.

* Why was the map removed from the front page? I think it should be bigger, and more accurate (it used to only register one city from a multi-city itinerary). Now it's basically gone, hidden behind a bunch of clicks.

* I wish you'd show thumbnails instead of those ugly grey suitcases on the main page. I also wish that (a) you expanded your image selection, (b) automatically picked an image for say, the top 250 cities for tripit travellers, and (c) let me upload a picture from a URL.

* I think it would be nice for an improved "Travel Stats" -- a separate page perhaps, with fancy shiny graphs showing all kinds of statistics about my travel. That interests me a great deal. If not a whole thing, an annual report would be cool at least.

* The whole thing needs a minimalist web 2.5 feel...stop showing me so many ads. You want me to book travel through you? Give me one button: plan a new trip. Store general preferences ("do you prefer city center or close to destination address?", "what kind of rental car?", "do you like to travel on sunday?", "what hotel program is your priority?" , "what airline is your priority?"). Then, I should be able to click this magic plan a new trip button, enter destination address(es) and then you generate a whole proposed itinerary according to what you know about me. Dear god, If you got this right and make good suggestions 80% of the time? Bam, you just got alot of my travel business...and could really revolutionize corporate travel. Corporate travel agencies really suck, especially their web sites. The one-off buttons that exist today that say things like "book a hotel yet?" and link me to some lowest-cost thing is not what I want. I can do those things better myself, you have to be *better than me* at it.

Anywho, I hope you take some of the suggestions you hear of flyertalk very seriously, there's a lot of travel money on forums like this and it's available for the taking when you provide good service and products.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by berlinflyer83

* First step: please hire the developer(s) behind TripDeck for the iPhone. It integrates with TripIT. Incorporate a lot of their UI elements into the web site and apps. Incidentally, the Apps and web UI need a consistent interface. They're not currently.
That would be Expedia - highly doubt they'd be available to hire
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, National Car Exec. Elite, UA Gold
Interesting to read all the feedback about the site. I love TripIt but NEVER use the website. Just the app on my phone. Thinking about checking out the site to see what all the hype/fuss about the updates are all about.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by ScottC
That would be Expedia - highly doubt they'd be available to hire
Ah, apparently Mobiata is owned by Expedia. Didn't realize. In any case, the apps for iPhone and Android are not that bad anyway. I don't really like the iPad app though. Doesn't matter anyway, I'm not sure they really "get it" that they need to evolve the product, it's really been not changed so much in years and I doubt my pleas on flyertalk will make a difference.

I'm kind of hoping someone comes along soon and creates a TripIt-like start-up that does it better.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:40 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Goodbye Tripit.

The last straw was when I forwarded a Doubletree Reservation for Charlotte and got the Unable message with the stock "format change" reply when I reported it.

Kayak trips handled it fine so that's my tracker from now on.

Sorry Madalynn

Cheers
Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
TripIt is still failing to understand almost all my forwarded email confirmations. Too bad, it was nice while it lasted.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 1:35 pm

Using the website; I try to delete (only) the hotel Check-Out event(s) ... to my eyes,
it is unnecessary clutter. I can understand that some folks might want this info.

TripIt automagically deletes the matching hotel Check-In event. Grrr. I wanted to
keep the hotel Check-In event.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
TripIt doesn't seem to know where FNJ is, nor have heard of any flights to/from FNJ. I realise this is a weird destination, but it does exist and there are scheduled flights on both CA and JS...
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by berlinflyer83

Give me one button: plan a new trip. Store general preferences ("do you prefer city center or close to destination address?", "what kind of rental car?", "do you like to travel on sunday?", "what hotel program is your priority?" , "what airline is your priority?"). Then, I should be able to click this magic plan a new trip button, enter destination address(es) and then you generate a whole proposed itinerary according to what you know about me. Dear god, If you got this right and make good suggestions 80% of the time? Bam, you just got alot of my travel business...and could really revolutionize corporate travel. Corporate travel agencies really suck, especially their web sites. The one-off buttons that exist today that say things like "book a hotel yet?" and link me to some lowest-cost thing is not what I want. I can do those things better myself, you have to be *better than me* at it.
This is an awesome idea. Many of us do repetitive travel and want certain parameters on the same trip, over and over again.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I just tried Tripit for a 9-segment itinerary plus two hotels. I must say that the final merged page looks so cluttered with icons and spurious information that it is almost useless.

I have to send the itinerary to many persons who need to know the arrival departures times and flight numbers. However, they don't need to know the PNRs: remember, those can be used to change a booking. These people also have no desire to learn about weather in those cities, attractions there, or about hotel options I have not booked. They also don't need to know the phone numbers for various hotels and airlines.

I was looking forward to a neat uncluttered compilation of my flights in chronological order, at least as an option if not the default. In the end I ended up making my own with copy+paste from confirmation emails into a text editor.

Last edited by aktchi; Mar 16, 2013 at 11:17 am
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: The standard ones.
Glad I found this thread

Glad I found this thread - was on the checkout screen for TripIt Pro with my credit card already entered!

I think I will keep my eyes out for some of the open issues to clear up! If there are any newer recommendations out there, I'm all ears...

I'll take a peek @ Kayak or Worldmate...
Old Mar 28, 2013, 6:33 pm

I'm sure glad I saw this thread. I was about to sign up for tripit for some upcoming trips. I will hold off for now.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 4:05 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Works great for me. Saves me lots of time.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:50 pm

Automating Tripit in 7 steps.

As many of you surely know, Tripit now allows Gmail users to grant Tripit access to scan for itineraries. This is not what this post will be about.

Instead, for those of us that continue to use Microsoft Exchange Servers for booking our work related travel, I will explain how to automate the process of sending Tripit your email confirmations. This is how I've been doing it since before the Gmail option came about.

1.In Outlook 2010, select File > Rules and Alerts. In Outlook 2007, select Tools > Rules and Alerts.

2. From the Email Rules tab, choose New Rule…

3. Under Start from a blank rule select Check messages when they arrive and click Next.

4. If you wish to only forward certain messages, you can select conditions for each message that gets forwarded. If you want all your messages to be forwarded, leave everything unchecked. You will get a message This rule will be applied to every message you receive. Is this correct? Select Yes.

5. Check forward it to people or distribution list. In the lower pane, click people or distribution list.

6. This will open the Rule Address window with the address book. Search for the email address(es) to which you would like to forward your mail. You can also just type [email protected] in the To field. Click OK then Next when done.

7. The box to setup exceptions appears. Select any exceptions you would like to apply to this rule and click Next.

8. Under Specify a name for this rule, give your rule a name. Check the box for Turn on this rule if you would like Outlook to start forwarding messages now. Check Run this rule now on messages already in “Inbox” (rarely used) if you would like Outlook to forward everything that is already in your Inbox . Click Finish and you’re done.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.