ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: BA GGL
Outbound routing code would be BA,EK,CX+ the plus means one or more flights on those airlines.

If you want only Y/B/H fares, in extension codes for each leg, put: f bc=Y bc=B bc=H
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:36 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Am I hallucinating or did the calendar date picker used to run from Sunday-to-Saturday? It now starts the week on Monday. (I wasn't originally paying attention and only noticed because the day of week was different than I expected on the search results page )

Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Still Sunday to Saturday for me.

Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Could it be dependent on your location?
In Europe, the week starts on Monday (which I, as a European, have to say makes a lot more sense to me), whereas in the US for example, it starts on Sunday.
It's quite common to see that difference when you open an airline's booking calendar on a European vs. the US website.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Strange. But I do only see Mon-Sun on my desktop computer, which is running FF60 (even in incognito mode). On smartphone (Opera) or Chromebook it's still Sun-Sat for me.

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
In Europe, the week starts on Monday (which I, as a European, have to say makes a lot more sense to me), whereas in the US for example, it starts on Sunday.
It's quite common to see that difference when you open an airline's booking calendar on a European vs. the US website.
I wondered if it could be something like that, but I'm US-based, and have not done any Europe-origin searches lately (nor VPNed to Europe) and I've only noticed it in the last day (which is roughly when I got the FF60 update)

EDIT: which doesn't rule out I guess that FF60 somehow makes it appear to ITA that I'm in a different locale.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
You could, of couse, try the BA website which caters to all tastes by offering both versions - you just need to look on different pages.

Back to ITA, I'm still seeing Sunday-Saturday, from the UK on a desktop with nothing special attached to it. I'd personally prefer Monday-Sunday, too.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure I agree it is unanimous (as a European).
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by Calchas
Not sure I agree it is unanimous (as a European).
I tested this quickly (just click "Run"):
https://dotnetfiddle.net/fzHnua

Apparently in Portugal and Malta indeed Sunday is the first day of the week.

I still think it's strange to start the week with the second half of the weekend though.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still think it's strange to start the week with the second half of the weekend though.
In the Abrahamic tradition God created the world on Sunday, then rested on the seventh day, the Sabbath, which is observed in the Jewish faith. I think the Romans borrowed the seven day week from the Egyptians who also had a “Sun day” as their first day of the week. The Christians moved to resting on Sunday instead of Saturday around the fourth century probably because of Easter Sunday. In some Muslim countries Friday and Saturday is the weekend.

Are we sufficiently off topic?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Calchas
In some Muslim countries Friday and Saturday is the weekend.

Are we sufficiently off topic?
Not before mentioning that some Muslim countries have had Thursday/Friday weekends, although the ones that have concerned me moved to Friday/Saturday on the basis that it's less disruptive when they have to do business with countries whose weekends are Saturday/Sunday.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:07 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

A recent question about using the ITA PowerTools Userscript was moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Can someone explain to me what's going on with KM 2700 on November 3? I'm getting 2 results for the same flight, one at 930 AM and one at 1050 AM for the same flight, MLA-IST.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: OWE
does anyone know how i can search the entire alliance without one particular airline?

ALLIANCE ONEWORLD in the advanced code but minus japan airlines let's say
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by staticx813
does anyone know how i can search the entire alliance without one particular airline?

ALLIANCE ONEWORLD in the advanced code but minus japan airlines let's say
Add ~JL or ~JL+ in the Routing Codes box. If you want to avoid even codeshares operated by them, ~O:JL etc.
golfmad likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: OWE
Originally Posted by Zorak
Add ~JL or ~JL+ in the Routing Codes box. If you want to avoid even codeshares operated by them, ~O:JL etc.
seems like i can get that to work, but it would pull up anything other than JL. but what if i only want airlines within the oneworld alliance but NOT JL only, and not any other alliance/airline?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.