ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:16 am

I am sure the answer to my question must lie somewhere on the board but I cannot find it; sorry if this question is a routine one.

I can find a Turkish CDG - BKK business fare for about £1300/Euro 1500 using ITA Matrix. Depart March 30 and return April 17. There are many different flight combinations around those days, they are the same price and they have been there for quite some time, couple of weeks or so. But I cannot find the fare from Expedia, Book with Matrix or with TK direct, either website or calling to try and book.

Is this an error by ITA Matrix? If not, how can I try to book it?

Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 9:24 am

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Have you tried using the ITA bookmarklet to generate booking links on the results page and book with Priceline? In my experience this is oftentimes the only way to replicate fares. Book with matrix never worked for me, it would always drop the fare codes.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Semicolon in between:

f bc=Z; aircraft t:330

Edit:
Ooops, somehow I missed that that was already answered. Sorry.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:52 am
Company Representative - ITA Software

Originally Posted by andydd
ITA Hacker

I found a new bug and it's available on the new GUI but not the old one (btw which is way easier to use both graphically and from user experience than the V5 version). It should be easy to replicate.
I hope that matrix is able to resolve simple queries like this one.
Old is gold.
From the looks of it V3 was returning an itinerary that departed the day after the search date -- that is, the V5 search shows 2023-02-13 to 2023-03-06, while the V3 result shows a journey with dates 2023-02-14 to 2023-03-07. So something isn't adding up here. Can you still reproduce this? I'd like to take a better look at this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
I have figured out how to build TP runs in Business class on BA/AA/AY using this tool, but now I find myself challenged and I need some help of the more skilled ITA Matrix users.

I am looking to fly GOT-LHR in coach, LHR-DFW in Premium Economy and return.
What do I enter, aside from "alliance oneworld", to find the best deals available for flying as described above?

Thank you in advance for all help.

LcS
Old Jan 26, 2023, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Use the multi-city search with "Cheapest available" and set "+cabin premium-coach" (or "+cabin premium-coach; alliance oneworld") for the segments that you want to have in Y+. Like this:

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Smile

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Use the multi-city search with "Cheapest available" and set "+cabin premium-coach" (or "+cabin premium-coach; alliance oneworld") for the segments that you want to have in Y+. Like this:

Thank you, exactly what I needed!

LcS
Old Jan 29, 2023, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Having some crazy issues with matrix.
Was booking a multi city itinerary, YVR, TYO. CGK with a stop over in TYO. It gives me a good price, but when I copy to ?book with matrix? and then click through to AA.com, it say one of the fares is not available.

i was able to book this once for myself and then it disappeared when I tried to book for a colleague.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 29, 2023, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Having some crazy issues with matrix.
Was booking a multi city itinerary, YVR, TYO. CGK with a stop over in TYO. It gives me a good price, but when I copy to ?book with matrix? and then click through to AA.com, it say one of the fares is not available.

i was able to book this once for myself and then it disappeared when I tried to book for a colleague.

Thoughts?
The obvious first step would be to reconstruct the itinerary in Matrix, to make sure it can still price it (i.e., the inventory is still available on the flights and the fare is still valid). If so, and you can't use Book with Matrix, then I'd try calling AA and feeding the agent the exact flights and booking inventory that Matrix shows, and see what price the AA agent gets. If you have an AmEx Platinum card, I think American Express Platinum Travel might be still waiving fees.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 11:09 am

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Use the bookmarklet as per the instructions on https://github.com/adamhwang/ita-matrix-powertools#tips
Old Jan 31, 2023, 1:48 pm

When I use ITA Matrix to find flights from one origin to multiple destinations (eg: LAX to BCN, MAD) using calendar of lowest fares, the fares that are shown are often more expensive than if I use the same info but use one origin to one destination (eg: LAX to BCN). Shouldn't multiple destinations be the lowest fare from origin to any of the destinations and return from any of the destinations and so multiple destinations should show the same or lower fares than a single one?
Old Jan 31, 2023, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AndieNarwhal
When I use ITA Matrix to find flights from one origin to multiple destinations (eg: LAX to BCN, MAD) using calendar of lowest fares, the fares that are shown are often more expensive than if I use the same info but use one origin to one destination (eg: LAX to BCN). Shouldn't multiple destinations be the lowest fare from origin to any of the destinations and return from any of the destinations and so multiple destinations should show the same or lower fares than a single one?
I routinely experience this as well. Frankly, my trust of ITA Matrix results continues to decline over time (sadly). I love this tool and honestly don't know what I'll do if/when it goes away, but having to constantly double check things removes a key benefit of the tool.

Regards
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:12 pm

It has always been like this. The tool simply can’t return all possible results. So the stricter the filtering, the better the results.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
It has always been like this. The tool simply can’t return all possible results. So the stricter the filtering, the better the results.
My understanding (which could easily be wrong) is that it isn't an issue with displaying all possibilities, rather it's a timeout imposed to constrain the resources used internally. So, adding additional criteria might or might not cause better results.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 11:09 pm

Yes, that’s what I meant.
LCSinTexas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.