ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aktchi
Sure, but consider the flip side of the same coin: what if one was searching Y and didn't discover that J was available for 4 GBP more?
That is why it says "at least" Y. Although Y is best avoided.

Originally Posted by aktchi
Do I want J or Y? Well, usually Y because experience has taught me to assume that I can't afford J, but I would surely prefer J when the difference is very little and affordable.

Similarly, do I want a 15-hour nonstop to some Asian city or 22 hours with a connection? The answer may seem obvious till you consider the details. For example, the nonstop arrives at 1AM forcing me to get a hotel or sit in some plastic chair in the arrival hall till my next flight at 10AM; in contrast, the connecting flight allows me to spend the extra time in a first class lounge somewhere with shower and food, followed by 7AM arrival and a comfortable forward connection.

These are real example, such things do happen. There isn't a software package written that will allow you to "widen your search" is all ways that are meaningful to human needs.
But the crux is that the software is widening your search and it is making decisions for you. And it does it in a way that we don't understand. Sure you have picked very easy edge cases. But what if it was 23 hours with a connection? 28 hours? 48 hours? Someone has to make a choice about which of those is acceptable. And the choice should be done by you, not by the machine. By including random options right now, you might think "oh look it has cleverly realized I will take a 87 minute connection [even though I said 90 minutes] to get in J, I'll buy that"---but for all you know, there was an 88 minute connection in F that for reasons unknown it excluded.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by angatol
I'd be unhappy at the GDS returning irrelevant results and I'd address it with the GDS, i.e. the one providing the service.
So when all that EF is doing is packaging the same information into a prettier format, why is it suddenly all EF's fault?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
So when all that EF is doing is packaging the same information into a prettier format, why is it suddenly all EF's fault?
A publisher is liable for the fault in his reproduction.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A very useful place for questions like this, loaded with information, is in thevTravel Tools Fourm: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...sk-thread.html

Remember, seat charts merely show seats that have been assigned, and seats that are blocked for various reasons from crew rest to you name it. Some passengers don't select / obsess over seats, and in some cases there may be groups (e.g. cruise passengers, etc.) without seat assignments.

When you see F0, J0, Y0 you can be pretty sure the airline is unwilling, unable to sell more seats, and in fact might be oversold.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Thanks JDiver - I wasn't aware of that thread!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
Thanks JDiver - I wasn't aware of that thread!
Threads now merged.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:29 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:31 am
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<Redacted by moderator>. EF says it's going to do X, it has an API of sorts, to BA's GDS that produces X+Y. EF then says to me: here's X and shows me X+Y instead of doing the trivial task of accounting for the fault in the API it's using and stripping out Y. If such a task of doing what you say you're doing is completely unprogrammable, perhaps the text saying "here's X" should be changed to "here isn't X"

<Redacted by moderator>
<redacted by moderator> [I don't] understand why it's such a big deal to ignore the subsequent lines that are obviously not direct flights.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 25, 2015 at 5:24 pm Reason: Snarky and snide remarks
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:21 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 4:22 am
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<redacted by moderator> [I don't] understand that delivering what you say you're going to deliver is such a big deal.
It is being delivered.

I could understand the complaint if you asked for non-stop BA flights, and all you got was connecting itineraries on other airlines.

But you're getting everything you ask for here. You're also sometimes getting some more, laid out in a way which does not confuse. That's why I find it impossible to understand why this should be considered anything more than a minor bemusement.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 25, 2015 at 5:38 pm Reason: Edited quoted post to conform to prior moderator edit
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:59 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:04 pm
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Can we please do away with the snarkiness and snide remarks?

Please review FT Rules 12 and 13.

Thank you,

TWA884
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
<redacted by moderator> [I don't] understand that delivering what you say you're going to deliver is such a big deal.
As far as I can tell, you're the only one complaining about this here.

ExpertFlyer is designed to be a nicer interface for basic queries of the GDS at a lower cost than direct GDS access (which I have had in the past at $45 per month). Like everyone else here has noted, it does exactly what we expect it to do: query the GDS and return the results in a pleasant-to-look-at format (plus email alerts and things).

You are asking them to change their entire system from being a mostly pass-through interface to a comprehensive system that understands the data the GDS is returning and sorts and filters it.

That's nice, but that also significantly increases the complexity of the product. Development resources would have to be committed to that. Much more intensive monitoring of the product would ensue to ensure that the software isn't filtering out the wrong stuff. The subscription price for EF would have to go up significantly to do that.

I don't want any of that. I want exactly what I get: the raw results from the GDS. And judging by the rest of the posts in this thread, everyone else but you wants the exact same thing.

You're welcome to be the outlier and want more out of the product, but when arguing your case in this thread, make sure to take reality into account. And that reality is both that what you want is not feasible within the current fee structure of the product and also that pretty much everyone else here is quite happy with the way it is.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 25, 2015 at 5:43 pm Reason: Conform to prior moderator edit of quoted post
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:31 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:44 am
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
As far as I can tell, you're the only one complaining about this here.
I was also complaining.

I understand your perspective but it isn't clear to me that ExpertFlyer is simply there to repackage whatever comes from the GDS.

I also raise eyebrows at suggestions that verifying externally-sourced data match requirements is difficult or expensive ... when I was a programming contractor I did that for free because I thought it was expected practise!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.