ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
I'm probably misunderstanding but if you mean a US coded HA flight (i.e., US*HA), surely the economy award booking code will map into X (as a US code) not T?

Unfortunately, HA don't publish their award availability publicly, so EF cannot see it.
Thanks for responding! If ExpertFlyer can't show that info because HA does not share it, fine.

Evidently I was better off just checking the AA site, as I did, over and over again, until I found exactly the route and dates I wanted.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by chicagoal
Thanks for responding! If ExpertFlyer can't show that info because HA does not share it, fine.

Evidently I was better off just checking the AA site, as I did, over and over again, until I found exactly the route and dates I wanted.
As one who uses AA miles on AA.com to book awards on HA flights, I can say you are correct that the fare bucket HA uses for partner awards (as in miles redeemed from AA for HA flights) in economy is T and for first class it is D. At one time, maybe a year ago, HA briefly for several weeks made these codes viewable through the GDS and EF was quick enough to pick this up and add it to their Awards & Upgrades tool. It was nice while it lasted, especially for setting Flight Alerts on EF, but HA soon took it off the GDS and EF lost the visibility.

I'm sure you know, but keep in mind that when using any partner airline miles the award or upgrade fare code to search for is the one of the airline you will be traveling on and not the one of the airline whose miles you will be using. If the fare code of the traveling airline is the same for mileage airline for a particular class it by coincidence although some airlines are trying to harmonize their codes like AA and US will eventually.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:11 am

^ Thanks, that makes it all clear. I did figure out what you noted about the proper codes but it was by trial and error. As a relative noob I need all the help I can get and I appreciate the tip!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Does ExpertFlyer check fare code frequently enough for alert?

Two days I set a fare alert for 3 months out. I set 3 alerts for AA flight in classes N, Q, O (separate alert for each). I just checked this morning on aa.com and N class had opened 1 seat so I booked and held.

But I never received an alert. The fare code was opened by AA within the past 8 hours - since I manually checked then with no availability.

Now I know that the EF algorithm for checking is proprietary, and I know that they check less frequently farther out - but is that effective enough to get an alert?

Of course, the 1 seat is now gone since I booked it - so I don't expect an alert now (today).
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:31 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by cova
Two days I set a fare alert for 3 months out. I set 3 alerts for AA flight in classes N, Q, O (separate alert for each). I just checked this morning on aa.com and N class had opened 1 seat so I booked and held.

But I never received an alert. The fare code was opened by AA within the past 8 hours - since I manually checked then with no availability.

Now I know that the EF algorithm for checking is proprietary, and I know that they check less frequently farther out - but is that effective enough to get an alert?

Of course, the 1 seat is now gone since I booked it - so I don't expect an alert now (today).
Alerts are checked several times a day, more so as the date of the flight gets closer. If you want to check to see if an alert would find open inventory if it checked at that moment, you can run a Quick Check from the View Saved Alerts page.

Without knowing the specifics of the alert we can't help you, please email [email protected] for help. There may be other factors involved such as married segment logic if your alert segments are part of a larger itinerary.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
Alerts are checked several times a day, more so as the date of the flight gets closer. If you want to check to see if an alert would find open inventory if it checked at that moment, you can run a Quick Check from the View Saved Alerts page.

Without knowing the specifics of the alert we can't help you, please email [email protected] for help. There may be other factors involved such as married segment logic if your alert segments are part of a larger itinerary.
Thanks - I will contact customer service with particulars. It was a simple DFW-DCA segment - alert set only for that flight - separate one for N, Q, O bucket. Nothing else.

Could be I just happened to check at around the same time that it opened. I then made the reservation, held it, the ticketed later that evening on the same day. It that is the case - then note sure if customer service can do much - since it would show when checked and not available, and then not available later since I booked it.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:46 am

Thanks - I will contact customer service with particulars. It was a simple DFW-DCA segment - alert set only for that flight - separate one for N, Q, O bucket. Nothing else.

Could be I just happened to check at around the same time that it opened. I then made the reservation, held it, the ticketed later that evening on the same day. It that is the case - then note sure if customer service can do much - since it would show when checked and not available, and then not available later since I booked it.
Email sent to customer service. AA opened another N class seat this morning and I am not getting an alert. (I already booked the ticket two days again anyway).

The alert if very clear in my alert settings. Will report back when I get Feedback from EF.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
AA opened another N class seat this morning and I am not getting an alert.
I know that ExpertFlyer Voice said "several times a day", but my experience would suggest that for flights a long way away it may be as little as once a day.

As an experiment, seeing as it no longer matters to you, you might want to see what happens over the next 24 hours.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA exp
expert flyer [finding"C" availability for AA]

Has anyone else had trouble seeing C availability on EF lately for AA for international flights? I am on 137 later this month and 50 in a couple months and C does not even appear in flight availability( A shows Up). Am I doing something wrong?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by moki1
Has anyone else had trouble seeing C availability on EF lately for AA for international flights? I am on 137 later this month and 50 in a couple months and C does not even appear in flight availability( A shows Up). Am I doing something wrong?
C doesn't show when using the availability option. The reason a shows there is because its a purchasable class as well, whilst C is not.

To search for C inventory, you'll have to use the award/upgrade tab.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA PRO
expert flyer

Also, a quirk of EF and AA is that if AA does not have seats available, sometimes it won't display the flight at all. Along with C, I will often choose another bucket that is almost sure to have availability on the flights in question, such as Y. This can help force them to display, even if it is as C0
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA exp
great, thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We'll move this to the Travel Tools Forum, where there's a dedicated ExpertFlyer assistance thread.

/Moderator
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
I'm trying to get flight status for US 4049 And keep getting the following error:
An unknown or unexpected error has occurred. Please contact us if this problem persists.

This also happens if I search by city (PHL-DCA). Any ideas?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
There seems to be a problem with flight status generally. I've been looking for information about two friends who are in the air at opposite ends of the earth, and getting nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.