ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by Calchas
Oh I'm sorry, I misapprehended.

Possibly the agent was in a different sales office to the one you are looking at on EF (which is either USA or UK)---availability differs by location (well, it will be the same within Europe but it might differ between LON and NYC, for instance).

However I9 to J0 is one hell of a difference, unless there are very specific reasons not to sell any more seats in a certain market. My suspicion is that the agent made a mistake and was looking at a different flight.

In principle the point of a GDS is that there is no lag, otherwise two people could buy the same seat at once.
Well.. this infobit came from a BA agent@LAX (when I was checking in for my flight). I wasn't sure if I will be able to make my connection at LHR so I decided to look into "what if" scenario.

She was definitely looking at the right flight because she confirmed it with flight time and flight number. However, she couldn't not see open space whereas EF was showing plenty of space. Weird and worrisome!
Old Nov 29, 2014, 4:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by jackal
@:-) There's nothing stopping you from programming it in, though, and running the necessary queries in the background and displaying the results all on one page, though.

I'm pretty sure whatever data sources AwardNexus uses only allow searching single city pairs at a time, but they've built an entire system around allowing you to construct super-complex queries, doing all the legwork for you, and displaying the result in a nice, easy-to-read format. EF could very well do the same if you wanted.
I guess they're trying to keep costs down (guessing they have some sort of quotas). Definitely something they could do. It's a bit disappointing there's not much happening on the product. Looks pretty similar to 4 years ago and still lots of little improvements like this that would help!
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:34 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BobbySteel
I guess they're trying to keep costs down (guessing they have some sort of quotas). Definitely something they could do. It's a bit disappointing there's not much happening on the product. Looks pretty similar to 4 years ago and still lots of little improvements like this that would help!
Since we are the only service that buys data legitimately, every new feature we add has cost constraints to consider. However to say that nothing has changed with ExpertFlyer in the last 4 years is just not true. We have added numerous features, mobile apps, and added a Free version for the first time in 10 years. You can see a list of the major announcements over the years in the "In the News" section at the bottom of the home page or on our main FT thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...es-thread.html
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:37 am

Expertflyer shows different F availability than UA for the same flight?

I'm monitoring a LH flight in hope of switching to F for an award travel. I notice that the same flight is also listed as a code share with United but the number of available seat is different. (LH shows F5 A0, while the UA shows F4 A4.)

I am pretty sure they're the same flight? Just wondering if people know what this is/means. Thanks!

Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I believe this is fairly common. The UA availability you re seeing probably is not accurate as LH doesn't release this to UA in the same real time as its own availability. I think if you were to try to book four A fares on the UA code share you'd find out that you get an error message. LH F award seats for non-MM status members is not very easy.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would add that one explanation for LH 5F versus UA 4F could be that UA codeshares operated by LH might show a maximum of four seats on EF. Some carriers show 4, some 9. I don't know that this is the case here but 4F 4A makes it suspicious that the maximum is 4.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'm also not sure you could book an award as a codeshare. Some airlines might allow it, but most don't.

Regardless, UA is basically, AFAIK, displaying obsolete information to you.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I'm calling this a question primarily about ExpertFlyer, and have moved it to the Travel Tools forum. It's possible that it is better suited to one of the airline forums, in which case it may be moved again. In any case, it's not an info desk topic.

Good luck!

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:42 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Exclamation US Air Award Availability Temporarily Unavailable

We wanted to give everyone a heads up. US Air made an IT change on their host system last night that had the unintended side effect of erasing the changes that were made to allow ExpertFlyer to see the US O,I,X award classes. Of course, because it's the Friday before the holidays, they have a code freeze in place and won't be able to apply the fix until the first week in January. As a result O,I,X on US won't be available in ExpertFlyer until then, however J class upgrades are still viewable.

Our AA/US contacts have asked us to pass along their apologies. Thank you for your understanding.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
We wanted to give everyone a heads up. US Air made an IT change on their host system last night that had the unintended side effect of erasing the changes that were made to allow ExpertFlyer to see the US O,I,X award classes. Of course, because it's the Friday before the holidays, they have a code freeze in place and won't be able to apply the fix until the first week in January. As a result O,I,X on US won't be available in ExpertFlyer until then, however J class upgrades are still viewable.

Our AA/US contacts have asked us to pass along their apologies. Thank you for your understanding.

First I commend you for the proactive notification to your users. Thank you.

Second I am pleased and reassured that AA/US are working with you to fix as I strongly suspect that certain other major U.S. carriers would not care less.

I am exec plat on AA (but will drop to plat next year) and the fact that AA have stronger support for expertflyer than DL or UA makes me more loyal to AA. This is a differentiator for AA and you should let them know that their frequent flyers appreciate this.

Thank you
DAK
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why is it that EF is treating one airport as though it were a city code?

I am trying to check availability on BA1, BA3 and codeshares of those two which operate from LCY to JFK. However the results are obscured by several flights from LHR, which are not what I want. (Or I would have written LON).
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:25 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Calchas
Why is it that EF is treating one airport as though it were a city code?

I am trying to check availability on BA1, BA3 and codeshares of those two which operate from LCY to JFK. However the results are obscured by several flights from LHR, which are not what I want. (Or I would have written LON).
ExpertFlyer does not determine the results that are returned or the airports considered, the reservation system/airline does that and will include alternative airports if it thinks there aren't enough or any available flights to satisfy your search.

However it doesn't look like there is currently an issue showing those flights when requested for a sample date:

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Flight Availability Search
Departing LCY on 01/05/15 12:00 AM for JFK
Flying BA  

Frequency
Flight        Stops  Depart             Arrive             Aircraft  Reliability     Available Classes
0 Connections
BA 1          1      LCY                JFK                318       Unavailable     J5 C3 D1 I0 
                     01/05/15 9:50 AM   01/05/15 2:20 PM             NA / NA

0 Connections
BA 3          1      LCY                JFK                318       Unavailable     J9 C4 D2 I0 
                     01/05/15 4:00 PM   01/05/15 8:30 PM             NA / NA
If you need help with a specific search then please email us at [email protected]
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:26 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by dkerr
First I commend you for the proactive notification to your users. Thank you.

Second I am pleased and reassured that AA/US are working with you to fix as I strongly suspect that certain other major U.S. carriers would not care less.

I am exec plat on AA (but will drop to plat next year) and the fact that AA have stronger support for expertflyer than DL or UA makes me more loyal to AA. This is a differentiator for AA and you should let them know that their frequent flyers appreciate this.

Thank you
DAK
You're welcome DAK, we will pass along your note of support.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Is it possible to create flight award alert for any date as long as it matches fare class and route? (instead of specific date)

For example, whenever O availability from DEN-FRA on LH is available, I would like an alert. Is that possible?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:14 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by greenythebeast
Is it possible to create flight award alert for any date as long as it matches fare class and route? (instead of specific date)

For example, whenever O availability from DEN-FRA on LH is available, I would like an alert. Is that possible?
Each Flight Alert is for a specific day/flight/class so that wouldn't be possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.