ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:22 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by angatol
Thanks for the explanation, but don't you think it's up to EF to filter the return values and satisfy the query parameters that the user asked for?
It would be nice but may increase their cost. Anyway, while conducting any search, be it at EF, ITA, Google, or even non-travel stuff at Amazon, I like them to search a little beyond my parameters, just in case it uncovers some exceptional opportunity. If not, I can always ignore these extra results.

The classic case is someone who thinks he prefers a nonstop, but hasn't paused to consider if that preference would hold in case a 1-stop was available at ½ the price? Similarly at ITA people get carried by powerful advanced routing language: one might specify 90 min minimum connection time, but again would one have really minded an 85 min connection at ½ the price?

That's why I want such services to provide information, but not make many and if possible any judgment calls. For judgments I prefer the buck to stop with me---and before stopping, keep moving to me.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aktchi
It would be nice but may increase their cost.
They already have the data in a sortable, selectable way. It's probably ten minutes of work.

Anyway, while conducting any search, be it at EF, ITA, Google, or even non-travel stuff at Amazon, I like them to search a little beyond my parameters, just in case it uncovers some exceptional opportunity. If not I can always ignore these extra results.

The classic case is someone who thinks he prefers a nonstop, but hasn't paused to think if that preference would hold in case a 1-stop was available at ½ the price? Similarly at ITA people get carried by powerful advanced routing language: you might specify 90 min minimum connection time, but again would you have really minded an 85 min connection at ½ the price?
If I specify a nonstop or a 90 minute minimum connection then that is precisely what I wanted. Were I willing to take an 85 minute connection then I would have said so. It's like when ITA offers me a four hour flight in Y when I explicitly said J or higher, saving me 4 GBP: no thanks. Or when ba.com thinks I might want to fly to CDG instead of ORY. Were I willing to do that, I would have said PAR not ORY as my destination. These little things do really annoy me because they waste my time.

That's why I want such services to provide information, but not make many and if possible any judgment calls. For judgments I prefer the buck to stop with me.
It's up to you to widen your search parameters. In this case, the service is actually making a decision for you now to show you some extra results and not others. We don't really know why it picks certain things outside the specified parameters, so really you have more uncertainty on whether you have obtained the best result than you had if it had done what you had asked.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:51 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:44 am
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:41 am

I just want a service that provides what it says it's going to provide. If I ask for non-stop BA flights between city pairs, and the service says that's what it's going to provide me with, then indirect flights on Alaska metal, not even with a BA codeshare, seem totally inappropriate to return. If it were me, I'd certainly filter out anything incorrectly returned from the GDS.
ExpertFlyer is "expert" flyer, it is designed for people that have a good understanding of travel reservation concepts and systems. I subscribe to EF precisely because of this. EF is designed to show exactly what the GDS returns and that is what I expect of it. I do not want EF adding any filters in front of whatever the GDS returns.

Now having said that, I do think it would be helpful to have enhanced sorting and filtering options on the results page, much like you can do on ITA Software's results page.

DAK
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:10 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 1:03 am
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkerr
I do not want EF adding any filters in front of whatever the GDS returns.

Now having said that, I do think it would be helpful to have enhanced sorting and filtering options on the results page, much like you can do on ITA Software's results page.

DAK
I can see there is some force in this argument.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:46 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dkerr
it would be helpful to have enhanced sorting and filtering options on the results page
Indeed. ^

Or a radio button on the search page: "I really have thought about my search criteria and would like results that meet them."
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
If EF offered me a command line to be able to type GDS queries and retrieve responses, I'd be more than happy with that.
Wouldn't you just end up being equally unhappy with the GDS for returning the same irrelevant results?

I can't see why this is an issue provided that the flights that match your request are returned, and returned at the top of the list. If you're looking for BA non-stops, IME they will be.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:20 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 1:40 am
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:48 am
Formerly known as awald

Thanks for the information and quick response. As I am new to this, can you tell me why SQ's QMJFKNS does not appear to work?

According to the fare rules, the ticket must be issued in Area 1 (North America) and travelling to Area 2/3, CHECK.
The flight must be transatlantic on SQ 25 or SQ 26. CHECK

Just trying to find the cheapest flight from NYC to BKK between 11/30 and 12/12.

Then, what is the best way to search for these fare classes? Going direct to some of the airlines does not allow you to input the fare class. Any good options for this?

On a separate note, are there any good ways to find cheap mileage runs?

All of the help is appreciated again.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Calchas
If I specify a nonstop or a 90 minute minimum connection then that is precisely what I wanted. Were I willing to take an 85 minute connection then I would have said so.
If you are decisive enough to see the difference between 89 min and 90 min connections, I admire that but very few of us are like that.

It's like when ITA offers me a four hour flight in Y when I explicitly said J or higher, saving me 4 GBP: no thanks.
Sure, but consider the flip side of the same coin: what if one was searching Y and didn't discover that J was available for 4 GBP more?

It's up to you to widen your search parameters.
This is certainly true as far as it goes. However, the entire field of programming exists because it is not easy to translate simple human needs and desires into computer code.

Do I want J or Y? Well, usually Y because experience has taught me to assume that I can't afford J, but I would surely prefer J when the difference is very little and affordable.

Similarly, do I want a 15-hour nonstop to some Asian city or 22 hours with a connection? The answer may seem obvious till you consider the details. For example, the nonstop arrives at 1AM forcing me to get a hotel or sit in some plastic chair in the arrival hall till my next flight at 10AM; in contrast, the connecting flight allows me to spend the extra time in a first class lounge somewhere with shower and food, followed by 7AM arrival and a comfortable forward connection.

These are real example, such things do happen. There isn't a software package written that will allow us to "widen search" in all ways that are meaningful to human needs.

Last edited by aktchi; Feb 25, 2015 at 10:56 am Reason: Typos!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
ExpertFlyer Confusion

Hey guys,

Little confusion about ExpertFlyer. Looking at YUL-MIA... in "available classes" it shows "J0 D0 I0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 W0 V0 G0 N0 S0 O0 Q0" which from my understanding shows that there are 0 flights available.

However, when I click the "seat gadget", I see that some seats are available.

Why is this? I am trying to understand all the intrinsic features about ExpertFlyer but this has me
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That particular flight seems not to be selling any more tickets. AA might be planning to cancel it.

Seat maps can be misleading because not everyone selects a seat when booking the flight.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If you look at the seats, All but 2 (11 E&F) either require a premium seat fee, Full Fare, limited to elites, Handicapped or completely blocked. I assume none of those without assignments have gone on to claims the 2 seats open to everyone

The icon key should be at the top right above the seat map showing which seats qualify as:

Available
Premium Only
Handicap-Accessible
Paid & Premium
Occupied
Blocked
Lavatory
Paid

Last edited by CDKing; Feb 24, 2015 at 1:54 pm
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for the help guys! A+

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.