Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 2, 12, 5:48 pm   #1

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk thread

I am flying with Emirates for the first time (yyz-dxb-ccu), with 0 skyward points.

I just found out about ExpertFlyer and started to some research on it, I am mainly interested in the free upgrades.
From the limited research I did, seems like you basically use your points to find and get free upgrades.
So my question is, for a flyer like me with zero points and first time flyer is there any upgrade options and is ExpertFlyer for me?
I don't fly much otherwise either.

Thanks and Happy New Year!!
diehardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 12, 6:05 pm   #2

Programs: Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Grazie Gold, Identity Platinum
Hi diehardfan, welcome to FT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardfan View Post
From the limited research I did, seems like you basically use your points to find and get free upgrades.
Well, since you're using points that you earned by flying, they aren't technically free
Quote:
So my question is, for a flyer like me with zero points and first time flyer is there any upgrade options and is ExpertFlyer for me?
Upgrade options - There might be a paid upgrade option available now, or one that will either be offered to you at online checkin or you can ask at the check in desk the day of your flight. You should not expect a free upgrade.

Expertflyer - Before a future flight, when you have some miles available from your upcoming flight, then you can look at the Emirates website to see how many miles are needed to upgrade and whether or not you have enough. If you do, the first move would be to try to find a flight where there's upgrade space available. Most airline websites will show this to you in some way. It might be easy to find availability on your own.

If you can't find availability on your own, and you have enough points to get an upgrade, then you can consider signing up for an ExpertFlyer subscription.
OverThereTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 12, 6:35 am   #3

Programs: AA PLATINUM
i use EF and found it great, BUT it is expensive for someone that not fly all the time, i would like to have the possibility to share it with someone and cost me $50 a year instead of $100
rookiecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 12, 12:43 pm   #4
Company Representative - ExpertFlyer.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiecz View Post
i use EF and found it great, BUT it is expensive for someone that not fly all the time, i would like to have the possibility to share it with someone and cost me $50 a year instead of $100
ExpertFlyer does have a Basic service level that allows for 250 searches a month for $4.99 per month. Details on features here: http://www.expertflyer.com/frequent-flyer-programs
Old Mar 24, 12, 1:22 pm   #5

Programs: AA PLATINUM
yeah i know but i needed some of the full service features.
rookiecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 12, 2:20 pm   #6

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiecz View Post
yeah i know but i needed some of the full service features.
While seemingly unethical, and by no means do I condone this, but whats wrong with you and a friend sharing a membership?
Old Apr 4, 12, 10:23 pm   #7

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
ExpertFlyer Question On Flight Information

I will ask my question "publically" so that everyone can benefit from the answer.

When pulling up flight status by flight number, for most major carriers, you can see the flight information, as an airline agent would in their respective system, which is great.

Quote:
3888/04APR
P IAD/OUT 500P E00.05 ☨
P IAD/OFF 529P
P HPN/ON 646P
P HPN/IN 650P L00.01 ☨
P HPN/OUT 710P ON TIME ☨
P HPN/OFF 725P
P IAD/ON 843P
P IAD/IN 847P E00.03 ☨

SKED IAD ORIG 505P GTD A6A SHIP 7651☨
MD TO SEE MORE

However, as shown above, when airlines such as United have multi-segment flight numbers operating, all the information is not visible on the first page, and information such as the departure/arrival gate are hidden. Is there any chance either ExpertFlyer could include the second page of information, or have a way for the user to "MD" to the next page?

Also, the information as displayed above is only available when searching by flight number. If the flight number is not known, one has to first search by city pair, then find the flight number, and then go back and search by flight number. Any chance the flight info could be available by link from the city pair search results?

Just my two gripes. Thanks for any input.
Old Apr 5, 12, 2:55 pm   #8
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwildnj View Post
While seemingly unethical, and by no means do I condone this, but whats wrong with you and a friend sharing a membership?
Violating the T&C of the program seems to be well beyond "seemingly" unethical and crossing much more towards illegal. Stealing from the people who build these tools is never the correct solution.
sbm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 12, 11:26 pm   #9

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Violating the T&C of the program seems to be well beyond "seemingly" unethical and crossing much more towards illegal. Stealing from the people who build these tools is never the correct solution.
That sound you hear is applause from all the corporate lobbyists in the room.

Violating a corporation's terms and conditions is not "illegal." Police will not bust down my door if I let my nephew play a computer game that I paid for. Now, if the company wants to argue I've done them some financial harm by running an arcade out of my house, the burden is on them to not be laughed out of civil court. I think this country has done more than enough to encourage free enterprise; we needn't give corporations exclusive access to the law, too.
exmidex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 12, 10:51 am   #10

How do I use ExpertFlyer to find UA award seats? (updated title)

Hi,

I see people refer to expert flyer. I've reached, and looked at a website, but I'm not sure I fully understand.

So, can someone briefly explain it to me?

HEre's my current question. I'm wait listed for a mileage upgrade to business for my return JFK-SFO on Monday. On the outbound I got our upgrades (mine and my husband's) because the great people here told me there was R and RN available and to call. I did, and after some rigamorol (she wanted to pull miles even though the'd already been pulled), we got the upgrades.

So can expert flyer alert me to available business upgrades?

Thanks very much!
abbydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 12, 10:55 am   #11

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydancer View Post
So can expert flyer alert me to available business upgrades?

Thanks very much!
Yes, you can set up "flight alerts", and have an email sent to you when a particular condition is met for the flight in question (for example RN > 0).

If you use gmail for your email (and probably other providers as well), you can then also set up a filter to watch for these alert emails, and for example, text your cell phone when one of them arrives.

p.s. got lucky on the "call if RN > 0" for a waitlist thing... they aren't supposed to be doing that because there might be people ahead of you on the waitlist...
flyer215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 12, 10:56 am   #12

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, US Gold, DL Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Yes!

You can sign up for an annual or a monthly subscription. There is a section for alerts that allows you to specify a specific flight and requirement (for example, R and RN) for the upgrades. Pretty easy to use and minimal learning curve.
mdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 12, 10:58 am   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdobbins View Post
Yes!

You can sign up for an annual or a monthly subscription. There is a section for alerts that allows you to specify a specific flight and requirement (for example, R and RN) for the upgrades. Pretty easy to use and minimal learning curve.
THanks. I gather the free version won't do what i want? I'm currently flying about 8 times a year - enough for at least silver, hoping to stay gold.
abbydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 12, 11:01 am   #14

Programs: AC A100
Totally worth the subscription if you suffer from upgrade waitlist anxiety- or even to preplan to avoid the waitlist! I am an elementary level user but have found the alert system easy to set up. I am also starting to use the fare tool to pull fares on obscure routes that the airline search function can't (or won't) find; means a call to the TA, but has also saved me big $$ to JNB and DXB on *A.
canolakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 12, 11:03 am   #15

Programs: SPG(PLT), Hyatt(Diamond), Hertz(5*), UA(1K)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer215 View Post
p.s. got lucky on the "call if RN > 0" for a waitlist thing... they aren't supposed to be doing that because there might be people ahead of you on the waitlist...
if that's the policy then what's the purpose of setting up an EF alert? it would seem to me that it should go automatically in order then, no? not sure what calling in would get me in that case.

honest question, not rhetorical. i'm planning on flying on some US-asia tickets later and hoping to use SWU's so i'm trying to figure this all out too.