Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat

New to this site. But cant figure something out.

Is there a way to set an "alert", when a specific AA award type appears?

As in, " Im waiting for a 30K MilesSAAver Biz award, but right now there are only 60k AAnytime First. Alert me if or when the 30K award seat opens up"

Is this possible?

HP
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Yes, but you have to have a full membership (not the cheaper one). On the left hand side of the home screen you'll see a button for "Create New Flight Alert". You'll just have to know what award code you are looking for. Works like a charm.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat
Got it working now. Thanks for the response and direction.

HP
Old Nov 10, 2010, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Since the question has been asked, answered, and problem solved i'll close this thread.

In general Expertflyer discussion goes here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...es-thread.html

Regards,
Gary
aka gleff
MilesBuzz moderator
Old Jan 2, 2012, 5:48 pm

I am flying with Emirates for the first time (yyz-dxb-ccu), with 0 skyward points.

I just found out about ExpertFlyer and started to some research on it, I am mainly interested in the free upgrades.
From the limited research I did, seems like you basically use your points to find and get free upgrades.
So my question is, for a flyer like me with zero points and first time flyer is there any upgrade options and is ExpertFlyer for me?
I don't fly much otherwise either.

Thanks and Happy New Year!!
Old Jan 2, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Hi diehardfan, welcome to FT!

Originally Posted by diehardfan
From the limited research I did, seems like you basically use your points to find and get free upgrades.
Well, since you're using points that you earned by flying, they aren't technically free
So my question is, for a flyer like me with zero points and first time flyer is there any upgrade options and is ExpertFlyer for me?
Upgrade options - There might be a paid upgrade option available now, or one that will either be offered to you at online checkin or you can ask at the check in desk the day of your flight. You should not expect a free upgrade.

Expertflyer - Before a future flight, when you have some miles available from your upcoming flight, then you can look at the Emirates website to see how many miles are needed to upgrade and whether or not you have enough. If you do, the first move would be to try to find a flight where there's upgrade space available. Most airline websites will show this to you in some way. It might be easy to find availability on your own.

If you can't find availability on your own, and you have enough points to get an upgrade, then you can consider signing up for an ExpertFlyer subscription.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: AA PLATINUM
i use EF and found it great, BUT it is expensive for someone that not fly all the time, i would like to have the possibility to share it with someone and cost me $50 a year instead of $100
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:43 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by rookiecz
i use EF and found it great, BUT it is expensive for someone that not fly all the time, i would like to have the possibility to share it with someone and cost me $50 a year instead of $100
ExpertFlyer does have a Basic service level that allows for 250 searches a month for $4.99 per month. Details on features here: http://www.expertflyer.com/frequent-flyer-programs
Old Mar 24, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA PLATINUM
yeah i know but i needed some of the full service features.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by rookiecz
yeah i know but i needed some of the full service features.
While seemingly unethical, and by no means do I condone this, but whats wrong with you and a friend sharing a membership?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
ExpertFlyer Question On Flight Information

I will ask my question "publically" so that everyone can benefit from the answer.

When pulling up flight status by flight number, for most major carriers, you can see the flight information, as an airline agent would in their respective system, which is great.

3888/04APR
P IAD/OUT 500P E00.05 ☨
P IAD/OFF 529P
P HPN/ON 646P
P HPN/IN 650P L00.01 ☨
P HPN/OUT 710P ON TIME ☨
P HPN/OFF 725P
P IAD/ON 843P
P IAD/IN 847P E00.03 ☨

SKED IAD ORIG 505P GTD A6A SHIP 7651☨
MD TO SEE MORE

However, as shown above, when airlines such as United have multi-segment flight numbers operating, all the information is not visible on the first page, and information such as the departure/arrival gate are hidden. Is there any chance either ExpertFlyer could include the second page of information, or have a way for the user to "MD" to the next page?

Also, the information as displayed above is only available when searching by flight number. If the flight number is not known, one has to first search by city pair, then find the flight number, and then go back and search by flight number. Any chance the flight info could be available by link from the city pair search results?

Just my two gripes. Thanks for any input.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kwildnj
While seemingly unethical, and by no means do I condone this, but whats wrong with you and a friend sharing a membership?
Violating the T&C of the program seems to be well beyond "seemingly" unethical and crossing much more towards illegal. Stealing from the people who build these tools is never the correct solution.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:26 pm

Wink

Originally Posted by sbm12
Violating the T&C of the program seems to be well beyond "seemingly" unethical and crossing much more towards illegal. Stealing from the people who build these tools is never the correct solution.
That sound you hear is applause from all the corporate lobbyists in the room.

Violating a corporation's terms and conditions is not "illegal." Police will not bust down my door if I let my nephew play a computer game that I paid for. Now, if the company wants to argue I've done them some financial harm by running an arcade out of my house, the burden is on them to not be laughed out of civil court. I think this country has done more than enough to encourage free enterprise; we needn't give corporations exclusive access to the law, too.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:51 am

How do I use ExpertFlyer to find UA award seats? (updated title)

Hi,

I see people refer to expert flyer. I've reached, and looked at a website, but I'm not sure I fully understand.

So, can someone briefly explain it to me?

HEre's my current question. I'm wait listed for a mileage upgrade to business for my return JFK-SFO on Monday. On the outbound I got our upgrades (mine and my husband's) because the great people here told me there was R and RN available and to call. I did, and after some rigamorol (she wanted to pull miles even though the'd already been pulled), we got the upgrades.

So can expert flyer alert me to available business upgrades?

Thanks very much!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
Originally Posted by abbydancer
So can expert flyer alert me to available business upgrades?

Thanks very much!
Yes, you can set up "flight alerts", and have an email sent to you when a particular condition is met for the flight in question (for example RN > 0).

If you use gmail for your email (and probably other providers as well), you can then also set up a filter to watch for these alert emails, and for example, text your cell phone when one of them arrives.

p.s. got lucky on the "call if RN > 0" for a waitlist thing... they aren't supposed to be doing that because there might be people ahead of you on the waitlist...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.