Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

OpenFlights.org mapping tool now open

OpenFlights.org mapping tool now open

Old Jun 26, 09, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Pointer: Route maps now available

Just a pointer: OpenFlights now incorporates Airline Route Mapper's massive 53,000-route database, so you can check out the routes for virtually any airport, and there's a handy "Quick search" option as well. Mosy on to the separate thread for more:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...te-mapper.html

And a smaller announcement for flight loggers: the long-buggy autocomplete functionality has now been tweaked a bit, so if you pick a suggested airport but change your mind, a single press of backspace will clear the entire field. Let me know how this works out for you. Firefox users will also find that a few rough edges have literally been smoothed out
Old Jul 2, 09, 3:15 am
Original Poster

German, Lithuanian, Polish, Swedish

More languages available now: German, Lithuanian, Polish and Swedish were launched this morning!

Still looking for more translators, in particular Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese and Arabic, although others are more than welcome as well. Drop me a line if interested ^
Old Jul 23, 09, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Spanish, Portuguese

And Spanish and Portuguese are now available as well!

Ahora disponible en español, agora disponível em português
Old Sep 16, 09, 9:32 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Incorrect IATA code

IATA code GZ incorrectly maps to "Rotation International Air Services", when it is actually Air Rarotonga.
Old Sep 17, 09, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ralfp View Post
IATA code GZ incorrectly maps to "Rotation International Air Services", when it is actually Air Rarotonga.
Fixed, thanks! ^

I guess the airline database is starting to get pretty accurate when the remaining bug reports involve major airlines like this
Old Sep 19, 09, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Another (minor) bug.

The signup link (in small text, next to the Log In button) works fine, with a link of http://openflights.org/html/settings?new=yes.

But if you enter an incorrect username/password in the sign in boxes and click Log In, the resulting page says, "Login failed. Create account or reset password?"

The "Create account" option links to http://openflights.org/html/signup.html, which gives a 404 error.

I'm now registered for OpenFlights.org. I haven't yet imported my FM data--I'd like to know if progress was ever made on the suggestion earlier for the FM import feature to be expanded to work more automatically for FM Premium members (which I am).
Old Sep 20, 09, 1:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
Another (minor) bug.

The signup link (in small text, next to the Log In button) works fine, with a link of http://openflights.org/html/settings?new=yes.

But if you enter an incorrect username/password in the sign in boxes and click Log In, the resulting page says, "Login failed. Create account or reset password?"

The "Create account" option links to http://openflights.org/html/signup.html, which gives a 404 error.

I'm now registered for OpenFlights.org. I haven't yet imported my FM data--I'd like to know if progress was ever made on the suggestion earlier for the FM import feature to be expanded to work more automatically for FM Premium members (which I am).
As one who just made the data dump from FM to OF... its not that bad (as a free loader )

Just follow the instructions, and if you have some data that does not fit (like two of my airports did not show up - PDT & TYE) just do a google of them to find their lat/long (wikipedia works great) and elevation... [probably an issue with your obscure Northern Canadian flight...]

I also think the google earth overlay is pretty cool (although the lines are not Great Circles )
Old Sep 23, 09, 7:59 am
Original Poster

D'oh! How'd that survive unnoticed so long? Should be fixed now, thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately this is unlikely to happen as long as FM chooses to hoard their data and not provide any export formats other than PDF.

I am, however, considering a "one-click tool" that would let OpenFlights log into your FM account (provided you're willing to share your password) and slurp up the data by itself. A donation or two from FM users interested in this might speed up the development process

beckoa, re: Google Earth exports, you should be getting great circle (curved) paths? For speed reasons, though, they're not really curves, just approximations.
Old Sep 23, 09, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Can you get the data from the PDF? (I'm not sure how hard it is to extract text from a PDF.)

I'd like all of my information to transfer--including everything that doesn't show up on the summary page, such as the notes I've input about each flight.

If you're not already a premium member with your own competition, I can supply an example PDF...
Old Sep 24, 09, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Can you get the data from the PDF? (I'm not sure how hard it is to extract text from a PDF.)
I haven't seriously tried it, but I have examined one of those exported PDFs long enough to know that it would be fairly painful to do.

I'd like all of my information to transfer--including everything that doesn't show up on the summary page, such as the notes I've input about each flight.
This, too, might be resolvable by building a little robot that logs in as you and slurps data off every page -- but encouraging the FM team to provide sensible export formats (eg. CSV, XML) and/or add the notes to the summary page would still be the easiest option.
Old Oct 20, 09, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Cool Airport codes and clusters

Rolled out a significant upgrade yesterday, with two major new features: airport codes now added onto the map itself, with the full airport name & location shown if you hover your mouse over the icon, and a funky clustering system that attempts to decongest cluttered maps when you're zoomed out by rolling airports together, like so:

Details on the blog:

Airport codes and dynamic clusters, oh my

Known bug: some users are getting "phantom flights" with no airport at the other end, we're working on it. If anything else is wonky, let me know!
Old Dec 7, 09, 9:29 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
I tried to import some flights from FM today, but after I hit the Upload button the page hangs for a while and then times out… I'm using Safari 4.0.4 on Snow Leopard.
Old Dec 11, 09, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Seems to have been a transient glitch, but do let me know if you run into any problems -- the FM imports are one of the hairier bits of code.

Not much in the way of new features lately, but I expect to be able to put in some elbow great in early Jan and roll out some long-pending stuff. In the meantime, the route map is now updated to Dec 2009 and the geographical/NASA map is working again.
Old May 6, 10, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Important: Password reset required for some pre-2009 users

Just a heads-up to some early users who may not have spotted the message elsewhere: due to some changes in our login system, if your username contains upper case characters and you signed up before January 2009, you'll be unable to login from May 15th onwards. To check if you're affected, browse here:

http://openflights.org/help/resetpw-test

And if you are, there's now an automated "reset password" function that you can use to fix up our account. More details on the blog:

http://openflights.org/blog/2010/05/...re-2009-users/

Sorry about the hassle!
Old Aug 16, 10, 10:33 am

Programs: LH
Out of curiosity, around how many members does openflights.org have nowadays?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: