Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OpenFlights.org mapping tool now open

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidwu
A minor request (not sure if others want this), when exporting to CVS, can the Lat/Lon coords of the airport be included too, or at least for paying users? I've flown some very small airports or strips that I've to use custom code and coords. But I want to keep a local copy of those coords I input online too.
Hmm, interesting idea -- please add it to SourceForge. There is a theoretical workaround of taking the airport data (which also includes user-entered airports) and matching the airport IDs there to the airport IDs in your CSV export, but that's not very practical without your own database...

Edited: Also, KMZ exports (for Google Earth) include both airport codes and coordinates. KMZ is XML, but fairly easy to parse for other purposes as well. Not a replacement for a full backup though...

Last edited by jpatokal; Nov 8, 2010 at 1:40 am
Old Nov 6, 2010, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I can almost always crash a browser with OF on adding the 3rd 'more' and typoing on the airport name, and attempting to correct, it totally locks up FF and Chrome both, on multiple computers.
sometimes the auto complete just doesn't work well, and I think it is the problem there.

Nice site otherwise
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steph3n
I can almost always crash a browser with OF on adding the 3rd 'more' and typoing on the airport name, and attempting to correct, it totally locks up FF and Chrome both, on multiple computers.
Tried to replicate this just now, but works for me. I'd greatly appreciate it if you can send me the exact sequence to make this happen (every keystroke and mouse click in order) and details of your operating system.

Also, can you clarify what you mean by "crash"? Freezes up, pops up an error, dies completely with the browser window disappearing...?

sometimes the auto complete just doesn't work well, and I think it is the problem there.
The autocomplete is indeed buggy, but this is the first I've heard of it causing crashes of any sort
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:06 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Minor bug - IATA code code BX is incorrectly assigned to Coast Air, not Air Busan
Old Nov 11, 2010, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Circumknowitall
Minor bug - IATA code code BX is incorrectly assigned to Coast Air, not Air Busan
Actually it's a correct assignment, it just happens that Coast Air stopped flying in 2008. I've tagged Coast as inactive and assigned BX to Air Busan as the active operator.

In other news, will need to get to work on this at some point...
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by jpatokal
The autocomplete is indeed buggy
Looks like it's autocompleting some arrival times now, presumably based on data entered by other users.

However, due to the buggy tab order, there's something that (no pun intended) bugs me.

1) Tab from date, which is already entered from previous segment
2) Type departure time, then click to arrival time (because I have those two numbers in front of me at the same time, and tabbing goes to the wrong place)
3) Click to arrival city (since departure city is already entered from previous segment) and fill out
4) After it auto-completes, hit tab, and the arrival time I just entered is overwritten with an auto-filled one.

If possible, an auto-filled field should not overwrite something already manually entered.

Auto-complete on the aircraft is buggy, too--I kept typing Boeing 737-800 and it kept getting overwritten with Boeing 737-400. (Confusingly, too, if it thought that it auto-filled Boeing 737-400 and I went to backspace over the 400 to type 800, it would delete the whole entry rather than just the final characters.) I was also trying to type Bombardier Q400, and as I typed, it kept scrolling down the list of Airbus aircraft. After I finished typing and hit tab, it replaced Bombardier Q400 with Airbus A320. Typing Bombardier Q400 a second time worked.

Also, when saving a flight and moving on to the next flight, the date, departure city, and carrier are carried forward (as they should be), but so is the flight number, which obviously is not going to be the same...

Last, I've had the page error out and tell me a valid source or destination airport needs to be input even though it is filled in correctly (either pre-filled from the previous segment or auto-filled). Ideally, the page would be smart enough to accept any three-letter airport code and process it to the correct code after submitting the page, since auto-fill doesn't always work properly or people move too quickly to let auto-fill work (there appears to be a slight delay after typing before auto-fill will fill the field).

Don't worry, I still like OF!

Last edited by jackal; Nov 14, 2010 at 5:09 am
Old Nov 14, 2010, 6:06 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by jackal
Looks like it's autocompleting some arrival times now, presumably based on data entered by other users.
IIRC, jpatokal figured out a formula to estimate arrival time based on departure time and physical length of the flight -- something like 0:30 per 500 km plus 0:30 for takeoff and landing.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joejones
IIRC, jpatokal figured out a formula to estimate arrival time based on departure time and physical length of the flight -- something like 0:30 per 500 km plus 0:30 for takeoff and landing.
Ah! It's not too bad of a formula--I'm usually only changing the arrival time by somewhere between 5-10 minutes (unless it's a flight with strong head/tailwinds).

I still like (and would pay for) integration with FlightStats (and TripIt, as someone else suggested), but this is a good start (especially if the tab order could be changed to make sense so the auto-fill works as expected).
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
As joejones states, arrival times are crudely estimated based on distance; this is not a new feature, and has been there for quite some time.

1) Tab from date, which is already entered from previous segment
2) Type departure time, then click to arrival time (because I have those two numbers in front of me at the same time, and tabbing goes to the wrong place)
At the moment, the tab ordering should be completely skipping over departure time! What browser are you using?

If possible, an auto-filled field should not overwrite something already manually entered.
Yes, this is the rule it's already supposed to be obeying. I'll double-check the logic.

Auto-complete on the aircraft is buggy, too--I kept typing Boeing 737-800 and it kept getting overwritten with Boeing 737-400. (Confusingly, too, if it thought that it auto-filled Boeing 737-400 and I went to backspace over the 400 to type 800, it would delete the whole entry rather than just the final characters.) I was also trying to type Bombardier Q400, and as I typed, it kept scrolling down the list of Airbus aircraft. After I finished typing and hit tab, it replaced Bombardier Q400 with Airbus A320. Typing Bombardier Q400 a second time worked.
Yeah, autocomplete is currently pretty much hosed, a total rewrite is in the works.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpatokal
At the moment, the tab ordering should be completely skipping over departure time! What browser are you using?
Firefox (latest, whatever it always is).

Appreciate the attention you're paying. It's a great product, and the bugs are certainly ones I can work around.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Is site down?

First of all: Love the site. Beats FM by miles. I also enjoyed seeing the type of support provided by the developer in FT.
Last week I spend a few good hours entering my flight information and it is amazing how much I traveled. Much more then I thought.
However, since yesterday I am not able to access the site.
I tried it from home and from work. Or is this just me?
Old Nov 29, 2010, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dual Citizen Expat
First of all: Love the site. Beats FM by miles. I also enjoyed seeing the type of support provided by the developer in FT.
Last week I spend a few good hours entering my flight information and it is amazing how much I traveled. Much more then I thought.
However, since yesterday I am not able to access the site.
I tried it from home and from work. Or is this just me?
It was running really slowly earlier this morning but now appears to be completely down.

Here, too: http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/openflights.org
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I was having issues yesterday afternoon but it worked around midnight Central last night. Down right now for me.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Better late than never... so yes, the site was down briefly on Nov 29th, but has been up and running ever since. Follow @openflights on Twitter for advance notice of scheduled upgrades and status updates on site issues:

http://twitter.com/openflights
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:57 am

I just got gold status, and it's time to play the DYKWIA card to its full extent.

For some reason, in the bottom panel, even though I've got it set to default to Top 10, it always shows the help panel when I log in. Also, I can't find the e-mail for support on the website.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.