Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

OpenFlights.org mapping tool now open

OpenFlights.org mapping tool now open

Old May 13, 09, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Banners, blog badges and signatures, oh my!

Originally Posted by rofra View Post
Yes, I really like the Facebook application but I'm additionally looking for a standalone banner like you mentioned. That would be really nice. I created a new ticket concerning that.
OpenFlights banners are now available! Here's what mine looks like:

Contents are updated hourly. Using them couldn't be much easier, just link to http://openflights.org/banner/username.png, or click on the Settings button while logged in to get pregenerated code for HTML and phpBB.
Old May 13, 09, 3:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, HH Gold
Unfortunately I can't see the banners. Not here, not in your blog post.
When I open your (or my) banner image it is a white 1x1 pixel GIF file.
Old May 13, 09, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately I can't see the banners. Not here, not in your blog post.
When I open your (or my) banner image it is a white 1x1 pixel GIF file.
Works for me in Firefox and IE, on Vista and on Linux. What browser are you using?
Old May 13, 09, 4:11 am

Firefox 3.0.10 and/or IE 8. The banner isn't display with any of them.

Old May 13, 09, 4:29 am

Thought it could be an Adblocker - but no change with all add-ons/extensions disabled.

On a remote computer (IE7) it works fine. Could be a problem with my computer (although I've no idea what kind of).

The banner looks really great! Only one little suggestion: The miles flown would be better readable with a "," as 1,000 separator (145,341 instead of 145341).

Thanks for realizing this user request jpatokal ^
Old May 13, 09, 11:33 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
is it just me, when I go to the link for my map: http://openflights.org/user/JerseyVics the general map loads for all flights of the day, I can't view my map until I log in....
Old May 14, 09, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JerseyVics View Post
is it just me, when I go to the link for my map: http://openflights.org/user/JerseyVics the general map loads for all flights of the day, I can't view my map until I log in....
Works for me. Did you log out before trying to view /user/JerseyVics? Please drop me a line if you can figure out a way to reproduce the problem.
Old May 14, 09, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by JerseyVics View Post
Can confirm that. It works without a flaw with Firefox 3, but it does not work with IE (8 - with and without compatibility mode). With IE there are only the last 200 flights displayed, no particular information about the user.
Old May 14, 09, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Can confirm that. It works without a flaw with Firefox 3, but it does not work with IE (8 - with and without compatibility mode). With IE there are only the last 200 flights displayed, no particular information about the user.
D'oh! Looks like IE and FF handle regexps a little differently. Should be fixed now, so please try again, and CTRL-F5 if it doesn't work the first time around.
Old May 14, 09, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by jpatokal View Post
D'oh! Looks like IE and FF handle regexps a little differently. Should be fixed now, so please try again, and CTRL-F5 if it doesn't work the first time around.
Yes, now it works the way it should ^
Old Jun 5, 09, 9:51 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Can edit other peoples's flights

There's a bug that seems to allow me to edit the current new fights (what people not logged in see at openflights.org). I'll PM the details to jpatokal.

Edit: Dang; I cannot edit the subject line to correct the grammar.
Old Jun 5, 09, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ralfp View Post
There's a bug that seems to allow me to edit the current new fights (what people not logged in see at openflights.org). I'll PM the details to jpatokal.
Yes, this is a known bug, although it wasn't entered into Sourceforge (it is now). However, it's not as bad as it looks: the flights listed are not the actual new flights, but copies of new flights, and the original flights are not affected.

Technical explanation: your session is maintained on the backend server, and when it times out, your user ID gets set back to 1 (the "demo" ID, shown when not logged in, and generated once a day from recently entered flights). So when you click on "List flights", it translates to "list all flights for UID 1", and you get the demo flights to edit...

This can also happen for some other panes (Analyze, Top 10, etc). I'll try to work out a solution, so the server can differentiate between genuine demo users and users who are "supposed to be" logged in but have actually timed out.
Old Jun 11, 09, 5:25 am

Programs: Star Gold
The blog-link on the first page doesn't work.!
Old Jun 11, 09, 7:11 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by Gnopps View Post
The blog-link on the first page doesn't work.!
It only works if you leave out the "www"
Old Jun 12, 09, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up OpenFlights in French, Finnish, Japanese and Russian

Originally Posted by Gnopps View Post
The blog-link on the first page doesn't work.
Still not sure what's happening here, but SmilingBoy debugged it -- "www.openflights.org/blog" doesn't work, "openflights.org/blog" does. I've fixed the main page link to always point to the second version.

In happier news, after lots of rooting about in the back-end to prepare for this, OpenFlights now comes in multiple language versions: French, Finnish, Japanese and Russian, to be precise. Just pick your favorite language from the pulldown on the front page, or select your choice from the Settings page. Work has started on German and Polish, and we're looking for volunteers to help out with other languages. No technical skills needed, just some language ability and patience -- check out the blog for details.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: