OpenFlights.org mapping tool now open

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OpenFlights.org mapping tool now open

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:15 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
In my lofty opinion, great circle mapping would make this a "FlightMemory killer," even if it were really rough (say, plotting four or five intermediate points on routes of more than 5000 km, or something like that).

The great circles don't make much of a difference if you're flying short-hauls or kangaroo routes all the time, but for frequent transpaccers like me they are a must-have.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Lightbulb Minor update

Just pushed out a new version of OpenFlights, please reload with CTRL-F5 to make sure you're using the latest version. Quite a few changes, but they're mostly in the background:

- Support for private flights (not on commercial airlines) added.
- Support for totally private (non-IATA, non-ICAO) airports added.
- Google Ads now added, and the bottom panel (stats, lists of flights, new flights) etc now works on a "stack" system.
- Fixed a bunch of minor bugs/quirks reported on SourceForge (thank you, Mr. Anonymous!)

And for joejones: [ 2113606 ] Great circle mapping for long routes

Building the FlightMemory.com import tool is coming along nicely, but it's complex enough that I'll test it privately for a while before unleashing it on the world sometime next week. Hang in there
Old Sep 20, 2008, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Imports from FlightMemory!

It took a bit of hacking, but the first version of the FlightMemory import tool is now ready. As FlightMemory doesn't actually do exporting (except as near-useless PDFs for "Premium" members), you need to use a slightly more hacky approach: log into FM, choose the "FlightData" tab, and save it as HTML, page by page (50 flights per page). Then upload those pages into the OpenFlights import tool, and Bob's your uncle! @:-)

And in other news, instead of drawing two identical lines for (say) JFK-LHR + LHR-JFK, the rendering engine now only draws one, speeding up things by nearly 100% (if, like most people, your flights are usually return flights). This also has the handy side effect of letting "Top 10 Routes" easily merge the two directions together. Don't worry though, the direction is still preserved in the flight list and detail views.

So, what I should I concentrate on next? More statistics, more filtering options, exporting (incl. KMZ files for 3D plotting on Google Earth), speed and usability...?

Last edited by jpatokal; Sep 20, 2008 at 1:49 am
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:35 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

what about premium FM members, can we import that?
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:43 am

Programs: Credit Cards
Originally Posted by jpatokal
(incl. KMZ files for 3D plotting on Google Earth)
Ooooooo... there's an idea

--Russ
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So, what I should I concentrate on next? More statistics, more filtering options, exporting (incl. KMZ files for 3D plotting on Google Earth), speed and usability...?
Filter by date.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 2:40 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Cool site! Thanks!

The import from FM worked very well. Had to add a few local airports thought

A cool feature that I wish FM had was an ability to filter by aircraft. I keep track of reg numbers and it would be neat to keep track of how many times I fly on a specific aircraft.

(I just signed up, so this may be something I just haven't figured out yet...)

Edited to add:
Another useful feature would be a "Next Flight" button when we are editing flights. Currently, you have to save, then click on "list flights" then scroll down the list to where you were to get to the next flight. A next flight would significantly shorten the editing process.

One last suggestion:
I like the trip feature! One suggestion, the ability to add a flight to a trip from the "list flights" section would also be useful.

Last edited by TTT; Sep 20, 2008 at 2:54 pm
Old Sep 20, 2008, 4:20 pm

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat
Thanks! I love this programme. Still loading my flights in

Edited to say can't get back in and I'm to dim to figure out how to change my password or to get it emailed to me

Last edited by splatnz; Sep 20, 2008 at 8:53 pm Reason: Update
Old Sep 21, 2008, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Another 1000+ flights loaded in yesterday! Glad to see the import seems to be working. A few minor nits were discovered though, so I've tightened up the filters a bit: all date formats are now validated in the "Parsing" phase, it can automatically convert distances in km to miles, and registrations are imported without a trailing "</td>".

AMRivlin: Sorry, automatically parsing "Premium" PDFs does not seem to be feasible. You'll have to do it page by page like the hoi polloi... or pester FM to implement a "real" export.

sbm12: I can't say no to the site's #1 user by flight count, so your wish is granted: you can now filter flights by year. :-:

TTT: Can you clarify how you'd like to see/use the filter by aircraft? (As in registration, I presume, not just plane type?) Writing up a short feature request would be ideal, so I can get input from other registrationheads too.

And you're right, the "edit flight" tool is not very user-friendly now; not only does it kick you back after each change, but it also reloads and redraws the entire map every time. I'll be working on this next, and the "next/previous" buttons are a great idea! ^

splatnz: It's not just you, resetting forgotten passwords by mail is not implemented yet (oops). You've got PM.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 5:58 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
TTT: Can you clarify how you'd like to see/use the filter by aircraft? (As in registration, I presume, not just plane type?) Writing up a short feature request would be ideal, so I can get input from other registrationheads too.
Done.

Also, thanks for the filter by year feature^
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1P, LH FTL, BA
Is there any way for users to change(i.e. correct) the location of an airport? Somebody placed MHT (Manchester, NH) in the middle of Kasachstan...suspecting there is a "-" in the coordinates missing...
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by haubd
Is there any way for users to change(i.e. correct) the location of an airport? Somebody placed MHT (Manchester, NH) in the middle of Kasachstan...suspecting there is a "-" in the coordinates missing...
No, there isn't at the moment, but just let me know and I'll fix it. (MHT should be fixed now.)

Allowing users to add their own airports is a bit of a two-edged sword, but given the gaps in the existing DB and that 99% of user-added entries are correct, I figure the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:43 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

So can I import my flights from My Premium PDF from FM?
Old Sep 22, 2008, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1P, LH FTL, BA
No, there isn't at the moment, but just let me know and I'll fix it. (MHT should be fixed now.)

Allowing users to add their own airports is a bit of a two-edged sword, but given the gaps in the existing DB and that 99% of user-added entries are correct, I figure the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.
Thanks.
Yeah, I was glad I could add a couple airports (BHB & RKD) yesterday - I guess not too many people fly to these airports in the middle of nowhere

David

Last edited by haubd; Sep 22, 2008 at 7:13 am Reason: spelling
Old Sep 25, 2008, 4:53 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Just added my 900+ flights from FM... looks a bit messy on the map... It would be nice though if the great circle paths can be plotted rather than just straight lines...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.