Go Back   > >

Old Jun 26, 09, 3:41 am   #1
Original Poster

Exclamation Route maps now online: OpenFlights meets Airline Route Mapper

Two of FlyerTalk's favorite tools are now available in one handy package: OpenFlights the flight logger (thread) now incorporates the awesome 53,000+ route database from Airline Route Mapper (thread), so you can just point and click on more or less any airport in the world to see where you can fly from there. Here's a screenshot:

To try it out, just browse to http://openflights.org, enter the name/city/IATA code of your favorite airport in the new Search bar at the bottom, and click on Search. You can also read more about it in the blog.

Let me know what you think, and even more importantly, what you'd like to see next! Airline route maps are probably the next on the to-do list... and a big thanks to cockpitvisit, without whose data this would never have been possible.
jpatokal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 09, 9:19 am   #2

Programs: EY Silver
The airline routes don't quite work for routes that have an intermediate stop. For instance, BA flies from LHR to EZE with a stop at GRU, but if I enter LHR as a starting point, the mapper shows the flight terminating in GRU.
csdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 09, 11:33 am   #3

Location: Austin, TX -- AA PLT 2.8MM+ (life PLT); IHG PLT Ambassador; UA Gold
Very cool for us Linux users.
hauteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 09, 1:11 am   #4
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdf View Post
The airline routes don't quite work for routes that have an intermediate stop. For instance, BA flies from LHR to EZE with a stop at GRU, but if I enter LHR as a starting point, the mapper shows the flight terminating in GRU.
Yes, this is a limitation of the ARM database, it only contains point-to-point data. A few more from the blog:
  • The route map covers routes, not schedules. We donít know exact flight days, times or route numbers; however, click through to Kayak, and it can usually tell you.
  • The route map covers non-stop flights only. Singapore Airlines flies SIN-ICN-SFO, but if you click on SIN, youíll only see the first leg.
  • The route map does not support route finding. If thereís no direct connection, we canít find it for youÖ yet.
  • Route maps are offered per airport, not per airline (although this is on the to-do list).
  • Filters, Analyze, Top 10 etc donít work on route maps (yet?). If you try to use them, it will just show you the data for your flights.

However, I'm currently working on extracting route data from users' actual flights, which should fill in some gaps.
Old Jun 27, 09, 11:23 am   #5
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just tried it with SFO, for me, it seems a bit problematic -- page doesn't load entirely, etc.
RichardInSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 09, 12:56 pm   #6
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Am I missing something? When I put in PVD... I get 25 lines... but no map in the background... have to actually click on each plane to see what airport it is... while I can guess on most... it would be much nicer to have maps in the background for reference.
wharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 09, 1:02 pm   #7
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
Am I missing something? When I put in PVD... I get 25 lines... but no map in the background... have to actually click on each plane to see what airport it is... while I can guess on most... it would be much nicer to have maps in the background for reference.
Sounds like the image tiles aren't loading correctly. That happens sometimes on weekends, IME. I think I have changed the type of map displayed and that has fixed it sometimes. Click the + sign on the top-right and then choose the other radio button option there. That might work better.
sbm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 09, 1:43 am   #8
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Sounds like the image tiles aren't loading correctly. That happens sometimes on weekends, IME.
To be more precise, to keep our bandwidth bills somewhat sane, we're using the free MetaCarta third-party server for the map files. They're pretty reliable (this was the first outage in months), but you do get what you pay for...

Quote:
Click the + sign on the top-right and then choose the other radio button option there. That might work better.
Perversely enough, the second map option (NASA Global Mosaic) was also down this weekend. First time that's ever happened though, and they're both up again.
Old Jun 29, 09, 2:53 am   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Wow! Those website are so incredible. I am never seen it before. It was so much easier for me where I can find for which specific routes. Here some of specific routes:

FLL is 132 nonstop destinations cities
MIA is 200 nonstop destinations cities
LHR is almsot 400 nonstop out of Heathrow. It is lot of routes where come from. It was too many airlines are flying into Heathrow. I didn't realize know that.

You can select for which routes will look it up to tell you which airlines are already flies out of FLL, MIA, LHR, GRU and anywhere whole of the world.

Thank you so much for giving me best your new website. I am really likes it lot. Now, I can tell you for which airlines are already direct or codeshare.
N830MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 09, 6:29 am   #10

Programs: Global Entry, PLI Privileged, Rakuten Platinum, want to fly JL but keep ending up on NH
Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
FLL is 132 nonstop destinations cities
MIA is 200 nonstop destinations cities
LHR is almsot 400 nonstop out of Heathrow. It is lot of routes where come from. It was too many airlines are flying into Heathrow. I didn't realize know that.
Keep in mind that those numbers include codeshare routes, so many operated routes get counted twice, or five times, depending on how many airlines are interested in adding their code to the flight in question.

Still an awesome feature, and my hat is definitely off to jpatokal for implementing it. Bravo!
joejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 09, 4:04 am   #11
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejones View Post
Keep in mind that those numbers include codeshare routes, so many operated routes get counted twice, or five times, depending on how many airlines are interested in adding their code to the flight in question.
Yup, this is a known bug, I'll see if I can fix it in the next release without murdering performance. Also, I'm still not entirely sure if a "route" should be defined as an airline operating between airports (as now), or simply as a pair of airports.

Quote:
Still an awesome feature, and my hat is definitely off to jpatokal for implementing it. Bravo!
Thank ye muchly! And for my next trick, I'll be pulling airline route maps out of a hat and enabling airline filtering of airport maps -- tune in next week for more.
Old Jul 15, 09, 12:38 am   #12

Programs: UA, AE
Very cool!
rawilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 09, 4:25 am   #13
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatokal View Post
Thank ye muchly! And for my next trick, I'll be pulling airline route maps out of a hat and enabling airline filtering of airport maps -- tune in next week for more.
Ta-dah!

Also implemented is filtering by airline, so you can see flights on airline X from airport Y, and codeshare flights are now shown as dotted lines. Details on the blog.
Old Jul 18, 09, 3:05 am   #14
Original Poster

A few usability tweaks to the site:
  • Airline route maps now default to show "actual" (non-codeshare) flights only, which is less cluttered, faster to load and faster to zoom around. You can still switch on codeshares by selecting "XX and codeshare" from the Filter.
  • Switching airlines in the filter no longer causes the map to resize to fit, which makes it much faster to cycle through them.
  • Non-IATA and inactive airlines no longer show up in the Quick Search results.
A bit more detail on the blog -- including why we're still double-counting codeshared routes.
Old Jul 18, 09, 3:17 am   #15

That is really cool. Thanks a lot

Added to Bookmarks.

PS - Is there a way to hide the HUGE white box that says "<Your Selected Airport> <X> Routes" and takes up 1/4th of the screen?

Last edited by UnoriginalGuy; Jul 18, 09 at 3:21 am Reason: question
UnoriginalGuy is offline   Reply With Quote