Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OpenFlights.org mapping tool now open

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by joejones
Do I understand correctly that this app does not interface with OpenFlights at all?
The description says it interfaces with OpenFlights.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by unavaca
The description says it interfaces with OpenFlights.
Sorry, where does it say that? It says "Keep a log of flights, similar to openflights.org." Which sounds to me like it is yet another logging app and not an interface to OpenFlights itself.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
Sorry, where does it say that? It says "Keep a log of flights, similar to openflights.org." Which sounds to me like it is yet another logging app and not an interface to OpenFlights itself.
#3 says "Synchronize with your openflights.org account."
Old Jun 5, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
A few answers to some of the questions that have arisen:

Question: How does the app interact with OpenFlight?

Answer: It allows you to download your flights from openflight and upload changes or new flights you enter on the app. So you should be able to make entries either on the openflight web site or on the app and keep the two in sync.
This is one of the part that I hope beta testers can help me make sure it works most satisfactorily for everybody.

Question: Will the app be open source?

Answer: The app makes use of proprietary code that cannot be open sourced at this point. However, I intend to keep the app free to use by anyone. There probably will be some advertisement in the final app to support the time of the developers in fixing issues and improving the app.

Also we intend to extend the features of the app to make it fun for all frequent flyer to keep a log of their flight history and share their experiences with friends on Flyertalk and other web sites.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:09 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

The most recent posts have convinced me that this Thread is best viewed in the Travel Technology Forum.
Please continue to follow this discussion in Travel Technology.
Thanks....
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
We are in Travel Technology now
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: OK Plus, Miles & More, Aeroflot Bonus
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Hello to all,

Two friends and I have been (slowly) developing an Android application for keeping a log of flights. It is now reaching a beta stage and we are looking for beta testers.
If you are interested in beta testers travelling between EU and Russia please sign me up.
The app would be a great timesaver for me, as for now I have to log into Flightdiary first to get full details on the flight and the plane (registration no.) and then to input it into Openflights.
With the app I'll just look at the plane's tail and get the reg-no. Not talking about Flightdiary's ignorance of some Russian airports and domestic airlines.

Android: Orange San Francisco, CyanogenMod 7

Last edited by Tepich; Jun 7, 2012 at 1:17 pm
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:13 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
I'd love to help. Just ordered a Nexus S that I should have early next week.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: EBG
Is the openflights.org site down? I get this message:
Error;Unable to connect to database: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (111)
Old Jun 24, 2012, 9:54 am

Yup, broken for me, too. They just did an upgrade yesterday, so I'm guessing they're still working out some kinks.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:01 am

I'm also interested in beta-testing
Old Jun 25, 2012, 3:18 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
still broken..
Old Jun 25, 2012, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the recent downtime, we've been having memory problems with the new server. I've added a chunk of swap so the site should no longer crash when it runs over, and will keep tweaking the config.

Do let me know if there are any other problems, but mail to info at openflights dot org will generally result in a faster resolution than posting to FT though...
Old Jul 20, 2012, 1:03 am

I am happy to announce that the Flight Log app has entered beta testing phase and I can email it to those who request it. If you'd like, send me a PM and I will email it to you.

Michel
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Some news from OpenFlights! I've recently switched the site over to a set of new map providers, including the beauty below:

And there have been some changes to the backend as well. Full scoop in the blog:

http://openflights.org/blog/2015/06/21/openflights-rolls-out-new-maps-moves-to-github/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.