Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:43 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by HKT CPH
I want NC, i travel a lot, NC its so nice on plane and in train, well i use NC most of the time, mine last close to 6 hours with NC on, lets see in about 2 years from now, my airpods last 2-3 hours after 2 years, not good at all
I just bought a set of these. Fantastic sound - much better than the Samsung Icon-X 2018 I was using. I previously bought a set of the Beoplay E8 2.0 - but despite sounding great, they went back the same day as the sound just broke up as soon as I started moving around.

The case is a little on the big size, but it works for me.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
How is the NC on the new Sony's during flight? I have the QC35 and QC30's. The over the ear 35's are generally better, but the QC30's are not that bad. I would love to get an even smaller kit and ditch the neck band if the Sony NC is on par for air travel.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
Have the new Bose 700's - Love them! Finally USB C charging, and actually usable for phone calls in airports.
These really are amazing. I had some QC20s that I woulnd't fly with out, but my dog chewed them up. My wife got me the 700s for an anniversary. They are the real deal. I've been looking at everything from custom foamies to Hunting orienteted Walkers Blue tooth ear phones- but these 700s rock. I'm not a fan of over the ear, I'm a head sweater. I also have huge ears and I get bit of a callous on the back of my right ear from the 700s.

The ability to connect to two devices is nice. Be working on the computer or ipad and then be able to take a call is convenient. Siri works, but I don't do the other assistants.

The call taking is really nice. I think the multiple speakers isolate the speech really well. There is a youtube video of a comparo with the Sony and it isn't close. Plus it gives you a little feedback so you can hear yourself- definitely a plus for phone and webmeetings.

Not cheap, but worth it.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
No, they aren't (IMO) For example turboprop planes produce most noise in the 50-300 Hz range - if you look at the chart, the Sony runs circles around Bose in that range. The Bose peaks at 15dB, but mostly stays around 10dB, whereas the Sony goes over 25dB and doesn't go below 15dB once it goes over the 100Hz threshold.

At higher frequencies the difference is even larger all the way to 10kHz
I don't know about you but the last time I flew on a prop plane was... sooo long ago I can't even remember when (I avoid flying prop planes).
So the question remains... is the QC35 II superior to the WH-1000XM3 in regards to noise cancellation on jet planes?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:18 pm

How is the call/mic quality on the Sony WF-1000xm3? The wearer's call & audio conference voice quality is muffled in the WH-1000xm3 over-ears compared to Bose QC's.

I might also save myself some money for now and get a good bluetooth receiver like Radsone ES100 or Fiio BTR3 to use with my existing wired headphones. My ear canals are small and hard to fit.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Having used both:

Music, NC: Winner is Sony
Mic, Voice call: Winner is Bose

As I never use these for calling (on airplanes most of the time), I bought the Sony. And I love them.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: SAS -TG
Originally Posted by freecia
How is the call/mic quality on the Sony WF-1000xm3? The wearer's call & audio conference voice quality is muffled in the WH-1000xm3 over-ears compared to Bose QC's.

I might also save myself some money for now and get a good bluetooth receiver like Radsone ES100 or Fiio BTR3 to use with my existing wired headphones. My ear canals are small and hard to fit.
I think the call quality is fine, i don't use it much, i got WH 1000 xm3 + Bose 35 as well, but i dont like walk around in airport and be on train with them, that’s why i bought WF 1000 xm3, they are perfect, a lot better than airpods, also look you will get a lot different ear buds. i use the one was already on them, fits perfect. Go on youtube and see the review, not bad at all
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:00 pm

And the app is very good, its have everything what you want

Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Big Mac
I don't know about you but the last time I flew on a prop plane was... sooo long ago I can't even remember when (I avoid flying prop planes).
So the question remains... is the QC35 II superior to the WH-1000XM3 in regards to noise cancellation on jet planes?
I could only compare the QC15 vs 1000XM1 and there the Sony wins slightly on NC and "bigly" on SQ. Obviously both cans are now 2--3 generations ahead of these so my experience is already obsolete.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Big Mac
I got a little out of control and bought all versions of these things. So, at the moment, I have Bose QC35 I (2 pairs), Bose QC35 II, Sony WH-1000XM3, Sony WH-1000XM2, Microsoft Surface Headphones. Also, sitting in a drawer is a pair of Bose QuietComfort 3. I AM NOT an audiophile, just a computer HW guy that hordes gadgets. And don't talk to me about gold-plated cables from Monster that aren't any better than lamp cord.

- Best noise cancellation and overall headphone for listening is the Sony WH-1000XM3. Microphone still sucks. I use the QC35 II when I need to use the microphone, typically during Skype and WebEX conference calls.
- Never got the Sony WH-1000XM2 to work over Bluetooth. My unit goes completely haywire after a few minutes. And I mean *completely* haywire. These work fine in wired mode and are quite nice. ANC is very good. The microphone is poor.
- When I need to listen to a video sitting at my work computer, I've tended toward the Microsoft Surface headphones, but I can't explain why. I'll grab the pair of QC35 II's if I need to talk. The Surface headphones have a better microphone than the Sony's.
- I have two pairs of QC35 series I that I use as beaters when I'm working out. They do that quite well.
- Really, really hate the Sony app for the headphones - hard to imagine how it could be done worse. And my Sony WH-1000XM3/2's strangely ping at odd intervals. And they change modes, sometimes going out of ANC ... And the capacitive touch controls on the right earcup are just a joke. In my XM2s I opened up the cup and disabled the controls. I only use the right cup control on the XM3's for volume control, and even that is iffy.
- The Surface controls on the right cup might be worse. To change volume, you need to make a weird twisting motion. Never have figured it out ...
- I probably lean towards the QC35 Series II as the best of the lot, but I don't own a pair of the new 700's from Bose yet. As far as ANC goes, all of these units knock out most of the background sound.
KRSW and Kris_Chari like this.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Aug 22, 2019 at 10:55 am
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I got a little out of control and bought all versions of these things. So, at the moment, I have Bose QC35 I (2 pairs), Bose QC35 II, Sony WH-1000XM3, Sony WH-1000XM2, Microsoft Surface Headphones. Also, sitting in a drawer is a pair of Bose QuietComfort 3. I AM NOT an audiophile, just a computer HW guy that hordes gadgets. And don't talk to me about gold-plated cables from Monster that aren't any better than lamp cord.

- Best noise cancellation and overall headphone for listening is the Sony WH-1000XM3. Microphone still sucks. I use the QC35 II when I need to use the microphone, typically during Skype and WebEX conference calls.
- Never got the Sony WH-1000XM2 to work over Bluetooth. My unit goes completely haywire after a few minutes. And I mean *completely* haywire. These work fine in wired mode and are quite nice. ANC is very good. The microphone is poor.
- When I need to listen to a video sitting at my work computer, I've tended toward the Microsoft Surface headphones, but I can't explain why. I'll grab the pair of QC35 II's if I need to talk. The Surface headphones have a better microphone than the Sony's.
- I have two pairs of QC35 series I that I use as beaters when I'm working out. They do that quite well.
- Really, really hate the Sony app for the headphones - hard to imagine how it could be done worse. And my Sony WH-1000XM3/2's strangely ping at odd intervals. And they change modes, sometimes going out of ANC ... And the capacitive touch controls on the right earcup are just a joke. In my XM2s I opened up the cup and disabled the controls. I only use the right cup control on the XM3's for volume control, and even that is iffy.
- The Surface controls on the right cup might be worse. To change volume, you need to make a weird twisting motion. Never have figured it out ...
- I probably lean towards the QC35 Series II as the best of the lot, but I don't own a pair of the new 700's from Bose yet. As far as ANC goes, all of these units knock out most of the background sound.
HI
I got Bose 35 and Sony WH 1000 XM3 (also i have WF1000XM3) i never had a problem with WH 1000 XM3, never drop NC never drop bluetooth, my touch controls works perfect, maybe yours Sony WH 1000 xm3 are defect ??
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Today I had a short flight and watched a movie on my tablet but I could barely hear the music in the background and had to constantly change the volume since the dialogue was ok but the music and effects were stupid loud. Any suggestions for something I can use to isolate the plane noise and won't break my back too much financially?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Nayef
Today I had a short flight and watched a movie on my tablet but I could barely hear the music in the background and had to constantly change the volume since the dialogue was ok but the music and effects were stupid loud. Any suggestions for something I can use to isolate the plane noise and won't break my back too much financially?
You might want to check out an equalizer app to adjust the audio. As far as ANC goes, I haven't tried a lot of models as traditionally, this was a generally an area where you get what you pay for (and trying nice expensive audio gear leads to wanting said gear) but the headphone market has been evolving a good bit over the last few years. IMO, ANC is an area where you still get what you pay for but the non-flagship price performance has improved.

Are you looking for over ear or in ear?

Xiaomi's ANC earphones with 3.5mm plug (not usb-c) gets some decent reviews and ~ $45. Noise cancellation doesn't seem to be as effective as the QC20 but also a lot less money.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/comm...phones_review/
https://www.thephonograph.net/xiaomi...phones-review/
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/xia...dphones.23073/

The Taotronics TT-BH060 ANC over-ear Bluetooth 5.0 $70 also get decent reviews
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/..._cancellation/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV5T6XWT1dw
Nayef likes this.

Last edited by freecia; Aug 23, 2019 at 11:37 pm Reason: ETA: over-ear
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
Found a review with an audio sample WF-1000XM3 https://youtu.be/6rTsXMqz1Ik?t=533
Similar Bose 700 vs Sony WH-1000XM3 audio test https://youtu.be/G7l8MU8Em5I?t=661
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Originally Posted by Nayef
Cowin E7
Nayef likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.