Free Windows 10 upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Windows 10 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Vista isn't eligible for the free UG and it'll only UG from 7 and 8/8.1. SO no, unless you can get your hands on a full license (not an UG one).
Or an extra 7 license (if the hardware was of a transitional era where the BIOS keys are good for 7, this is particularly easy.)

Might have trouble with getting drivers for hardware of the Vista era too.
For the most part, Windows 10 will have drivers available for anything relatively mainstream that's fast enough you'd want to run it. Better hardware from late 2006 or early 2007 is definitely "of the Vista era" and is probably the oldest stuff you'd want to run 10 on. Single core processors, or the weird early transitional pre-Core-2 dual-core stuff, are all probably time to go to the scrap heap or at least get something genuinely lighter than ANY version of Windows loaded*.

(* and then only if your electric bill is "free.")
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Alright, I got impatient, so I decided to upgrade my Yoga 13 to be the guinea pig.

1. Upgrade laptop to 8.1 Pro (so I could get 10 Pro)
2. Download install file
3. Install
4. Login and go directly to desktop

It took under 2 hours.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Exclamation Privacy and bandwidth issues

I've been reading lots about Win 1o the past few days from many sources. While below isn't the one that got me interested, it does sum everything up.

Lots of potential privacy invasion (more than Win 8/8.1). Also Win 10 is set up be default to use your Win 10 computer as an upgrade and update distribution server (something called WUDO) unless you turn it off.

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...plug_them.html
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hallelujah!

My biggest gripe with W8 was that you could not fast switch users on a locked screen. I spent many hours Googling for an answer; and all solutions didn't work for me.

It's finally back on W10. ^
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I've been reading lots about Win 1o the past few days from many sources. While below isn't the one that got me interested, it does sum everything up.

Lots of potential privacy invasion (more than Win 8/8.1). Also Win 10 is set up be default to use your Win 10 computer as an upgrade and update distribution server (something called WUDO) unless you turn it off.

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...plug_them.html
Well it does ask you right away after the upgrade what info you want to share. I just turned most of mine to....dont share.

The Windows update thing...from my understanding, its to allow a machine on your home network which has downloaded the update to send that to other machines in your home network...

To each their own...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
My two biggest W10 peeves so far:

--MS continues to dumb down personalization options. You get a "choice" of only 30 or so background colors - give us the full spectrum, for chrissakes. No options on width of window borders, either.

--When you're using a pen tablet and touch the keyboard icon, you now get...a handwriting panel. As the default. With no way to change the default. Thanks MS for adding two extra clicks every single time I respond on FT or click in a search box! Jerks.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
The Windows update thing...from my understanding, its to allow a machine on your home network which has downloaded the update to send that to other machines in your home network...
No, it clearly says that unless you opt-out, MS will use distributed computing to use your PC to serve updates to other people outside of your network over the Internet.

Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
MS continues to dumb down personalization options. You get a "choice" of only 30 or so background colors - give us the full spectrum, for chrissakes. No options on width of window borders, either.
It's really odd considering the degree of visual customization that was possible with 98 and even XP.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Alright, I got impatient, so I decided to upgrade my Yoga 13 to be the guinea pig.

1. Upgrade laptop to 8.1 Pro (so I could get 10 Pro)
2. Download install file
3. Install
4. Login and go directly to desktop

It took under 2 hours.
Totally different experience with Mrs. Swede's Yoga 13.

After the upgrade, it was extremely slow and unresponsive. The Synaptics touchpad drivers disappeared, and it took three tries to reinstall. After that, it took about three hard reboots (the desktop froze) before things appeared to calm back down to normal.

On my computer, adding my Gmail and two Google Apps e-mail/calendar accounts were a breeze (and a much better implementation compared to W8). On her computer, it tries to load her Google Apps e-mail, but it always times out.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:30 am
Suspended

Fools.

Windows 10 is possibly the worst spyware ever made
http://www.networkworld.com/article/...agreement.html

The Surveillance State Goes Mainstream: Windows 10 Is Watching (& Logging) Everything
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-0...ing-everything

Using Windows 10? Microsoft Is Watching
http://www.newsweek.com/windows-10-r...ry-move-358952
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle
Thanks ^ for the tip on the reinstall of VMWare tools on Fusion. Before reading your post I too had tried the VMWare tools reinstall multiple times (both Repair and Modify options) and those re-installs did not restore the full set of display resolutions. After reading your post I decided to do a complete uninstall of VMWare Tools first and then did a fresh install which then restored the full set of display resolutions.

I too had a Windows 10 upgrade install failure on the first attempt of an install from the iso with no error codes displayed but the second attempt of installing Windows 10 from the iso immediately after the first attempt and with no changes succeeded.
I ended up giving up and rolling back to the 7.1 snapshot today. I kept getting an error and I was unable to repair it, including trying to roll back to a restore point. C000021A. I don't think I'm going to waste any more time on this for now. 7.1 is fine.

-David
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Interesting.

http://www.computerworld.com/article...-concerns.html
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Has anyone else run into the more than 512 program shortcuts issue yet in Win 10? http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07...s_512_entries/ I believe MS are working on a fix but I was just wondering if it's more widespread than I'd heard? A friend told me he'd upgraded and then 'lost' things and asked if I knew of a fix. I suggested he try Classic Shell until MS produce a fix.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I'm deeply cocooned within the loving embrace of Google's ecosystem, so that ship sailed long ago.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it was in this thread that someone refers to a website/blog that details how to fully optimize the OS, and he/she was waiting for them to post W10 optimizations before upgrading. Can anyone provide the URL?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.