Free Windows 10 upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Windows 10 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by maortega15
Happen to know when I'll get that broadcast email? And once I get the email, will it come in an .exe file?

As for the media creation tool, I don't have an empty flash drive so is there a way around that?
You don't need a flash drive. Just head to that link and download the media tool. Run it, and rather than create media, tell it to upgrade the current computer. It can do everything without you needing to put anything on a flash drive.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:44 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Back to that email, happen to know when I'll get that broadcast email? And once I get the email, will it come in an .exe file?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I was able to get a clean install today without needing either of the product keys. W10 has made a noticeable improvement for this system, it removed all of the crap that Samsung installs on it, an fixed the jittery trackpad issue that it had as well, so very nice overall. I'm not loving the trend for flat icons lately. It is really getting kinda boring.

Big question though, is there an ad block service for Edge? It seems to work fairly well, I just don't want to deal with all the ads.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by WIRunner
I was able to get a clean install today without needing either of the product keys. W10 has made a noticeable improvement for this system, it removed all of the crap that Samsung installs on it, an fixed the jittery trackpad issue that it had as well, so very nice overall. I'm not loving the trend for flat icons lately. It is really getting kinda boring.

Big question though, is there an ad block service for Edge? It seems to work fairly well, I just don't want to deal with all the ads.
Not yet (although you could run an adblocking proxy in the background.)

They're promising extension support real-soon-now and I'm willing to bet that some decent AdBlocker will be available almost immediately after.

--

As an aside on the Chrome issue, while it's been flawless on my main machine, some time in the past few days it broke on my secondary machine/tablet (it was definitely working over last weekend.)

The steps to fix it were to really clean chrome:
1) Uninstall removing browsing data
2) reboot
3) check that C:\Users\[youruser]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome has been wiped
4) clear out C:\Users\[youruser]\AppData\Local\Temp for good measure
5) check that C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome has been wiped out
6) reboot again
7) reinstall Chrome (I use dev channel) -- there may be a recent chrome installer under C:\Users\[youruser]\AppData\Local\Google\Update\Download otherwise redownload
8) Start it up, re-login to google account, wait for for the account to sync
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Thanks for the reply.

Back to that email, happen to know when I'll get that broadcast email? And once I get the email, will it come in an .exe file?
I already got my email.

The email does not include an .exe file. It includes a link to a page where you download an .exe file.

You do not need to wait for the email. This is the link that comes in the email:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Click that link and download the .exe file of the media creation tool.

I personally do not like the idea of in-place upgrades. I've always gotten better results from doing clean installs from bootable media like DVDs or flash drives.

An empty 8gb flash drive can cost you as little as $5 online or at local retail stores.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BigLar
I've been doing some Windows rollout/deployment gigs lately. Got one coming up next week at a pretty big bank.
Does the acronym SCCM mean anything to you?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I already got my email.

The email does not include an .exe file. It includes a link to a page where you download an .exe file.

You do not need to wait for the email. This is the link that comes in the email:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Click that link and download the .exe file of the media creation tool.

I personally do not like the idea of in-place upgrades. I've always gotten better results from doing clean installs from bootable media like DVDs or flash drives.

An empty 8gb flash drive can cost you as little as $5 online or at local retail stores.
Thanks for the reply. Any instructions on the installation from a flash drive?

Also, would a empty portable hard drive work or it has to be a blank CD or flash drive?

Lastly, curious to know if anyone know if Windows 10 media that ships to you will be either in a disk or flash drive form. I read somewhere that if you opt to get it shipped to you, it might come in a flash drive.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Thanks for the reply. Any instructions on the installation from a flash drive?

Also, would a empty portable hard drive work or it has to be a blank CD or flash drive?

Lastly, curious to know if anyone know if Windows 10 media that ships to you will be either in a disk or flash drive form. I read somewhere that if you opt to get it shipped to you, it might come in a flash drive.
Download the Windows 10 .iso file
Download the tool to mount it to a USB stick (flash drive)
Use the tool to dump the .iso to the USB stick. It'll ask you for "where" the .iso file is, and which drive to use (point it to the USB stick)
Take USB stick and insert to a machine, say while in full Windows or a machine say with nothing on it (as an example)
And follow the prompts.

Enjoy

*Note: I have not used the tool referenced here. I just find a tool that lets me mount a .iso to a USB stick...
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Not a fan of the new " E " browser MS offers on 10 I tried to work with my favorite Chrome, but it is unusable so I switched to Firefox.

It is lightening fast and I think I can get use to it.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
On my desktop, I checked Windows Update>View update history and Upgrade to Windows 10 Home - Failed. Anyone getting the same?
I noted 5 separate unsuccessful attempts of a W10 update on my W7 laptop on July 29 and 30. Each showed a code for the reason. Clicking those produced a list of codes, none of which coincided with the code they gave me.

I found the ISO route and used that. Seamless but rather long download, and I'm now using W10.

I was unhappy about the potential loss of Chrome for the reasons mentioned by nkedel. I'll uninstall and reinstall.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by david4455
Not a fan of the new " E " browser MS offers on 10 I tried to work with my favorite Chrome, but it is unusable so I switched to Firefox.

It is lightening fast and I think I can get use to it.
Wait what's lightening fast? I don't mind the Edge browser, much better than Internet Exploder

I'm on FireFox myself..
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA
I have a laptop with 8.1 that I hardly ever use --- because of 8.1, which I concede is slightly less annoying than 8 --- so I was looking forward to upgrading it to 10. However, the reports that Chrome doesn't work with 10 are enough to put me off upgrading to 10 until I hear something different.

It occurs to me, should we be surprised Windows put out an OS with an all-new browser of their own and that OS doesn't work with Chrome? Maybe I'm just a conspiracy theorist, but I've disliked the Windows 8.1 laptop enough so far that if it won't even run Chrome after upgrading to 10, there'd be nothing left to keep me from throwing it out the window.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
I've been doing some Windows rollout/deployment gigs lately. Got one coming up next week at a pretty big bank.

They're doing a company-wide OS upgrade --- from XP to Win 7!

Seriously!

Like a lot of outfits, they decided not to go to Vista, but doing Win 7 now? Or maybe they want to grab the free Win 10? I dunno.
XP is end of life. Companies don't get the free Win 10, corporate arrangements are different (and may include all Windows versions under a support agreement).

Windows 10 is not yet tested in offices well, every day XP is ran is a major liability at this point. Win 8.x on the desktop has usability concerns. Deploying 7 now, while it seems silly... may make sense for a (limited) set of users. It should have been last year though, at the latest. My employer is doing the same...
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AllieKat
XP is end of life. Companies don't get the free Win 10, corporate arrangements are different (and may include all Windows versions under a support agreement).

Windows 10 is not yet tested in offices well, every day XP is ran is a major liability at this point. Win 8.x on the desktop has usability concerns. Deploying 7 now, while it seems silly... may make sense for a (limited) set of users. It should have been last year though, at the latest. My employer is doing the same...
Correct. These are referred to as an Enterprise Agreement (EA)

While XP is end of life, some companies pay MSFT for support even though it's EOL. So in that scenario, it would still be supported.

And cite - Windows 10 is not yet tested in offices well? If only you knew the amount of testing that goes on....
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nkedel

As an aside on the Chrome issue, while it's been flawless on my main machine, some time in the past few days it broke on my secondary machine/tablet (it was definitely working over last weekend.)

The steps to fix it were to really clean chrome:
1) Uninstall removing browsing data
2) reboot
3) check that C:\Users\[youruser]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome has been wiped
4) clear out C:\Users\[youruser]\AppData\Local\Temp for good measure
5) check that C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome has been wiped out
6) reboot again
7) reinstall Chrome (I use dev channel) -- there may be a recent chrome installer under C:\Users\[youruser]\AppData\Local\Google\Update\Download otherwise redownload
8) Start it up, re-login to google account, wait for for the account to sync
There is an easier solution for chrome fans struggling with it after a Windows 10 install....download Chrome Canary. Their Beta product is for the most part pretty stable and works well with 10. For me...even though I have it on my machine, I am impressed with Firefox and will play with that browser for awhile

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.