Free Windows 10 upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Windows 10 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I upgraded to Win 10 on Saturday. It was pretty painless and took about an hour. I even like Microsoft Edge.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Still haven't given up on recovering my computer. It would appear that the BIOS (or whatever else is in the CMOS) is looking for something specific on the ODD because that is where is actually stops to look for something (found and used an external DVD and it does the same as what it does on the built-in ODD).

Funny thing is that Win 8 and Win 8.1 only seem to ask the casual user to make a bootable recovery media using a flash drive. I found that you can make the recovery media on anything with sdclt.exe (must be run as admin).

So far, I've tried recovery DVDs from Win7 x64 and Win 8.1 x64 from two Intel systems (didn't work). I wonder if it is looking for a specifically-signed (product key?) DVD from/for the AMD CPU. The only recovery media I do have for the computer is the Win 8 on flash drive (which the computer will not read). Could someone point me the right way to transfer at least the initial loading files of the recovery media on the flash drive to a DVD (doubt I can put the contents of a 8+ GB flash drive onto a DVD)?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

So far, I've tried recovery DVDs from Win7 x64 and Win 8.1 x64 from two Intel systems (didn't work). I wonder if it is looking for a specifically-signed (product key?) DVD from/for the AMD CPU.
1) What happened when you used the recovery DVDs from 7 and 8.1?
2) No to the second part.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still haven't given up on recovering my computer. It would appear that the BIOS (or whatever else is in the CMOS) is looking for something specific on the ODD because that is where is actually stops to look for something (found and used an external DVD and it does the same as what it does on the built-in ODD).

Funny thing is that Win 8 and Win 8.1 only seem to ask the casual user to make a bootable recovery media using a flash drive. I found that you can make the recovery media on anything with sdclt.exe (must be run as admin).

So far, I've tried recovery DVDs from Win7 x64 and Win 8.1 x64 from two Intel systems (didn't work). I wonder if it is looking for a specifically-signed (product key?) DVD from/for the AMD CPU. The only recovery media I do have for the computer is the Win 8 on flash drive (which the computer will not read). Could someone point me the right way to transfer at least the initial loading files of the recovery media on the flash drive to a DVD (doubt I can put the contents of a 8+ GB flash drive onto a DVD)?
You could always try using a USB 1.44 drive, download a copy of MS DOS, boot from that, and then delete all partitions and do a hard format of your HDD.

Of course you will then need a bootable copy of whichever flavor of Windows you wish to use along with a corresponding legit product key.

If you can't boot to DOS from a floppy drive then you likely have a pretty serious hardware problem.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Is this even a supported configuration?
they claim it is. Look at the vmware kb article I linked to.

But the issues I had were mostly related to the display driver, which gets fixed if you reinstall the vmware tools after the upgrade (or maybe the install, for those doing a clean install). The upgrade deletes the vmware display driver because Microsoft doesn't think it's signed or something like that, but vmware claims it is. At some point they will get to the bottom of it and the upgrade will work smoother but for now, the workaround they document + vmware tools reinstall seems to work ok.

-David
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
they claim it is. Look at the vmware kb article I linked to.

But the issues I had were mostly related to the display driver, which gets fixed if you reinstall the vmware tools after the upgrade (or maybe the install, for those doing a clean install). The upgrade deletes the vmware display driver because Microsoft doesn't think it's signed or something like that, but vmware claims it is. At some point they will get to the bottom of it and the upgrade will work smoother but for now, the workaround they document + vmware tools reinstall seems to work ok.

-David
My point was...is VMware Fusion supported by Microsoft? Perhaps that's why you are running into an issue
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) What happened when you used the recovery DVDs from 7 and 8.1?.
Hear the ODD grind a lot but proceeds to continue with the boot loop albeit taking longer intervals.

I am making a Win 8.1 install DVD now and hope that works.

Also was making a computer-specific recovery DVD but I think I forget to format it as bootable ("create a MS-DOS start disk" option?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anrkitec
You could always try using a USB 1.44 drive, download a copy of MS DOS, boot from that, and then delete all partitions and do a hard format of your HDD.
What is a USB 1.44 drive (emulates a 3.5" HD floppy?) I already have a HD with (legit) WIn 8.1 installed. Just have to reset the BIOS CMOS.

Serious hardware problem to say the least. I could try leaving the CMOS battery out for days/weeks/months and see what happens. Good thing that I don't have too much invested into the computer.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Read a few pages and searched; is there a way to get this on a machine running Vista without intermediate upgrades?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Read a few pages and searched; is there a way to get this on a machine running Vista without intermediate upgrades?
Vista isn't eligible for the free UG and it'll only UG from 7 and 8/8.1. SO no, unless you can get your hands on a full license (not an UG one).

Might have trouble with getting drivers for hardware of the Vista era too.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Hear the ODD grind a lot but proceeds to continue with the boot loop albeit taking longer intervals.

I am making a Win 8.1 install DVD now and hope that works.

Also was making a computer-specific recovery DVD but I think I forget to format it as bootable ("create a MS-DOS start disk" option?
Oh boy. I think if that fails, you definitely need to bug Acer. I do best effort support on here, that was my best effort. Sorry that I wasn't able to get to root cause, but please keep us in the loop! I am most intrigued!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
As our friend from YVR mentioned, no, you cannot. Sorry!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh boy. I think if that fails, you definitely need to bug Acer. I do best effort support on here, that was my best effort. Sorry that I wasn't able to get to root cause, but please keep us in the loop! I am most intrigued!
It failed. I do appreciate the effort.

An Acer tech PM'd me the method to reflash BIOS that I have previously tried and will retry. I am not sure if I am going about it the right way, or if KB input is indeed blocked. I am hoping an external USB keyboard is not blocked unlike the built-in.

Otherwise, I am taking out the CMOS battery, hoping to drain by connecting the battery terminals (doing this by flipping the battery around), and let it sit for days/weeks/months and see what happens. Anyway to make non-volatile memory forget faster? Heat, cold, magnetism?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:26 am

My point was...is VMware Fusion supported by Microsoft? Perhaps that's why you are running into an issue

I posted to let other people that might run into the same issue how I was able to resolve it. I wasn't asking for your help or for Microsoft's support, but thanks for replying.

-David
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by LIH Prem

I posted to let other people that might run into the same issue how I was able to resolve it. I wasn't asking for your help or for Microsoft's support, but thanks for replying.

-David
Thanks ^ for the tip on the reinstall of VMWare tools on Fusion. Before reading your post I too had tried the VMWare tools reinstall multiple times (both Repair and Modify options) and those re-installs did not restore the full set of display resolutions. After reading your post I decided to do a complete uninstall of VMWare Tools first and then did a fresh install which then restored the full set of display resolutions.

I too had a Windows 10 upgrade install failure on the first attempt of an install from the iso with no error codes displayed but the second attempt of installing Windows 10 from the iso immediately after the first attempt and with no changes succeeded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.