Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Windows 10 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: BA - Blue
chrome issues on W10 common or rare?

The main reason I've held off upgrading so far on my laptop is that I am very much tied to chrome due to its fantastic translate feature (an absolute must for me in China).

Having read about issues on here and elsewhere about using chrome in the W10 environment: is there a feel for how 'common' this is?

thanks,

tb
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Here's a question that I don't think has been asked previously in this thread... I am currently running two desktops that were originally running Win XP... eventually, the HDs on both needed to be replaced, and when this happened, I had W7 installed on the new HDs, completely licensed copies.

The "upgrade checker" finds no hardware issues with upgrading to W10, but would I be more likely to have a variety of driver issues since the machines were originally designed for XP?
Imo, you should be fine..
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Have you made sure you installed every update and rebooted?

That fixed it for me...
I think that I have, though I am not 100% certain as it seems that Lenovo has names of drivers that sometimes do not correlate (at least to my brain) to the device in question.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by trueblu
The main reason I've held off upgrading so far on my laptop is that I am very much tied to chrome due to its fantastic translate feature (an absolute must for me in China).

Having read about issues on here and elsewhere about using chrome in the W10 environment: is there a feel for how 'common' this is?

thanks,

tb
I can tell you that I had no issue whatsoever with Chrome when I upgraded. If you do run into the problem, it's a fairly straightforward matter to delete your Chrome profile and start with a new one which eliminates the problem.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
I can tell you that I had no issue whatsoever with Chrome when I upgraded. If you do run into the problem, it's a fairly straightforward matter to delete your Chrome profile and start with a new one which eliminates the problem.
Good to know, thanks.

tb
Old Aug 8, 2015, 6:55 pm

New problem, I was going to do a Clean Install but hit a snag that honestly I have no idea how to deal with.

When I ordered my Thinkpad from Lenovo, I ordered it with Office 2010 Pre-Installed along with Adobe Acrobat X.

While I did make Recovery DVDs and I assume Office and Acrobat are on those DVDs, they also come with Win7 and I would not want to downgrade just to get Office and Acrobat back.

I have no tried to see if there is a way to just extract Office and Acrobat from the Recovery DVDs, but I highly doubt it.

I tried Downloading a Backup from Microsoft but the Product Key apparently does not allow one to Download Backups (no idea why).

I was able to Download a Backup of Acrobat, but I have not tried to install it with the CD key as I am not willing to do the clean install till I know that at least Office works.

Any idea?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
If you have the product key, you can always just download a pirate copy or borrow someone else's disk -- the product key is the important thing.

You may want to verify using a product key recovery tool (e.g. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html ) that the installation key used matches the one you already have.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:26 pm
Suspended

I'll wait until the first service pack. Let Microsoft work out the usual bugs and issues.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:45 pm

I upgraded the missus' Lenovo T420 today. It went mostly without a hitch; the only issue was with the Lenovo Companion software complaining about the System Interface Driver not being present and repeatedly offering to download and install it (which I did, twice). I subsequently discovered that I had to manually install a new version of Lenovo Update, which then installed some module that apparently addressed Windows 10 issues. After that, things appeared to be working fine.

I was surprised that the upgrade process didn't somehow force you to convert your existing account to a Microsoft account. Both local accounts migrated fine, with no nags about signing on with Live.

I think my own T420 might be a bigger challenge, but I'm taking the precaution of cloning the existing 500GB Samsung SSD onto a new 1TB 850 Pro, then upgrading that. I'll keep the 500GB on standby for a month or so just in case something bad happens with the new drive.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ou81two
I'll wait until the first service pack. Let Microsoft work out the usual bugs and issues.
There is no such thing as a Service Pack for Windows 10.

Originally Posted by nkedel
If you have the product key, you can always just download a pirate copy or borrow someone else's disk -- the product key is the important thing.
Remember, this is a public board...
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
There is no such thing as a Service Pack for Windows 10.
Well, not by that name. It's not clear how soon there will be a rolled-up post-RTM build, but there will be some, and the service packs for Vista and 7 (nor the Windows 8.1 "Update") were not "big bangs" changing the guts of the OS the way the later XP service packs were. 8.1 was kind of an odd duck, since it was basically 8SP1, but it takes its own product keys -- really annoying if you have a machine that shipped with 8.0, although I'd imagine there's a workaround to having to reinstall 8.0 and then update.

Remember, this is a public board...
I see no problem in encouraging people to "think outside the box" for acquiring media for something they already have a legitimate license to. They still need to have their legitimate product key and to be able to pass activation to use it.

If the product key happened to be for Pro Plus 2010, they can just download a trial from MS, but for the other editions (e.g. Home and Student) if their product key doesn't work for the "backup download" I'm not aware of another legitimate way to download it.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Well, not by that name.
Well then technically the first "update" has been dropped. It's called "Service Releases"

http://liliputing.com/2015/08/window...a-service.html
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:51 pm

You may want to verify using a product key recovery tool (e.g. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html ) that the installation key used matches the one you already have.
I did verify my Product Key and in fact I had the original slip of paper that Lenovo included in the box with it and they match.

Obtaining a Pirate Copy is complicated as while Google is ripe with links I am not sure how to work something like a Torrent and to be honest it seems more dangerous from a Virus/Malware perspective than I care to get into.

None of my friends have Office 2010 the best one neighbor has in Office 2013 but my Install Key will not work with Office 2013, turns out most of my friends have long ago lost their DVDs/CDs/etc.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kmersh
None of my friends have Office 2010 the best one neighbor has in Office 2013 but my Install Key will not work with Office 2013, turns out most of my friends have long ago lost their DVDs/CDs/etc.
Use the phone option. It sounds stupid, but if it's a legit Office key, it will work. Don't ask me why though it refuses to activate via the internet...
Old Aug 9, 2015, 7:23 pm

I hate the fact all W10 Home users are now involuntary beta testers for updates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.