Free Windows 10 upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Windows 10 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I've tried no HD and even the normal Win 8.1 disk but no go on that. USB key (with 8/8.1 recovery AND minimal DOS) doesn't work, nor does a Win 7 recovery DVD. Might try a CD next as it is trying to boot to optical and something fast may work (even tried the HD in an ODD caddy).

And Acer seems to have gone towards using non-volatile CMOS so one cannot reset the memory by taking out the CMOS battery (done that, out for an hour+). Have to find CMOS shorting points (none apparent) or it would seem, try to reflash the memory (but the files may not be publicly available).
Sorry, I missed this until now. Yeah, at this point, contacting Acer would probably be useful. Wow Sorry to hear about all of this.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
No joy for me this weekend with my ThinkPad T440s. I've done everything in this very meticulous list of items and have probably attempted the 30 times that the poster said he had to do:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...hing_happened/

Update: I tried one more thing - doing a Windows 8.1 "refresh." So, essentially reinstalling 8.1. After that, tried the Windows 10 update directly from the Media Creation Tool...and it worked!

Now to spend the next several days re-tweaking all the settings that Windows 10 put back in default mode. Grrr.

Last edited by DenverBrian; Aug 2, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
BIOS being the programming code that runs the computer and CMOS is what it is stored on.
Sorta; CMOS is where it stores user configuration. The firmware itself (Legacy BIOS/UEFI/SMBIOS and any other HW-specific stuff) will be in Flash, non-Flash EEPROM, or older types of ROM.

Also, the regular BIOS or UEFI firmware is mostly done running once the OS starts (DOS aside, and that's a long time ago.)

Lastly, have you tried an external keyboard to see if you can interrupt boot with that?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
What used to happen directly after? The Windows boot screen?
Wouldn't normally even see the boot thing unless you paid close attention, and yes, it did go to Windows boot screen.

I still cannot fathom how the W10 upgrade caused that to happen. In fact, my entire world is now....flipped upside down. I just can't think of what happened to cause that. In support, root cause is usually narrowed down to an event that triggered the problem. So in this case, I agree, it probably has something to do with the W10 upgrade. However, in my head, that's an impossible root cause. Would be very interested to hear what the issue was!
I think they must muck around with the BIOS. Has to.

Steps were, I reformatted the partition of the HD that had Win 10 Technical Preview on t as that one bombed real good. Reinstalled Win 8.1 from a USB key. Drive was booting up fine.

Ran the Win 10 UG from the USB key (by running the bacth or exe file). Did a complete drive clean again. UG went to installing Win 10 files and apps, at which is froze and some point (blank _dark_ screen, no keybaord response, no drive lights for minutes). Rebooted, tried to do it again, before saying it was reverting to Win 8.1.

At that point, it became lifeless again. When I tried to reboot, it came up with the problems shown in the video. Some hardware failure is possible but I don't think so.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel
Sorta; CMOS is where it stores user configuration. The firmware itself (Legacy BIOS/UEFI/SMBIOS and any other HW-specific stuff) will be in Flash, non-Flash EEPROM, or older types of ROM.)
In my case, the CMOS (assuming that is where the boot order is stored) is non-volatile (maybe a new development but it is a PITA as I can't reset the BIOS settings).

No external KB available but I was going to take the laptop down to a thrift store. Right now in the process of seeing if I can by some miracle reflash the BIOS.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite

I think they must muck around with the BIOS. Has to.

Steps were, I reformatted the partition of the HD that had Win 10 Technical Preview on t as that one bombed real good. Reinstalled Win 8.1 from a USB key. Drive was booting up fine.

Ran the Win 10 UG from the USB key (by running the bacth or exe file). Did a complete drive clean again.
Hmm. So just thinking from a technical standpoint, I can't think of any reason Win 10 would much around with the BIOS given your install order and what you did. And also, what did you mean about "complete drive clean again"? Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:05 am
Suspended

Lastly, have you tried an external keyboard to see if you can interrupt boot with that?
A very good suggestion.

I know this is super rare, but I think at this point that it's a hardware issue...
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And also, what did you mean about "complete drive clean again"? Thanks!
Option to format the drive with the Win 10 UG.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:17 am
Suspended

Option to format the drive with the Win 10 UG.
Oh I see. Hmm, that still doesn't mean that Windows is accessing the BIOS and messing with drive order.

I think this is one of those super rare instances where it's a full moon and that penguins now can actually take flight.

I suspect root cause is....

1) Win 10 was being installed
2) Penguins took flight
3) Hardware now has failed.

The reality is that even with the HDD out the machine it is doing this (based on what I understand with the posts that have been made). At this point, whether or not it is Windows that has caused this, the first item on the repair list to go do is to get the machine to a point where it actually tries to access the HDD..or a bootable USB etc etc

In my opinion, this is a super rare issue. I'd buy a lotto ticket and see if you win. Because that's how lucky (or unlucky) you are....
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh I see. Hmm, that still doesn't mean that Windows is accessing the BIOS and messing with drive order.

I think this is one of those super rare instances where it's a full moon and that penguins now can actually take flight.

I suspect root cause is....

1) Win 10 was being installed
2) Penguins took flight
3) Hardware now has failed.

The reality is that even with the HDD out the machine it is doing this (based on what I understand with the posts that have been made). At this point, whether or not it is Windows that has caused this, the first item on the repair list to go do is to get the machine to a point where it actually tries to access the HDD..or a bootable USB etc etc

It could be a hardware failure but answer me this:

Supposing you're installing a new OS onto your machine and it says the machine will reboot several times during such. The BIOS is set to boot from your HD first and not the USB or ODD and your bootable install media is on one of those. How does the install know to go to that device after each install?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:20 pm
Suspended

It could be a hardware failure but answer me this:

Supposing you're installing a new OS onto your machine and it says the machine will reboot several times during such. The BIOS is set to boot from your HD first and not the USB or ODD and your bootable install media is on one of those. How does the install know to go to that device after each install?
Hmm. Very salient point. I'm not too sure to be frank. [and I have wondered about this for a few years]

At this point though, it does not appear your machine even successfully POSTs though...
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
In my case, the CMOS (assuming that is where the boot order is stored) is non-volatile (maybe a new development but it is a PITA as I can't reset the BIOS settings).
The CMOS is always non-volatile, that's the point of the battery. OTOH, yeah, if there's no external battery (whether it's now on flash or similar thing, or there is some non-user-accessible battery embedded in something) that doesn't help... and the latter is, AFAICT, increasingly common.

No external KB available
If you can give it a couple of days, a cheapie is good thing to have around for debugging. Should be able to get something under $10

Hmm. So just thinking from a technical standpoint, I can't think of any reason Win 10 would much around with the BIOS given your install order and what you did. And also, what did you mean about "complete drive clean again"? Thanks!
On UEFI, the Windows installer WILL add the Windows Boot Manager entry at the top of the list. I'm not aware of any standard way for a regular-BIOS install of Windows to muck with the boot order.

Before UEFI, that's why Windows CDs and DVDs had the "press any key to boot from this disc..." prompt.

OTOH, on newer machines the usual way to install from external media with the boot override menu (sometimes F11 or F12, sometimes available only through BIOS setup, depending on the manufacturer.) On one particularly annoying newer machine*, it required booting into UEFI shell and telling it which drive to boot from in a cryptic format.

(* the Intel Compute Stick, which I recommend not buying. For $30 more, and still well under $200, the HP Stream mini-desktop is way more powerful, upgradable, and once you figure on the need for a powered USB hub to plug much of anything into the ICS, it's not even that much smaller.)

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
At this point though, it does not appear your machine even successfully POSTs though...
Yeah, looks like it.

It looks like some Acers have a recovery mode accessible with Alt-F10. Tried that? It doesn't look like it has a full firmware diagnostics program like many Dell and Lenovo models have, though.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Sounds like you might have a corrupt MBR.

http://forums.techdiscussion.in/show...llation-Solved
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:15 pm
Suspended

On UEFI, the Windows installer WILL add the Windows Boot Manager entry at the top of the list. I'm not aware of any standard way for a regular-BIOS install of Windows to muck with the boot order.
I was aware of this, but the issue is on a machine that is running BIOS, and not UEFI.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Sounds like you might have a corrupt MBR.

http://forums.techdiscussion.in/show...llation-Solved
If you watch the YouTube video, you will see that neither of those solutions will fix the issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.