Free Windows 10 upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Windows 10 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SimonB77
We (Insiders) already have the final build. And it's a wee bit too late for PC users to get on board. It won't get you on the "first wave."
Cite?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: Motel 8 - Copper
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Cite?

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/210787-windows-10-build-10240-is-the-rtm-version-but-microsoft-wishes-youd-stop-calling-it-that
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:52 pm

Thanks
Anytime, enjoy your posts. Cheers!
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
As for the D630, I pulled the C2D chip out & DIY with a faster supported quad chip in about 20 minutes (easier than it looks or get one's geek friend to help) - can't compare with the i7 CPU setup but unnecessary for logging into Exchange, watch MP4's and run Office 2013, etc. It is very happy now on W7 so not in a rush to bump up to W10.
I'm amazed that they have the thermal headroom to get a Q9000 or Q9100 in there. The difference between the 35W T7300 in my wife's former D630 and the 25W P8400 was already rather dramatic, and those C2Qs are 45W. Glad to hear it works well for you, though!

Depending on how you use it, look into VLC Media Player (free for home/private use, etc.)
...and any other kind; it's GPL. There may be other patent restrictions that apply to certain uses.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nkedel
I'm amazed that they have the thermal headroom to get a Q9000 or Q9100 in there. The difference between the 35W T7300 in my wife's former D630 and the 25W P8400 was already rather dramatic, and those C2Qs are 45W. Glad to hear it works well for you, though!

...and any other kind; it's GPL. There may be other patent restrictions that apply to certain uses.
Pardon me (and I say this with utmost respect), but what does this have to do with the Win10 upgrade?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pardon me (and I say this with utmost respect), but what does this have to do with the Win10 upgrade?
A) Thread drift. No more relevant or not than the comments about upgrading the D630 in the first place (if it will run on the Intel Compute stick, it will run on pretty much any of the Core 2 processors )

B) A couple of us recommended VLC; the statement " Depending on how you use it, look into VLC Media Player (free for home/private use, etc.)" seemed to be implying that it was not free for commercial use.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Clint Bint
Computer illiterate here.
I see Windows 10 doesn't support Media Player.What does this mean for pictures and music stored on the computer ?
Windows Media Center is going away. Windows Media Player looks like it'll still be there.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Windows Media Center is going away. Windows Media Player looks like it'll still be there.
Okay thanks.
Even though I don't know the difference between the two.
I've signed on for the upgrade.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:00 am

Yes, indeed it is. Even after all the press about it going away. Maybe Microsoft has had a change of heart. In any case I haven't used media player since 2002-2003. My current tools of choice are VLC for video and Foobar2000 for audio.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clint Bint
Even though I don't know the difference between the two.
Explained in more depth in reply #131 but:
* Media Player - rather clunky and obsolete media player program.
* Media Center - "TV friendly" UI for using your Windows machine as a set top box

Unless you actually know what you were using, it was Player, not Center -- the latter is not something one used by accident. Or used at all, in most cases, which is why they tried to kill it with 8 and did with 10.

A small number of people were really enthusiastic about Windows as a Home Theater PC OS, and are undoubtedly extremely bothered by the removal. I'd rather use XBMC Kodi.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by SimonB77
Yes, indeed it is. Even after all the press about it going away. Maybe Microsoft has had a change of heart. In any case I haven't used media player since 2002-2003. My current tools of choice are VLC for video and Foobar2000 for audio.
In my corporate environment, we still use Media Player to bring up videos within a PowerPoint presentation, but of course it's also Windows 7.

VLC is a great choice as a freeware video player.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my corporate environment, we still use Media Player to bring up videos within a PowerPoint presentation, but of course it's also Windows 7.
I'm sure Microsoft will find something else for OLE embedding before getting rid of Windows Media Player.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:39 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I upgraded my Surface 3 earlier. Seems to work fine
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rollout starts happening today.

This site gives a little more info, although I didn't like this:
...people who have gone through the Windows 10 reservation process will begin to receive the ability to update to the new OS. When the rollout hits them, Windows 10 will download to their computers before they're presented with the option to update.
I thought they would give you an option to let them know a good time.

At least it doesn't say they will automatically upgrade your OS.

Also, no word yet on just getting the .iso image, and how they will handle activation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.