Free Windows 10 upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Windows 10 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I think it was in this thread that someone refers to a website/blog that details how to fully optimize the OS, and he/she was waiting for them to post W10 optimizations before upgrading. Can anyone provide the URL?

Thanks.
See message #201.

Presumably referring to this:
http://www.blackviper.com/service-co...onfigurations/
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:30 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Trojan on Edge

Upgraded a five year old HP laptop Friday. Did custom install with everything set to off. A few hiccups but everything is working fine including Chrome and am again able to use Firefox which had choked out on Windows 7.

Edge, however, was very nice to use until a Trojan popped up Sunday, the Windows System Defender call this 800 number scam. I've tried everything to get rid of it but nothing has worked so far. Windows Defense and MalwareBytes don't even see it. Any ideas? I unpinned it from Taskbar but it is lurking there.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Chrome working again.....

My biggest complaint about W10 was that chrome ( my browser of choice) did not work after I downloaded the upgrade.

I am now in Mexico and not sure why that would change user-ability but I downloaded Chrome again onto my computer and now it works just fine. In fact it is the fastest browser for me on W10.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone know if TOR, Firefox, and Opera will work in W10 without re-installation?

Last edited by sonofzeus; Aug 5, 2015 at 4:38 pm Reason: sp correction
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Anyone know if TOR, Firefox, and Opera will work in W10 without reistallation?
Tor: don't know.
Firefox and Opera: both work fine without re-installation. (Chrome sometimes does.)
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by LLM
Upgraded a five year old HP laptop Friday. Did custom install with everything set to off. A few hiccups but everything is working fine including Chrome and am again able to use Firefox which had choked out on Windows 7.

Edge, however, was very nice to use until a Trojan popped up Sunday, the Windows System Defender call this 800 number scam. I've tried everything to get rid of it but nothing has worked so far. Windows Defense and MalwareBytes don't even see it. Any ideas? I unpinned it from Taskbar but it is lurking there.
A methodical four-step approach is here:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-...efender-virus/
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by david4455
My biggest complaint about W10 was that chrome ( my browser of choice) did not work after I downloaded the upgrade.

I am now in Mexico and not sure why that would change user-ability but I downloaded Chrome again onto my computer and now it works just fine. In fact it is the fastest browser for me on W10.
Have you look into SR Ware Iron?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
On my computer, adding my Gmail and two Google Apps e-mail/calendar accounts were a breeze (and a much better implementation compared to W8). On her computer, it tries to load her Google Apps e-mail, but it always times out.
Turns out, I locked down the privacy settings a little too much.

In the privacy settings, the Calendar functionality must be able to access the "Mail & Calendar" app.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Anyone know if TOR, Firefox, and Opera will work in W10 without reistallation?
TOR and Firefox worked without reinstall. But please don't think you are browsing the internet anonymously. It's relatively easy to figure out what you're doing
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
More peeves: W10 randomly resets my taskbar back to one line high instead of the two lines high I have it set at. Sometimes it resets after going to sleep...sometimes not. Grrr.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:11 pm

Have two odd annoying issue and I have tried to remedy both of them, but nothing seems to do the trick.

Issue 1: My Trackpad Scrolls properly on Third Party Software like FireFox and Chrome, but not in Native Windows 10 Windows like Settings. I have downloaded the latest version of the Synaptics Drivers (specifically for Windows 10) but that does not seem to make a difference)

Issue 2: How To Determine if my Cellular Modem is connected to 4G (LTE) or 3G (HSPA), etc.. In Windows 7 I could simply hover over the Connection name in my Case at&t and it would say LTE, etc. and I have been unable to figure out a similar method in Windows 10.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kmersh

Issue 1: My Trackpad Scrolls properly on Third Party Software like FireFox and Chrome, but not in Native Windows 10 Windows like Settings. I have downloaded the latest version of the Synaptics Drivers (specifically for Windows 10) but that does not seem to make a difference)
Have you made sure you installed every update and rebooted?

That fixed it for me...
Old Aug 8, 2015, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
TOR and Firefox worked without reinstall. But please don't think you are browsing the internet anonymously. It's relatively easy to figure out what you're doing
Not using TOR for perfect anonymity.

It is interesting to shop around the world for goods and services with different browsers. The variations in prices/availability would shock/awe you.

BTW Tried and failed to install W10 3x on our ASUS ultrabook. W8.1 is running smoothly with updated drivers and will suffice.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I've got a weird one.

On my test machine, I can connect to the internet with Edge and Firefox, but the OS itself doesn't seem able to connect. I can't get any Windows updates or activate.

The only mention I found of this anywhere online was someone who had a proxy server setting disrupting their connection, so I disabled all of the proxy settings. No difference at all.

Anyone have any other ideas?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Here's a question that I don't think has been asked previously in this thread... I am currently running two desktops that were originally running Win XP... eventually, the HDs on both needed to be replaced, and when this happened, I had W7 installed on the new HDs, completely licensed copies.

The "upgrade checker" finds no hardware issues with upgrading to W10, but would I be more likely to have a variety of driver issues since the machines were originally designed for XP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.