Free Windows 10 upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Windows 10 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by nkedel
Brought back the intermittent freezes on the X201, which I attributed to video-driver issues on there but may be something else - am wondering if it being "fixed" on 10166 was coincidence.

Otherwise, seems thoroughly stable on the other machines, although there's no really visible difference I've noticed since 10162
Same here. I have one machine on the Enterprise version, and one on the regular consumer version, I haven't noticed any differences on both.

Maybe I should try and find a changelog or something, but yeah, no differences for me now that i'm on it too!
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Same here. I have one machine on the Enterprise version, and one on the regular consumer version, I haven't noticed any differences on both.

Maybe I should try and find a changelog or something, but yeah, no differences for me now that i'm on it too!
Per the first thing that comes up on Google:
http://www.neowin.net/news/what039s-...10-build-10240

...basically, bugfixes and speedup in Edge.

I didn't notice the watermark being gone, and I'm booted into Linux right now, but I'll check later.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Per the first thing that comes up on Google:
http://www.neowin.net/news/what039s-...10-build-10240

...basically, bugfixes and speedup in Edge.

I didn't notice the watermark being gone, and I'm booted into Linux right now, but I'll check later.
On the consumer version, on one of my partitions (for Bitlocker), I can't save my Recovery key without Windows going all weird on me forcing a manual reboot. So it's been a net negative for me so far
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:57 pm

All of my computers are eligible for a free Windows 7 to 10 upgrade except one laptop which is currently serving as my HTPC. I will be updating all my computers to Windows 10 as soon as the dust settles from the initial release with its usual set of broken drivers, etc. I plan to leave that one laptop on Windows 7 until it dies completely. Is there any problem that I should anticipate doing so or should I also be looking for a new laptop? It's an old Dell D610 which has a graphics card that is not WDDM compatible so I don't think it'll ever be upgradable to Windows 10.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
All of my computers are eligible for a free Windows 7 to 10 upgrade except one laptop which is currently serving as my HTPC. I will be updating all my computers to Windows 10 as soon as the dust settles from the initial release with its usual set of broken drivers, etc. I plan to leave that one laptop on Windows 7 until it dies completely. Is there any problem that I should anticipate doing so or should I also be looking for a new laptop? It's an old Dell D610 which has a graphics card that is not WDDM compatible so I don't think it'll ever be upgradable to Windows 10.
Windows will most likely be a phased roll out and not be offered to everyone on July 29th to minimize issues like the above.

A few news articles have already mentioned this
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
... I plan to leave that one laptop on Windows 7 until it dies completely. Is there any problem that I should anticipate doing so or should I also be looking for a new laptop? It's an old Dell D610 which has a graphics card that is not WDDM compatible so I don't think it'll ever be upgradable to Windows 10.
Is that D610 now running on W7 or a new one? Support for W7 is going to be around for a while so what's there to worry about. We've about a dozen PC & laptops in our 2 family home for personal use and going to be playing around with W10 in stages, not going to upgrade them all at once.

Have a spare D410 that's definitely not upgrading but it's fine on W7Pro as a sterile laptop for play, it's going to get a new life running LinuxMint. Have a D630 with upgraded C2D (T9300 CPU) that I might bump up to W10 later on (SSD & 4G memory, 320 GB HDD in optical bay) just for fun - otherwise, it has years of service life remaining with the docking station. An older D620 is sitting around as backup, slow/antique to most but not if I wipe W7 & run LinuxM on it. The Latitude series were solidly built and spare/parts are cheap & easy to find - if you don't need the extra bells & whistles, just wait-n-see. Two of our newest Optiplex desktops are, however, are ready W10 - bigger new drives & memory boosted already to prepare it ... busy imaging the OS lately & running data backups, etc. For many users, W7 and/or W8 are more than sufficient for daily use - let others get ahead of the upgrade game.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Jul 29, 2015 at 9:18 pm Reason: fixed CPU info
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Is that D610 now running on W7 or a new one? Support for W7 is going to be around for a while so what's there to worry about.
Until 2020.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I plan to leave that one laptop on Windows 7 until it dies completely. Is there any problem that I should anticipate doing so or should I also be looking for a new laptop? It's an old Dell D610 which has a graphics card that is not WDDM compatible so I don't think it'll ever be upgradable to Windows 10.
I'd describe the D610 as one model too old to be worth running Windows 7 on. Single core, at most maybe 2ghz dothan if you got one of the later ones is pretty painful with modern apps.

Letitride3c's approach of using one of the lighter-weight Linux desktop distributions to keep an older machine like that alive is probably the better one.

I'm not sure about the video driver support for the Intel 945, but other than that I'd expect anything with a decent mid-range or higher processor of the 1st-gen Core 2 models to run Windows 10 quite nicely; the footprint is actually lighter/easier on the machine than Windows 7 with Aero turned on.

The oldest machine I've tried it on personally was an X201, which some of the builds have worked beautifully on, but friends have run it fine with the X200s/T400s which are the same 2nd-generation Core 2 processors and the 965 chipset that are in the D630.

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
For many users, W7 and/or W8 are more than sufficient for daily use - let others get ahead of the upgrade game.
Windows 10 is really 8.2; I'd agree with the "wait and see" approach for people who are on Windows 7 and happy with it, but I'd strongly urge anyone running 8 or 8.1 (on a real, non-RT machine) to upgrade to 10 ASAP. Windows 10 takes almost all 8 or 8.1 drivers (I'm sure there are some exceptions but I'm not aware of any), and it really cleans up the rough edges of the Win8 UI model.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 5:06 am
Suspended

Computer illiterate here.
I see Windows 10 doesn't support Media Player.What does this mean for pictures and music stored on the computer ?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Clint Bint
I see Windows 10 doesn't support Media Player.What does this mean for pictures and music stored on the computer ?
In what sense?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TL;DR: Windows 10 comes with separate Video and Music player apps, and a Photo viewer app. They work well enough, and you'll have no trouble listening to music and viewing photos on your computer even right out of the box, although some of the more obscure features are gone.

It's also still Windows so there are a ton of third-party ways of doing something.

--

The big thing that's not supported is Media Center that's not supported -- this was a system add-on that was intended to make Windows act like a cable box, using a "TV-friendly" (large print, usable with a remote control) UI.

If you have the computer plugged into a TV, and want a program that works like this, you will need to download a different program to do it. I recommend Kodi (formerly known as XBMC) although there are others.

I'm not sure if the over-the-network streaming features that never worked well are still there; Kodi or Plex are better anyway.

"Windows Media Player" is still there in Windows 10 although it is no longer the default for anything (just type "wmplayer" in search to get it) so if you really like it (I can't imagine why!) you can run it and manually make it the defauly app for things.

Windows 10 has substantially the same functionality in the Videos and Music apps, which are substantially more streamlined and modern-looking, although both tie into "store" functionality from Microsoft.

I prefer VLC for a video player (no more installing codecs nonsense!) and WinAmp for music, but the built-in apps aren't bad.

For pictures, the built-in photos app is genuinely pretty good these days; on 7 I preferred Picasa but I don't find myself using it on 10. (There's also a desktop "Photo Gallery" app from Microsoft that's available on Windows Live Essentials and which works on 10.)
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
... not sure about the video driver support for the Intel 945, but other than that I'd expect anything with a decent mid-range or higher processor of the 1st-gen Core 2 models to run Windows 10 quite nicely; the footprint is actually lighter/easier on the machine than Windows 7 with Aero turned on ... the same second-generation Core 2 processors and the 965 chipset that are in the D630.

Windows 10 is really 8.2; I'd agree with the "wait and see" approach for people who are on Windows 7 and happy with it, but I'd strongly urge anyone running 8 or 8.1 (on a real, non-RT machine) to upgrade to 10 ASAP. Windows 10 takes almost all 8 or 8.1 drivers ... and it really cleans up the rough edges of the Win8 UI model.
Great as always to hear of other's sharing their first hand impression. According to $S, the older D620 with Intel945 chipset met the W10 requirement & will run - not sure if I wanted see the turtle race, maybe 3 to 6 months down the road when I'm grounded for the weekend with a blizzard, I'll load the ISO - LinuxMint 13 (Maya) runs great on it (LTS till 2017) and should be good enough for Ubuntu 15.x just out with LTS till 2019 (I believe)

As for the D630, I pulled the C2D chip out & DIY with a faster supported T9300 chip in about 20 minutes (easier than it looks or get one's geek friend to help) - can't compare with the i7 CPU setup but unnecessary for logging into Exchange, watch MP4's and run Office 2013, etc. It is very happy now on W7 so not in a rush to bump up to W10.

My favorite for leisure trips is the compact & slim Sony Viao NB, just cleaned it up with a fresh W8.1 64-bit (8 GB memory, 750 GB HDD) install & all prep'd - will probably push W10 on it, although Sony support site is advising to wait so that they can test everything & release any patches needed, etc. This was shipped with W8 and I downgraded it to W7 before doing a clean install to run W8.1 Initially, MS's upgrade had an alert that some of the Qualcomm device drivers might conflict - rechecked that this week & everything seemed fine ... most likey to do this one first once it's official & out.

Are you using that now & happy with it ? Depending on how you use it, look into VLC Media Player (free for home/private use, etc.) - it's great & use it on 3 platforms: Windows, Linux & Androids. Never really bothered using MC and IMO, won't miss it at all. For streaming, pickup a Chromecast or Amazon's Firestick - nice & simple and does a lot more & better at it, both at home & on the go.

*** Sidenote: next week's BestBuy sales ad running "promo" with W10 pre-installed on PC's & laptops, available on July 29th. so those RTM are now making its way (if not already) into the production runs, all set for the launch ...

Last edited by Letitride3c; Jul 29, 2015 at 9:19 pm
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Windows will most likely be a phased roll out and not be offered to everyone on July 29th to minimize issues like the above.
I believe it will just be going to the 5M in the Windows Insider program. After that, it's been described as a series of waves over several months.

You can still enroll in the program, though you can't actually download the software anymore (other than Mobile). If you're eager, you can see if that gets you in the first wave.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPRich
I believe it will just be going to the 5M in the Windows Insider program. After that, it's been described as a series of waves over several months.

You can still enroll in the program, though you can't actually download the software anymore (other than Mobile). If you're eager, you can see if that gets you in the first wave.
That's what I'm thinking too.

August 1st AFAIK the Enterprise ISO gets released (again AFAIK, I'm not 100% on this one)
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: Motel 8 - Copper
Originally Posted by CPRich

We (Insiders) already have the final build. And it's a wee bit too late for PC users to get on board. It won't get you on the "first wave."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.