Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new 12inch Macbook

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Language is NSFW, but the content is oddly fitting to this discussion.

https://youtu.be/jyTA33HQZLA
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of the first benchmarks came in. It isn't pretty, this thing looks like it is a bit of a... dog.

Early Benchmarks Put Retina MacBook CPU Performance in Range of 2011 MacBook Air
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WIRunner
One of the first benchmarks came in. It isn't pretty, this thing looks like it is a bit of a... dog.

Early Benchmarks Put Retina MacBook CPU Performance in Range of 2011 MacBook Air
It all comes down to how you're going to use the machine. For most people that level of performance is perfectly acceptable. Some, of course, are probably better served by the MacBook Pro. Future iterations of the MacBook will probably correct the more glaring issues (like having only one USB-C port).
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No surprise. Other Core M machines like the Lenovo Yoga Pro 3 are just as bad. I actually downgraded a Pro 3 to a Pro 2 just to get the Core i7 with some oomph.

Core M is great for battery life, but given its limitations, you might as well just get a Chromebook since browsing is all it really can manage.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
We know the CPU performance doesn't compare to any of the regular non M i5 or i7 chips, but the experienced performance of these new machines is not going be anywhere near that of the 4 yr old MBA or other machines. The fact that the memory and SSD's are operating at about 4-10X of the 2011 MBA will make the machine very 'quick'..

crunching vidoes, apply USM, no, it's about raw processing power but pretty much anything other than that it'll run very quick.

Not buying one, but it's not as dire as the one data point would imply
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
It all comes down to how you're going to use the machine. For most people that level of performance is perfectly acceptable. Some, of course, are probably better served by the MacBook Pro. Future iterations of the MacBook will probably correct the more glaring issues (like having only one USB-C port).
If someone is using it for just that they would be better served by a Chromebook, or a Macbook Air. Apple should have brought back the iBook name if the performance is this poor. There will be undoubtedly someone that buys one of those beasts and gets upset with the fact that it is slow. Of course it will sell just fine, and won't be a boondoggle of a product, maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing if Apple had a flop one of these days.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
If someone is using it for just that they would be better served by a Chromebook, or a Macbook Air. Apple should have brought back the iBook name if the performance is this poor. There will be undoubtedly someone that buys one of those beasts and gets upset with the fact that it is slow. Of course it will sell just fine, and won't be a boondoggle of a product, maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing if Apple had a flop one of these days.
Being overpriced is normal for first-gen Apple products. I would be interested in reading some reviews when it comes out though.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:06 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
I think the review sites are talking about it matching the performance of the mid-2011 MacBook Air. I'm using one of those and performance is fine. I mean, I'm not going to price a book of multi-euro swaptions or do prepayment analysis of CMOs, but it's fine for most content creation, light development work, and traditional business software. It runs VMware fine too - again this if for light development and regular business software use.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by lensman
I think the review sites are talking about it matching the performance of the mid-2011 MacBook Air. I'm using one of those and performance is fine. I mean, I'm not going to price a book of multi-euro swaptions or do prepayment analysis of CMOs, but it's fine for most content creation, light development work, and traditional business software. It runs VMware fine too - again this if for light development and regular business software use.
In other words, it will be a great travel laptop but a poor business laptop.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
It will be interesting to see how the performance compares to the new Surface 3. Apple and Microsoft obviously had the same design goals with both devices (fanless, low power consumption) but Apple went with the Core M while Microsoft went with the new Atom.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

has 1 port.. macbookair has 3 ports..
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
?

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
that's what dongles are for. ;-)

(overpriced dongles that is)

think about it this way though, a backup charger should be a lot cheaper!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
To me that is a plus to be honest. I can't remember the last time I used one of the ports on my Macbook Pro besides a USB. In the 4 years I've owned it I have used the thunderbolt port and the Firewire 800 each one time. I would love to have it slimmer and lose the ports.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

they have a dongle that combines power with other? i have not seen the dongles

seems thunderbolt 2 beats USB 3.1? not sure which computers have which.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by JClishe
It will be interesting to see how the performance compares to the new Surface 3. Apple and Microsoft obviously had the same design goals with both devices (fanless, low power consumption) but Apple went with the Core M while Microsoft went with the new Atom.
The latest Atoms sound good. My cheap as chips T100 (Bay Trail Atom) makes light work of MS Office. That's not to say all is wonderful. What happens when you open a raw file, in Adobe Camera Raw/Photoshop, from something like a Pentax 645D, on the MacBook 12? I'm guessing things will be a little slow. As for editing 4K video.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.