The new 12inch Macbook

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new 12inch Macbook

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
It's a great looking device, but the lack of ports is concerning. I wish Apple were less obsessed with thinness and left enough space for a couple more USB ports.

I do like the move to USB-C (and I look forward to them being standard on everything) but a second one wouldn't have killed them.
I agree. I'm liking the idea of third party power supplies that work and more importantly, can I power a Macbook using airplane USB power?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I wouldn't bet on powering it with anything other than the very high capacity charger that comes with it, and certainly not the USB port on a plane.

Edit: And no, a second bloody USB port wouldn't have hurt them!
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:01 pm

Google's new Pixelbook also uses the USB-C. I presume that it's charger would work with the new Mac.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deniah
wow, that looks great!

all you have to do is carry around an external monitor, keyboard, mouse, and AC power source , to get your work done on an airplane!
You were impressed by the size of the board, I showed that it isn't that impressive. We never discussed usability. And FWIW; I take it from your comment that you have never stayed in a hotel with a TV and HDMI input.

I carry the stick and a tiny Bluetooth keyboard. It makes for an excellent little media player.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ScottC
You were impressed by the size of the board, I showed that it isn't that impressive. We never discussed usability. And FWIW; I take it from your comment that you have never stayed in a hotel with a TV and HDMI input.

I carry the stick and a tiny Bluetooth keyboard. It makes for an excellent little media player.
Context is king.

I was impressed by the size of the board in a laptop. (with actual productive power, RAM, and pushes 4k... but lets ignore this for now)

I have stayed in hotels with TV and HDMI. But tell me: what does that have to do with working on an airplane

Unclear why zealots come into a thread about a Macbook and turn it into a pissing match? As a *A flyer I don't visit OW forums to proselytize about how an alternate carrier might be better than theirs.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Context is king.

I was impressed by the size of the board in a laptop. (with actual productive power, RAM, and pushes 4k... but lets ignore this for now)

I have stayed in hotels with TV and HDMI. But tell me: what does that have to do with working on an airplane

Unclear why zealots come into a thread about a Macbook and turn it into a pissing match? As a *A flyer I don't visit OW forums to proselytize about how an alternate carrier might be better than theirs.
You seem like a very angry person. You oohed and aahed over a motherboard, I pointed out how boards are getting much smaller nowadays.

The only pissing match is the one in your mind. Calling your fellow board members zealots for sharing information is a bit over the top, don't you think?

This forum has been very liberal for many, many years, and not everything we discuss has to do with airplanes. A lot of us spent 100's of nights a year in hotels, and any gear that can help us is a welcome thing to discuss.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Internaut
I wouldn't bet on powering it with anything other than the very high capacity charger that comes with it, and certainly not the USB port on a plane.
Why?

Google says that its Chromebook Pixel will trickle-charge from a traditional USB port:
Forgot your power adapter? Plug in the optional Type-C to USB A cable, and top up from any traditional USB port, your phone charger, or a USB power bank. It won’t charge as fast as the included 60W supply, but it’s handy in a pinch.
I'd be 60/40 for Apple designing the power subsystem to allow USB Type C charging at lower voltages. At 29 watts it must at least be using the 12V line and more probably the 20V line. I guess the question is whether it's worth the extra design to build a 5V to 20V step up transformer into the new MacBook in order to allow the edge use case of 5V charging which you'd only need for legacy USB outlets.

The real question is whether airlines will build USB Type C ports into their seats if USB Type C becomes wildly popular?

Last edited by lensman; Mar 15, 2015 at 9:49 pm Reason: fixed link
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lensman
The real question is whether airlines will build USB Type C ports into their seats if USB Type C becomes wildly popular?
By the time the seat frames get to being refreshed again there will likely be yet another standard.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I am pretty confident that your Thunderbolt monitor will also support a DisplayPort connector.
If I want to be pedantic: sure, the Thunderbolt bus is using a physical miniDisplayPort connector :P But if you think you can feed DP signal without the Thunderbolt framing, Anand disagrees http://www.anandtech.com/show/4832/t...display-review

That's right, the only way to get video to the Thunderbolt Display is by using a Thunderbolt enabled Mac (or theoretically a Thunderbolt enabled PC). For Mac users that means only 2011 MacBook Pro, Air, iMac or Mac mini models will work with the Thunderbolt Display. Everyone else has to either buy a new Mac or stick with older displays.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Your Apple fanboidom is clouding your reading comprehension.

I said I look forward to seeing the Air features in the Pro line. You're the only one whining here...and blabbing about Chevy Cruzes?! Wow...
My analysis is dead on. There's no fanboyism. Just me being 100% correct. Yes, I did talk about a Cruze to demonstrate to you an example of two completely different use cases. You were whining about the Macbook not being sufficient for your use case, so I was trying to explain in the simplest possible way, for obvious reasons, in the hope that you might be able to understand. I do apologize as it seems to have one right over your head.

Unlikely. They'll just expect people to get a USB to USB-C adaptor or for you to use the generic AC port at the seat.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:52 am

Programs: *G
You seem like a very angry person. You oohed and aahed over a motherboard, I pointed out how boards are getting much smaller nowadays.

The only pissing match is the one in your mind. Calling your fellow board members zealots for sharing information is a bit over the top, don't you think?

This forum has been very liberal for many, many years, and not everything we discuss has to do with airplanes. A lot of us spent 100's of nights a year in hotels, and any gear that can help us is a welcome thing to discuss.
Not at all angry, but rather amused.

"Sharing" information about something irrelevant - a low powered limited functionality unit 1/3rd of a working system - is simply adding noise.

How does this dongle help someone work on an airplane, a train, a shop, a remote desk, in public? Or basically all the environments where laptops are used?

How useful is this dialogue:
"The new dedicated bed on Lufthansa 744 is really comfortable for sleep"
"Actually its nothing at all compared to a king-sized pillow-top Hastens"
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:47 am

I wasn't paying much attention to the new Macbook until I saw this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=KHZ8ek-6ccc
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by Need
I wasn't paying much attention to the new Macbook until I saw this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=KHZ8ek-6ccc

That's the funniest thing I'll see all day, I'm pretty sure.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not at all angry, but rather amused.

"Sharing" information about something irrelevant - a low powered limited functionality unit 1/3rd of a working system - is simply adding noise.

How does this dongle help someone work on an airplane, a train, a shop, a remote desk, in public? Or basically all the environments where laptops are used?
You seem to continuously ignore what I'm posting. I never said that this product will help people. I said the motherboard is an example of miniaturzation of computers. Stop trying to argue about something I never said. I didn't bring up specs, I didn't bring up power or functions. You brought up size, I showed a similar small device. Quit arguing with me and move on.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
None of this banter is going to matter if Apple hasn't fixed their WiFi problems. (As I spent 20 minutes this morning trying to get my MBP to connect to the network.)

Comparing the size of the MP's board to a mobile phone is kinda pointless, they're totally different environments. The new Galaxy S6 has a faster processor than either the iPhone or the new Macbook, what does that matter? It doesn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.