Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

The new 12inch Macbook

The new 12inch Macbook

Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
The new 12inch Macbook

I love pretty much everything about the new Macbook and can't wait to get my hands on one. The 1299$ price is steep compared to what I was expecting (same as Air) but considering it's specs I think it is justifiable. I'm also thinking that at less than a kilo and with it's fanless design it has to be the best fully functional laptop on the market. What do you guys think?

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I'm thinking I'll stick my with $199 Chromebook.......
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Only one, so far proprietary, USB port is not enough. Looks pretty, but I'll pass. I do wish I held off for a few months to get the updated Macbook Pro though.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I'll give apple credit, they made some very cool upgrades on the air. New trackpad design, new keyboard design, fanless, cleverly designed battery, USB-C.

However, it just isn't enough horsepower for those of us who do software development. But I do look forward to seeing those updates on the mbp line.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
You will love leaving $79 adapter behind every time you need to give a presentation and forget the dongle.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Well if you do software development, why would you even look at a 12" laptop? It's sort of like asking why Apple makes a Pro desktop machine when you need to have something that you can take with you on the plane. Two different things.

In terms of one USB connection, they do have an adaptor for it. The sacrifice you make for thinner and lighter I guess.

In terms of a $200 laptop, I'll stick with something that actually works when it's not online, has a screen that doesn't suck, keyboard that doesn't suck, battery that doesn't suck, trackpad that doesn't suck, processor that doesn't suck, memory that doesn't suck, wireless that doesn't sucketc.

Pretty bold design by Apple. I think the only real thing that I'd miss would be the magnetic connector. That is handy.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
I'll be getting one (512GB model) as soon as I can.. I am on a 13" air at the moment and love it (I cycle to work over the summer).. It looks just insanely thin! Love the idea of fanless operation and a retina display.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chx1975
You will love leaving $79 adapter behind every time you need to give a presentation and forget the dongle.
And that $79 dongle only gives you one (!) usb port, a video out port, and another USB-C port... to attach another $79 adaptor or a USB hub. Start adding in all these peripherals and it suddenly becomes not so cheap. I'd consider an Air over the MacBook. I hate that my Pro has only two USB, three to four is the appropriate amount.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Interesting specs. I'm surprised how it seems to conflict/compete with the MacBook Air line. Apple is a company with such strong product line definition I'm surprised to see that. While the Retina certainly is nice I think I'm happier overall with the tradeoffs in the 13" Air. My own Air is over 3 years old and will need replacing soon....
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by WIRunner
And that $79 dongle only gives you one (!) usb port, a video out port, and another USB-C port... to attach another $79 adaptor or a USB hub. Start adding in all these peripherals and it suddenly becomes not so cheap. I'd consider an Air over the MacBook. I hate that my Pro has only two USB, three to four is the appropriate amount.
+1

I use 24" hdmi display, would prefer to use ethernet instead of wifi, the have external keyboard, usb mouse, iphone, external back ups for my Windows and Mac (2).

Great looking, good specs and I was going to order to replace my 13" MB Air. But I hate my Thunderbolt and only 2 USB's. Not enough as it is- going to 1 (including the charging) is a no go for me.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by ou81two
wireless that doesn't sucketc.

This made me laugh. My (and judging from the apple support community, a lot of other people's) wireless has been borked since Yosemite was released.

I like the new Macbook design. My main gripe is that there is only 1 usb-c connector, a second port would have allowed much more flexibility.

If the Core-M is as slow under OSX as it seems to be under Windows then I'll probably hold off until next year for an Air with a usb-c port. (There should be peripherals that use it by then)
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
It's a great looking device, but the lack of ports is concerning. I wish Apple were less obsessed with thinness and left enough space for a couple more USB ports.

I do like the move to USB-C (and I look forward to them being standard on everything) but a second one wouldn't have killed them.

Last edited by SRQ Guy; Mar 10, 2015 at 8:42 am
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
I recently picked up the new bezel-less Dell XPS 13 and I'll take it over the new MacBook any day.

I was sitting next to a woman on a plane yesterday and she had a 13" MBA. It was crazy how much smaller my XPS was than her MBA even though they're the same screen size.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by JClishe
I recently picked up the new bezel-less Dell XPS 13 and I'll take it over the new MacBook any day.

I was sitting next to a woman on a plane yesterday and she had a 13" MBA. It was crazy how much smaller my XPS was than her MBA even though they're the same screen size.
Hence the 12inch Mac. I think the Air is being phased out, but they made a decision not to kill it immediately. Notice that it didn't get the force-touch trackpad.

I think the Airs get killed when iPad Pro comes out and that Apple know that the 12 inch is a bit of an experiment. I'm curious about the power supply. Is it an iPad style charger? If so, someone will do a third party charge with the I/O in the brick. I have to say that I liked my magnetic power connector and how it has saved my Mac from nearby klutzes.

I see the point of USB C but am questioning whether Lightening cables have been struck by a bolt from Strasbourg and that Apple has started the migration to the USB killing all my iPhone accessories once again.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I think the Airs get killed when iPad Pro comes out
As far as I'm concerned the iPad Pro is dead on arrival until and unless iOS gets some new features, namely "real" side by side multitasking like Windows 8 apps. A larger iPad with the current iOS is pointless IMO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.