Wiki Posts
Search

The new 12inch Macbook

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by skofarrell
Huh? Who's going to do video production work on an 8gb laptop with a 256/512gb drive and a 1.2ghz core m processor?
A youtuber?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by WIRunner
A youtuber?
You wont have any problems working on gopro videos on a Macbook.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chx1975
You never know. Some people replaced their laptops with an iPad and had the gall to argued that laptops are done just because they managed to do so. I swear I saw a thread like that even on this forum not long ago.
Laptops are of course far from done, but using a tablet device as a laptop replacement isn't all that bad if you can use the tablet device effectively as an input device to work on a remotely set up and reliably connected workstation.

I am more of a fan of paying for higher end desktops than for higher end laptops, which is part of the reason I don't go for Apple's higher priced laptops at the upper end. As a netbook replacement, I'd be game for some Apple laptops when the price is right enough for me.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: *G
Anandtech's review is in. By far more comprehensive than any other website.

http://anandtech.com/show/9136/the-2015-macbook-review

Also, mine's been delivered.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Internaut
It's an awful lot of compromise, for the money.
Exactly. And the MBP is supposed to be a no-compromises power machine.

I don't understand what they were thinking. If they had made it an AirPower (a Power version of the Air), then fine. But *replacing* the MBP with an Air on steroids doesn't make sense.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by ou81two
Well if you do software development, why would you even look at a 12" laptop?
...because you want something light and portable? There were, in the Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge generations, a lot of decent full-power (if dual core) 12.5" machines on the PC side.

For that matter, Sony managed to get a full power quad core into a 13" chassis on two generations of Vaio Z.

(That said, an awful lot of software development is done in the cloud these days, and for many of my colleagues -- although not me, personally -- the need for something that can do processor-intensive build and test locally is a lot less than it used to be.)

In terms of a $200 laptop, I'll stick with something that actually works when it's not online, has a screen that doesn't suck, keyboard that doesn't suck, battery that doesn't suck, trackpad that doesn't suck, processor that doesn't suck, memory that doesn't suck, wireless that doesn't sucketc.
Not sure what's wrong with the wireless on the Chromebook, the battery life is generally pretty good, and with this Macbook, it's going to come under the same heading of "really slow processor" -- it uses the Y-series ones for tablets. Bleh.

Now, the Chromebook Pixel, that's a very attractive machine.

Originally Posted by JClishe
It's entirely not ergonomically corrent to have to move your hands around that much to get things done. Notice Microsoft's lack of market success with this concept? It's really not that innovative. It wouldn't solve anything.
Spoken exactly like someone that hasn't spent real-world time with a touchscreen laptop.
I've had a touchscreen laptop for 15 months, and am with the prior poster; I've found it useful a handful of times when I've been standing away from the machine and using it (but not an external monitor) to show something to someone.

The rest of the time, the best I can say is it doesn't get in the way.

The Dell is .0.08" thicker (in other words, not noticeable in real world usage) and roughly .75 lbs heavier (barely noticeable). IMO that's a no brainier trade off for a screen that's an inch larger with higher resolution.
.75lb heavier is 1/3 heavier. In absolute weight, that's still nothing (says the guy who carries around 11 lbs of personal laptop + work laptop when in transit) but in relative terms that is hugely heavier -- it's like going from a 4.5lb laptop to a 6lb -- definitely a proportional difference most folks would notice.

Originally Posted by deniah
Unclear why zealots come into a thread about a Macbook and turn it into a pissing match?
Because the Apple fans do it in pretty much all of the non-Apple tech threads?

Originally Posted by deniah
depends on how old your MBP is this new one might very well be faster
Would have to be back to about 2009 or early 2010 to be slower... (Pro, not Air.)

Originally Posted by pilotalan
I don't understand what they were thinking. If they had made it an AirPower (a Power version of the Air), then fine. But *replacing* the MBP with an Air on steroids doesn't make sense.
They still have the 13" Pro, and the new generation is 13" MBP is IMO a much more attractive option than the new Macbook.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:34 am

[QUOTE=nkedel;24667270]
Because the Apple fans do it in pretty much all of the non-Apple tech threads?
/QUOTE]

That's an "interesting", yet, very telling response.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:39 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Still none available in the UK to play with
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:31 pm

I bought it. Mainly because it is so damn portable -- much more so than my 4 year old MacBook Pro 15". The screen is fantastic. I am not a gamer or video editor, so this is honestly the perfect computer for me.

Here is my take on it: http://singleflyer.com/2015/04/19/ne...l-size-laptop/
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alphaod
I was almost set on getting the new MacBook, but I saw the new Dell XPS 13 in the Microsoft Store this morning. Damn it's a fine looking at laptop and it's the same price!

A friend of mine ordered two because he couldn't decide on color (and I told him I want the second one). I'm seriously reconsidering my choice now. We might both end up getting the Dell.
does this run the latest version of mac software? or is it still stuck in win 8 & BOB. remember bob???

i am an old man, and could not even open up win 8, and i been around since before dos 1.0
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I bought it. Mainly because it is so damn portable -- much more so than my 4 year old MacBook Pro 15". The screen is fantastic. I am not a gamer or video editor, so this is honestly the perfect computer for me.

Thanks for the review. I used to have an employer owned MacBook Air that I used for everything, but was great for travel. Now that I am in consulting mode, I find my personal 15" macbook pro a little cumbersome for travel--in fact its my "desktop." I may get one of these when I have enough business travel to warrant.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer

From your review:

If they wanted to add another USB port, they would need to make the computer bigger.
I wish people would stop saying this, because it just isn't true. This was a esthetical design choice, nothing else. Apple could have easily adding MicroSD, MicroHDMI or a second USB C. Instead, someone (most likely Ive) decided he wanted something with as few interruptions in the slick exterior as possible, and went with a single port.

Like you said; you RARELY use USB drives any more. But that one time you are in a meeting room and need to put a Powerpoint on your 1-port laptop, you'll regret it.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
Like you said; you RARELY use USB drives any more. But that one time you are in a meeting room and need to put a Powerpoint on your 1-port laptop, you'll regret it.
If you buy this macbook and you're in the powerpoint bidness, you'll buy the vga dongle (solving the power problem) and the USB-C to USB dongle too.

Or you'll use box.com, icloud, dropbox, email, air drop, etc.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by skofarrell
Or you'll use box.com, icloud, dropbox, email, air drop, etc.
That's not optimal when you're getting ready to plug your laptop into the podium and your partner says "Oh I updated my slides and put them on this thumb drive for you."
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not optimal when you're getting ready to plug your laptop into the podium and your partner says "Oh I updated my slides and put them on this thumb drive for you."
Hence, the reason for this $19 saviour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.