Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new 12inch Macbook

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by boberonicus
I've never priced cables for a Surface, but I'll bet they're cheaper than any Apple cables.
The Surface has a full sized USB port and mini DisplayPort, so any standard display dongle from Amazon will work just fine.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Projecting powerpoints? No. Connecting my computer to the TV to share family photos, videos, mirror my screen, tradeshow powerpoint display... yes. Powerusers and "mainstream" users use their devices differently. I would even suggest that a mainstream user may be more likely to notice the missing HDMI port than a power user.
Apple TV? Chromecast? Miracast for the Windows guys?

So people like wires running across the family room?

Last edited by skofarrell; Apr 28, 2015 at 8:25 pm
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JClishe
The Surface has a full sized USB port and mini DisplayPort, so any standard display dongle from Amazon will work just fine.
So, what? $40? So the complaint is springing for the extra $30?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by skofarrell

Some people actually have jobs where they regularly go to client sites and project things, you know. If you're mostly internal or working your own setups at trade shows or a home user, those are very different use cases from having to go to clients every week and using their setups. The vast majority of my corporate clients are Microsoft shops, so it's rare to see anything Apple-compatible and you would need all those dongles and adapters if you're using a Mac.

I really don't see what kind of distinction WIRunner is making when he refers to "power users" vs. "mainstream users."
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Some people actually have jobs where they regularly go to client sites and project things, you know. If you're mostly internal or working your own setups at trade shows or a home user, those are very different use cases from having to go to clients every week and using their setups. The vast majority of my corporate clients are Microsoft shops, so it's rare to see anything Apple-compatible and you would need all those dongles and adapters if you're using a Mac.
You don't need "all those dongles". You pretty much need one. A VGA one, since its rare to see HDMI in those client conference rooms. Or at the corporate desktop space if you choose to forgo using your retina display for the 3+ year old monitor that's sitting on the desktop that you're taking over while visiting.

And those people that have these jobs that need to project things have no issues paying an extra $79 for a VGA (or HDMI) dongle.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
You don't need "all those dongles". You pretty much need one. A VGA one, since its rare to see an HDMI adapter in those conference rooms or at the corporate desktop space if you choose to forgo using your retina display for the 3+ year old monitor that sitting on the desktop.

And those people that have these jobs that need to project things have no issues paying an extra $79 for a VGA (or HDMI) dongle.
The projectors at my work support direct USB connection. Of course, the driver's Windows only.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

When you're at a tradeshow and don't want to deal with interference and want the fastest setup, a wire is the quickest. Being somewhere "foreign" and trying to get it setup can be more hassle than its worth.

You give loads of good examples, but for some just having an HDMI cable is the easiest, and most reliable. I get the use of wireless, I cast Youtube videos from Chrome to our Roku, and I've got a Chromecast, and Firestick, and we've got an AppleTV, but really if I want to do something fast, cable wins 10/10.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you're at a tradeshow and don't want to deal with interference and want the fastest setup, a wire is the quickest. Being somewhere "foreign" and trying to get it setup can be more hassle than its worth.

You give loads of good examples, but for some just having an HDMI cable is the easiest, and most reliable. I get the use of wireless, I cast Youtube videos from Chrome to our Roku, and I've got a Chromecast, and Firestick, and we've got an AppleTV, but really if I want to do something fast, cable wins 10/10.
I totally agree. So having that small dongle handy (with or without the cable) for the few times you actually need it isn't a big deal, right?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I totally agree. So carrying that small dongle with the cable isn't a big deal, right?
Cable is with the TV; the rest have one hidden. Needing a dongle is just one more thing to lose. (And considering how many ethernet dongles I lost, it will get expensive.)
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cable is with the TV; the rest have one hidden. Needing a dongle is just one more thing to lose. (And considering how many ethernet dongles I lost, it will get expensive.)
So we are back home again? I thought we were at a Shanghai trade show?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So we are back home again? I thought we were at a Shanghai trade show?
We keep the hdmi cable with the tv box. My point stands, it is an extra thing to lose, which i likely will.

I get it, you find no faults with it. But if anything it will be an inconvenience to need to use a dongle to connect to anything else. I can't envision owning a system which doesn't allow me to at least charge a mobile phone and the system without needing intermediate accessories.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
So, what? $40? So the complaint is springing for the extra $30?
Mini-displayport to HDMI is more like $3, or $9 if you want free Prime shipping.. Or $6.78 on monoprice.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:22 am

Programs: *G
first impressions:
-love how the upsized keyboard fills up the chassis.
-wish the bezel was as thin as XPS13 but it'll do.
-display quality is fantastic (as expected).
-reduced-travel keyboard takes 0 adjusting to... can touchtype just as efficiently as before.
-tiny power adapter is great. miniaturized in-line usb-A to usb-C would be cool but no big deal.
-no crying over single usb port... its the smallest of problems
-zero noticeable performance diff so far (for my usage pattern)
-touchpad feels exactly the same as physical touchpad...(prefer touch-click anyway)
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We keep the hdmi cable with the tv box. My point stands, it is an extra thing to lose, which i likely will.

I get it, you find no faults with it. But if anything it will be an inconvenience to need to use a dongle to connect to anything else. I can't envision owning a system which doesn't allow me to at least charge a mobile phone and the system without needing intermediate accessories.
Didn't say where weren't faults. They should have shipped the USBC to USB in the box. They should have made a 2 port USBC dongle available on day one (doesn't exist yet, except from China). Their USBC VGA adapter is "Apple Watch backordered" (4+ weeks).

All I'm saying is that this product isn't aimed at the business market, and trying to shoehorn it in to that market is a mistake. If you want ports, get the Macbook Pro.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deniah
first impressions:
-love how the upsized keyboard fills up the chassis.
-wish the bezel was as thin as XPS13 but it'll do.
-display quality is fantastic (as expected).
-reduced-travel keyboard takes 0 adjusting to... can touchtype just as efficiently as before.
-tiny power adapter is great. miniaturized in-line usb-A to usb-C would be cool but no big deal.
-no crying over single usb port... its the smallest of problems
-zero noticeable performance diff so far (for my usage pattern)
-touchpad feels exactly the same as physical touchpad...(prefer touch-click anyway)
Agree on all points. Love the weight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.