Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new 12inch Macbook

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I just looked at one of these yesterday at the Apple Store. it's nice and thin, but the lack of ports is really a downside. We also played with a Yoga 3 at the Microsoft Store, a Windows machine that weighs just a half pound more, seems just as thin, has a larger screen and multiple USB ports, has more storage, and is cheaper. I think that's what my wife wants to replace her laptop, though she had been interested in the Macbook.

I have been trying to convince her to try the Macbook because she's a happy iPhone user.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
I just looked at one of these yesterday at the Apple Store. it's nice and thin, but the lack of ports is really a downside. We also played with a Yoga 3 at the Microsoft Store, a Windows machine that weighs just a half pound more, seems just as thin, has a larger screen and multiple USB ports, has more storage, and is cheaper. I think that's what my wife wants to replace her laptop, though she had been interested in the Macbook.

I have been trying to convince her to try the Macbook because she's a happy iPhone user.
The Yoga 3 Pro is a gorgeous machine, but has the same Core M as the Macbook - which means it'll choke on anything heavy you throw at it. But for normal day to day work, it really is an amazing device.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
The Yoga 3 Pro is a gorgeous machine, but has the same Core M as the Macbook - which means it'll choke on anything heavy you throw at it. But for normal day to day work, it really is an amazing device.
It will be for my wife's work laptop. Basically it's just a machine that she uses to VPN into her firm's network. All of the heavy lifting is done on the office side.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
It will be for my wife's work laptop. Basically it's just a machine that she uses to VPN into her firm's network. All of the heavy lifting is done on the office side.
Not much down side for that; I'm also very pleasantly surprised for the configs on Lenovo's own site that they're all 8GB. I'm not sure if there are any 4GB ones out there in retail channels, but for Windows these days I'd avoid anything with less than 8.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Mine came in last week. I've taken it on two business trips so far. It replaced a 2012 11" Air.

The screen is far better. The performance is about the same. I'm happy with the keyboard.

I'm real happy with the smaller footprint, the battery life, and the small but noticeable reduction in weight.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by dulcamara
Mine came in last week. I've taken it on two business trips so far. It replaced a 2012 11" Air.

The screen is far better. The performance is about the same. I'm happy with the keyboard.

I'm real happy with the smaller footprint, the battery life, and the small but noticeable reduction in weight.
I presume you are referring to a MacBook and not a Yoga.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:40 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by dulcamara

the only performance peeve i have is youtube sometimes stuttering on 1080p videos. i'd have to tone it down to 720p and even that occasionally hestiates. something that never happened with the air.

youtube is running on html5 with chrome

other than that, have not noticed a performance fault
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deniah
the only performance peeve i have is youtube sometimes stuttering on 1080p videos. i'd have to tone it down to 720p and even that occasionally hestiates. something that never happened with the air.

That's a pretty serious performance issue for a $1200 machine.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Like SRQ Guy said - that is a pretty bad bit of performance for a 2015 machine. I know the Core M is pretty toned down, but didn't realize it was that bad.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

That's a pretty serious performance issue for a $1200 machine.
Originally Posted by ScottC
Like SRQ Guy said - that is a pretty bad bit of performance for a 2015 machine. I know the Core M is pretty toned down, but didn't realize it was that bad.
Yeah, that's an understatement. A chromebook is capable of doing 1080p without much issue. Sure it can't do a whole lot of other things, but...
Old Jun 19, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Yeah, that's an understatement. A chromebook is capable of doing 1080p without much issue. Sure it can't do a whole lot of other things, but...
My Nexus 6 can do 1440p without dropping a frame...
Old Jun 19, 2015, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if it's a choice-of-browser issue?
Old Jun 19, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nkedel
This. I'm currently using Chrome because of a nasty kernel panic issue with Safari and the El Capitan developer preview on my late 2013 13" rMBP and it definitely makes my system work a lot harder. Even YouTube videos with the HTML5 player cause the fan to spin up to near maximum sometimes. I can easily see it being a lot worse on the MacBook.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 3:31 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by nkedel
Havent tried safari or firefox. Im thinking and hoping its something thats correctable via code either in chrome or osx update.

The machine will play 1080p in standalone player all day long. The occasional trouble is with a video rendered inside a browser - which im not is not what nexus 6 is doing
Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Havent tried safari or firefox. Im thinking and hoping its something thats correctable via code either in chrome or osx update.
Safari's already preinstalled, right? If so, you might give that a try. Chrome and Firefox both have video support issues on PC (slightly different ones), and it sounds like Chrome on MacOS may have some of its own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.