Reload this Page >

The new 12inch Macbook

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new 12inch Macbook

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:48 pm

I like the size of the laptop. i do not like other laptops.
mac book is my favorite and want to purchase new mac book whenever it comes.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:57 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ScottC
By the time that Kickstarter actually releases a product, there will be plenty of other options. Amazon already has a good assortment of USB-C devices:

http://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Aerb-...ords=usb+c+hub

Check the other options on that page.
different form factor though

the flush-fit nature of this one is the main appeal
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deniah
different form factor though

the flush-fit nature of this one is the main appeal
I guess.

But there are people who prefer function over form, and won't want to wait for another delayed Kickstarter, especially when there will be options that are available now for a fraction of the price.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:48 pm
Suspended

I guess.

But there are people who prefer function over form, and won't want to wait for another delayed Kickstarter, especially when there will be options that are available now for a fraction of the price.
Some people prefer form AND function, which is why Apple products sell so well. Your distaste with some other kickstarter project shouldn't cloud your opinion of this one. I have funded several, and not been disappointed with any of them.

That thing in your Amazon link is HUGE!!! No way I would ever buy that.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tiltingatwindmills
Some people prefer form AND function,
I agree with this. Juiced Systems made a form fitted hub for the Surface (
Amazon Amazon
) and I absolutely loved the convenience of it. I don't own a 12" Macbook but if I did, I would buy that form fitted hub in a heartbeat based on my experience with the Surface one.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tiltingatwindmills
Your distaste with some other kickstarter project shouldn't cloud your opinion of this one.
My distaste with Kickstarter projects comes from my experience with them. Of the roughly 45 projects I've backed, only 3 shipped on time. One is 2 years late (and may never appear), and most are at least a year past their promised delivery date. Take for example the Finsix Dart - definitely form over function, was promised to ship November 2014, and right now doesn't even remotely have any chance of coming soon.

Again - my links were merely a way to get your hands on something NOW. It doesn't stop anyone from pre-ordering this Kickstarter, I just wouldn't WAIT on it and deal with the lousy single port on the device.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
My distaste with Kickstarter projects comes from my experience with them. Of the roughly 45 projects I've backed, only 3 shipped on time. One is 2 years late (and may never appear), and most are at least a year past their promised delivery date. Take for example the Finsix Dart - definitely form over function, was promised to ship November 2014, and right now doesn't even remotely have any chance of coming soon.

Again - my links were merely a way to get your hands on something NOW. It doesn't stop anyone from pre-ordering this Kickstarter, I just wouldn't WAIT on it and deal with the lousy single port on the device.
Reminds me of that one time I backed something and Chinese knockoffs for a tenth of the price literally came out before the product I backed. Other than that I haven't had any real problems with Kickstarters other than delays.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I knew this thing was not that fast, but the fact that an iPhone is capable of winning in a speed test. Crazy.

http://bgr.com/2015/09/22/iphone-6s-...amera-samples/
Old Sep 22, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: WN A-List
I'm waiting for the Skylake CPU upgrade to the retina Macbook and I'll evaluate buying one at that time. I have a 2011 13" Macbook Air that still works great but have wanted the Air's portability with a retina screen.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by deniah
Unfortunately the xray rules seem to be quite ad hoc based on airport and especially security staff.

Many places still require "all laptops, ipads, tablets out"

Annoyingly, ive had a few instances of staff demanding extrication of my camera from its bag, and afterwards, even each lens separately !!!! (This was in priority lanes, too)
I don't know what country in which you travel, but I've probably gone through security 500 times in airports in the US, Canada, the Middle East, Caribbean and Europe and I've never had to take an iPad out of my bag...ever.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by ou81two
I don't know what country in which you travel, but I've probably gone through security 500 times in airports in the US, Canada, the Middle East, Caribbean and Europe and I've never had to take an iPad out of my bag...ever.
I've only been specifically asked to do it once, connecting through Heathrow (US somewhere->LHR->MAD connecting AA->BA)

Oddly, when I flew back via Heathrow (MAD->LHR->HKG, all on BA) less than 48 hours later, they didn't make me take my tablet out. Can't remember whether these were in the same terminal both times.

Late 2012, FWIW.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
I knew this thing was not that fast, but the fact that an iPhone is capable of winning in a speed test. Crazy.

Stop, these speed tests are nonsense, they stress the devices to a max that no common user would ever do. For typical usage like browsing, media, spreadsheets, word processing, movies, etc. any current-gen Apple iOS or desktop device will perform brilliantly.

Which brings me to my beloved Retina MacBook which runs Windows 10 better and faster than any of my native Windows machines ever did. Couldn't be happier. It's the ultimate travel accessory.

BJ
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
Asia. In Singapore the trays have a designated spot for tablets. Have been asked every single time I've flown out of Singapore, the major Indonesian, Indian airports along with many others like BKK, ICN and PEK just to name a few.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:31 pm

I'm actually stunned that you "never had to take the iPad out of the bag" in Europe. On all of my flights in the last years (which probably also sum up to about 500, mostly Scandinavia, Western and Central Easter Europe) I had to remove phones, computer and iPad from the bag. In Austria and Poland often enough even all cables and chargers.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by boltjames

Stop, these speed tests are nonsense, they stress the devices to a max that no common user would ever do. For typical usage like browsing, media, spreadsheets, word processing, movies, etc. any current-gen Apple iOS or desktop device will perform brilliantly.

Which brings me to my beloved Retina MacBook which runs Windows 10 better and faster than any of my native Windows machines ever did. Couldn't be happier. It's the ultimate travel accessory.

BJ
Thought that is true, but when a mobile device is able to outperform a traditional system, that speaks volumes for both. The vast majority of users would be just fine using Chromebooks as well, but Windows and OS X systems still seem to be selling just fine.

For some users the raw speed is important, the single core tests are used in regular usage, and a high test score there speaks volumes on how "fast" a system is going to feel, and how quickly it will launch apps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.