Wiki Posts
Search

The new 12inch Macbook

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Google introduced a new Pixel Chromebook today (and it did USB-C right with a port on each side) and with it, a whole bunch of inexpensive USB-C accessories... it really shows how out of touch Apple is.

$12.99 USB-C to USB-A - https://store.google.com/product/usb...dard_a_adapter
I have to think that with the Pixel's two USB-C ports (and the two USB-A ports) and the timing of the Google announcement that Google had some inside info on the new Macbook.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: *G
absolutely cannot wait for this.

a tiny machine to take on the road with the resolution to handle photo post processing.....yum

the single port is annoying, however
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
I have to think that with the Pixel's two USB-C ports (and the two USB-A ports) and the timing of the Google announcement that Google had some inside info on the new Macbook.
Apple engineers were using Chrome and GMail to communicate. Google was clearly data mining.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by ou81two
From Macworld...

Its spec sheet says that the MacBook comes with “native DisplayPort 1.2 output,” which will support 4K (3840x2160 pixels in dual monitor or mirroring modes),
It's a shame that you quoted me without reading what I wrote. I said that the adaptor only supports display mirroring, not dual display:

The USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter lets you connect your MacBook with USB-C port to an HDMI display, while also connecting a standard USB device and a USB-C charging cable.

This adapter allows you to mirror your MacBook display to your HDMI-enabled TV or display in up to 1080p HD.
That's straight from Apple. No mention of dual display.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by Internaut
Does this mean Thunderbolt is long-term dead?
Thunderbolt is of little use as a power source. But it's probably long-term dead for other reasons. It's just too expensive.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I have been waiting on this as a possible replacement for my Asus VivoTab and 13" Macbook Retina, but I think I will pass. I can't be forced to choose between power and video-out without letting a hydra monster growing out of the side of the case and I actually find I use the SDHC slot on my Macbook Retina a lot.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by antirealist
It's a shame that you quoted me without reading what I wrote. I said that the adaptor only supports display mirroring, not dual display:

That's straight from Apple. No mention of dual display.

Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by deniah
absolutely cannot wait for this.

a tiny machine to take on the road with the resolution to handle photo post processing.....yum

the single port is annoying, however
That's exactly why I bought the new Dell XPS 13. Similar overall dimensions as the new 12" Macbook yet 1" larger screen thanks to the bezel-less display, better resolution then the Macbook, and more ports. Yummy indeed.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...ctID.312471000
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by RCyyz
I think it's odd there's only one USB-C port on the new MacBook. Eventually USB-C hubs will be readily available but for now I think that Apple should have at least built another USB-C and another USB-A into the dongle.

Other than that, based on specs alone the new MacBook looks interesting to me.
Agreed, its odd that there isn't at least a second port to use when operating the laptop on AC power.

Google introduced a new Pixel Chromebook today (and it did USB-C right with a port on each side) and with it, a whole bunch of inexpensive USB-C accessories... it really shows how out of touch Apple is.

It looks like you will be able to use the google usb-C accessories on the MacBook. I wonder if you can charge faster with its 60W power supply rather than apple's 29W charger.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by JClishe
That's exactly why I bought the new Dell XPS 13. Similar overall dimensions as the new 12" Macbook yet 1" larger screen thanks to the bezel-less display, better resolution then the Macbook, and more ports. Yummy indeed.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...ctID.312471000
thicker, heavier, but make it run OSX and it might be worth something
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:35 am

Apple's version is 19$. 6$ wont put anyone in the poor house.

Their multi-port is 79$. To get same HDMI+USB-A functionality you'd need 40+13$ from Google and have to carry 2 cables, and you lose the extra usb-C slot (offset with that from the laptop)

Apple charging combo is 80$ with detachable cable. Google charger is 60$ with permanent cable, so you lose the modularity.

Not comparing like-for-like there.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
It's a shame that you also quoted me without reading what I wrote. Once again, I said that the adaptor only supports display mirroring, not dual display:

The USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adaptor lets you connect your MacBook with USB-C port to an HDMI display, while also connecting a standard USB device and a USB-C charging cable.

This adapter allows you to mirror your MacBook display to your HDMI-enabled TV or display in up to 1080p HD.
Get it now? Connect the monitor directly to the port, and you will get dual display; use the adaptor and you only get mirroring.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by antirealist
It's a shame that you also quoted me without reading what I wrote. Once again, I said that the adaptor only supports display mirroring, not dual display:

Get it now? Connect the monitor directly to the port, and you will get dual display; use the adaptor and you only get mirroring.
it doesn't stand to reason.

the connector type only has bandwidth limitation (e.g. dvi single vs dual-link). whether or not it can drive discrete displays is a function of hardware on the laptop.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
I'm thinking I'll stick my with $199 Chromebook.......
YGWYPF

You could also get a Netbook and that would cost less too. You could get a cheap Lenovo cråpped up with bloatware that compromises your security too.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
thicker, heavier, but make it run OSX and it might be worth something
The Dell is .0.08" thicker (in other words, not noticeable in real world usage) and roughly .75 lbs heavier (barely noticeable). IMO that's a no brainier trade off for a screen that's an inch larger with higher resolution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.