iphone 6 discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iphone 6 discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by wco81
If you're spending any length of time in New Zealand, you want a nice camera.

Probably nicer than any phone camera.

NZ along with Iceland are suppose to be among the most beautiful places in the world.
Good point. That said, I've happily relied on just my iPhone camera for extended travel in probably 20 countries over the last three years, and it's done quite fine for me. I'm not planning on selling any of my pictures to any calendar publishers...
Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
If you aren't doing a discounted plan for paying for your device in full, you're typically paying $20-$25 per month in device reimbursement - even after you've fully reimbursed your carrier for the up-front subsidy on your device.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be on that plan at all, but just recognize that once you are eligible for the $199 upgrade, any more months on that plan mean you are paying the carrier for a subsidy reimbursement even though you've already fully repaid them.

So when you say that you're surprised that people are lining up to pay such a high price, realize that paying that high price upfront means you don't have the potential to pay the carrier extra at the other end of the contract.
Right, but as I said, are you referring to the BYOD discount ($15/mo on smaller plans, $25/mo on larger plans)? If so, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I would need to give up my unlimited data plan and change to a Mobile Share plan in order to receive a BYOD discount.

If I can keep my current plan and somehow still receive the BYOD discount, then what you say makes sense in my case.

Further, in the case of AT&T, a new phone means a $36 activation fee if it's a subsidized phone. If you just pop your SIM in an unlocked, full price phone, this isn't an issue. Not sure what you do in your case without your SIM, but I suspect an AT&T store would give you a free SIM to replace your lost one.
I actually have my AT&T SIM, as I had put a local (Eircom/Meteor) SIM in the phone the day before it was stolen. Regardless, that's a non-issue, as AT&T corporate stores will happily give out a replacement SIM at no charge.

Originally Posted by TWA884
Why not call one of the stores closest to your home and inquire when they are expecting shipments? They probably won't hold a phone for you, however, if you stop by right after they receive a delivery, you may just be able to buy one.
I tried that; the direct numbers to each Apple Store actually transfer to a central call center. The information they have about availability mirrors what is shown on store.apple.com. There's no way (that I can tell) to get in touch with someone at the store itself short of driving over there and talking to someone--which still isn't out of the question. I might try to pop in tomorrow morning and see or at least ask about upcoming shipments, what time they usually arrive, what time they typically start selling the devices, etc.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right - BYOD (I called it "paying for your device in full" since you could have gotten the device from the carrier).

I'm sure you know better than I would, but most people who are holding on to the unlimited data plan don't actually use more data than the standard plans allow these days. Plus, last I looked into it, the unlimited data grandfathered plans didn't allow tethering, which, for many of us, is an essential feature these days.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right - BYOD (I called it "paying for your device in full" since you could have gotten the device from the carrier).

I'm sure you know better than I would, but most people who are holding on to the unlimited data plan don't actually use more data than the standard plans allow these days. Plus, last I looked into it, the unlimited data grandfathered plans didn't allow tethering, which, for many of us, is an essential feature these days.
I don't doubt you're right, but I use 5GB+ each month. (Yes, it is throttled after the 5GB mark.) And you're right about tethering, although work pays for a Mifi, so I'm covered there.

I do appreciate you trying to bring some alternative ideas to light, though (and I'm mildly tempted by the idea of buying the VZW/TMO model, as it would be SIM-unlocked out of the gate, making it easier to travel with), but paying almost $1K for an unlocked device is a bit beyond what I'm willing to part with.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really wanted the T-Mobile plan, which has unlimited data in theory, but slow after a tier that you pay for. In this case, for you, 5 GB is $70/month. But then you get some free international roaming, which is slow, but could be nice. And tethering works AFAIK, on the US service.

Another important note here: you said you switched your SIM on your old phone. That won't work on a new subsidized one from AT&T for two years, and after two years, you'll still need their mysterious blessing.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Seems like the Straight Talk deal is better. Unlimited voice, text and 3 GB of LTE data (and throttled after) for $45 on AT&T or T-Mobile. $495 for the year.

I'm paying $59 for 2 GB of data Mobile Share on a BYOD plan with Premier discount. If I go over 2 GB, overage charges hit me.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If you can do without voice minutes (or use VOIP), T-Mobile/Wal-Mart has a plan with 100 minutes, unlimited texts, and 5GB of data for $30/mo.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Oct 13, 2014 at 5:56 pm
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really wanted the T-Mobile plan, which has unlimited data in theory, but slow after a tier that you pay for. In this case, for you, 5 GB is $70/month. But then you get some free international roaming, which is slow, but could be nice. And tethering works AFAIK, on the US service.
T-Mo won't work for me, domestically, at least. I travel very extensively by road across the US each year. T-Mo's coverage is not sufficient for me. Heck, their coverage map shows 2G both at home and in every place my family lives and that I visit each year, not to mention the roads in between those places.

Internationally, it would be nice to have data upon arrival in each country, but the throttled speeds would not be acceptable to me for anything more than a brief transit through the country. I would likely still end up purchasing a local SIM for faster speeds and the ability to tether, so the appeal of the free international roaming is limited.

Another important note here: you said you switched your SIM on your old phone. That won't work on a new subsidized one from AT&T for two years, and after two years, you'll still need their mysterious blessing.
I'm aware of that. A relative is upgrading to the 6, too, and I will be obtaining that person's old iPhone 5 for use as my international travel phone (since my unlocked iPhone 5 was stolen).

I do appreciate you trying to offer alternative solutions, but I'm pretty knowledgeable about the options available to me, and I have very specific reasons I want to purchase the specific model and carrier I mentioned at the subsidized, contract price. My question for the thread here was about availability of that specific model and how best to improve my chances of securing that specific model.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jackal
Good point. That said, I've happily relied on just my iPhone camera for extended travel in probably 20 countries over the last three years, and it's done quite fine for me. I'm not planning on selling any of my pictures to any calendar publishers...
I feel 100% the same way.

On another note, and somewhat related to this thread: is it to be expected this time next year we'll be seeing the iPhone 6S, and this time in 2 years we'll be seeing the 7?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pricesquire
I feel 100% the same way.

On another note, and somewhat related to this thread: is it to be expected this time next year we'll be seeing the iPhone 6S, and this time in 2 years we'll be seeing the 7?
If history is any guide.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:35 am

I don't doubt you're right, but I use 5GB+ each month. (Yes, it is throttled after the 5GB mark.) And you're right about tethering, although work pays for a Mifi, so I'm covered there.
It depends if you are on an individual plan or family plan, and if you are on an individual unlimited grandfathered plan, you are probably better off staying there. I had a family plan with unlimited data on all the devices, and I decided to switch over to Next and saved a ton of money. I had been watching my data usage and found out that my 5 lines only used about 7GB total a month. I was paying over $300 a month. I switched to the 10GB shared plan and it went down to under $200 a month. Now they have the special running that if you do the 15GB plan, you get 30GB. So I upped to it and only pay $30 more. It is not unlimited... but 5 lines sharing 30GB is more than I would ever use and I could tether on every single phone which is cool.

And as a bonus... I upgraded all the phones (with 2yr contract discount price) just before I switched over to the mobile share value plan. So I am still on contract... but I am not paying for any of the phone anymore. I think this is some kind of loophole.. but I am not complaining. I saved $1800 already for the next 2 years!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
It depends if you are on an individual plan or family plan, and if you are on an individual unlimited grandfathered plan, you are probably better off staying there. I had a family plan with unlimited data on all the devices, and I decided to switch over to Next and saved a ton of money. I had been watching my data usage and found out that my 5 lines only used about 7GB total a month. I was paying over $300 a month. I switched to the 10GB shared plan and it went down to under $200 a month. Now they have the special running that if you do the 15GB plan, you get 30GB. So I upped to it and only pay $30 more. It is not unlimited... but 5 lines sharing 30GB is more than I would ever use and I could tether on every single phone which is cool.

And as a bonus... I upgraded all the phones (with 2yr contract discount price) just before I switched over to the mobile share value plan. So I am still on contract... but I am not paying for any of the phone anymore. I think this is some kind of loophole.. but I am not complaining. I saved $1800 already for the next 2 years!
Hmm. You bring up a good point, actually. I'm indeed on a family plan, and 30GB is more than we would consume. I hate to give up the "unlimited" plan, just out of principle, but I'll have to look and see if it does save me a chunk of change. And if I can take advantage of that loophole, too...
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:46 am

Hmm. You bring up a good point, actually. I'm indeed on a family plan, and 30GB is more than we would consume. I hate to give up the "unlimited" plan, just out of principle, but I'll have to look and see if it does save me a chunk of change. And if I can take advantage of that loophole, too...
Oh trust me, it was really hard for me to give up the unlimited plan too. But the saving was just too attractive especially when I include the $20 or $25 family unlimited TXT per month that I don't have to pay anymore. The other thing is that most of the other lines (except for mine) don't do upgrade every 2 years.. so after 2 years of a new phone.. I was just paying AT&T extra for no reason at all. I didn't like that.. just out of principle LOL.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: UA, IHG Platinum, BW Diamond, Carlson Gold, Accor Platinum,
Originally Posted by Need

great tips here, thanks! is it really a loophole, or is it desgined that way to keep the customers ?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by deemkaa
great tips here, thanks! is it really a loophole, or is it desgined that way to keep the customers ?
I have no idea, but I told my coworker who is on the Verizon mobile plan to see if he could do the same trick switching to the cheaper per device version for edge plan pricing. He couldn't do it.. Verizon would not lower the per device charge if your line is still under contract.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.