iphone 6 discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:49 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I've never really paid attention to NFC but yesterday I was having trouble with my sapphire chip in a reader here in Austria. The cashier tried holding it up to the nfc symbol but of course nothing happened. I then went to my hotel and loaded 8.1 and the card into Apple pay. Definitely, will try it out today and see what happens.

Fdw
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CPRich
Who's the first?

My work iP6 showed up today, I upgraded to 8.1 and tried to load a card. Apparently my Fidelity-branded cash back cards through FIA are not supported.
AMEX, Chase, Bank of America, Capital One. Piece of cake.

The only one I couldn't load that I wanted to load was my Discover card. Those aren't supported, apparently. Yet.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by josephstern
I know it's available with the app, but I really like that Amex pushes charge info right to your phone once the cards are in Apple Pay.

I've got a few Amex online accounts and I can't be logged in to all of them. This way, I get most of my info.
Absolutely. I have multiple AMEX cards and all are loaded into the phone. When I use a card (well, when anyone uses it), I get an immediate notification of the merchant and the amount.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:13 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

No go on using apple pay and NFC today in Vienna. Not sure why as my German is pretty suspect outside of the word achtung.

Fdw
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:09 am
Suspended

Anyway to use Apple Pay without having to use a PIN/TouchID?

I know it's not exactly safe, but there's nothing more annoying to me than having to enter my pin 60 times per day....
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire

I know it's not exactly safe, but there's nothing more annoying to me than having to enter my pin 60 times per day....
Can you use Apple Pay with just PIN without Touch ID? If so, you could adjust the time to "Require Passcode" from minutes...up to hours of delay. You can only do it if you disable Touch ID. If Touch ID is enabled, it is locked to "immediate".
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Need
Can you use Apple Pay with just PIN without Touch ID? If so, you could adjust the time to "Require Passcode" from minutes...up to hours of delay. You can only do it if you disable Touch ID. If Touch ID is enabled, it is locked to "immediate".
Had no idea this was possible....

Thanks for the tip!

I shop at zero places that have Apple Pay, so not sure why I even want it..
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
No go on using apple pay and NFC today in Vienna. Not sure why as my German is pretty suspect outside of the word achtung.

Fdw
Did the iPhone even try? Did any interface pop up on your screen?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus

Everything I've read says ApplePay works with TouchID only.

Why do you have to enter your PIN 60 times if you use TouchID?

And I agree, allowing a credit card payment without requiring any type of authorization would be "not exactly safe". It would be a bad idea, IMHO.

(I do wish the TouchID could be used directly from the off state. Hitting the power button then using TouchID seems to be a waste of a step. Am I missing where that's available?

EDIT: Nevermind - just found I can push the TouchID button to turn it on and it reads my fingerprint at the same time. So one-touch, 1/2 second power/authentication)

I'm probably in the minority (as I have been with Treo, Palm, Blackberry...), but the iP6 is too big IMHO. With my 5, I could cradle it in one hand and my thumb could reach corner to corner.

With the 6, first of all, it's top heavy and feel like it's going to tip over the top of my hand. My thumb come up about 1/2" short of the top left and bottom left icons. My photos look nice, but I use it as a work tool, not for looking at pictures, watching movies, playing video games, etc. And it sticks out of a shirt pocket, unlike the 5.

But I'll suck it up, put some dummy icons in the corner, and make do.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Oct 23, 2014 at 2:16 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm probably in the minority (as I have been with Treo, Palm, Blackberry...), but the iP6 is too big IMHO. With my 5, I could cradle it in one hand and my thumb could reach corner to corner.

With the 6, first of all, it's top heavy and feel like it's going to tip over the top of my hand. My thumb come up about 1/2" short of the top left and bottom left icons. My photos look nice, but I use it as a work tool, not for looking at pictures, watching movies, playing video games, etc. And it sticks out of a shirt pocket, unlike the 5.

I agree that it's a little big for me, but I'm getting used to it.

For the top row, Reachability does the trick:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/09/a-look...phone-6-video/
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Apparently my Fidelity-branded cash back cards through FIA are not supported.
Same with my Discover card, corporate AmEx, and even my Citi AT&T Universal Card. Looks like I'm a big 0-for-ApplePay.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:51 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by josephstern
Did the iPhone even try? Did any interface pop up on your screen?
It did try. In fact passbook listed the transaction as going through but the clerk said it didn't. We tried twice and then gave up.

Fdw
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Same with my Discover card, corporate AmEx, and even my Citi AT&T Universal Card. Looks like I'm a big 0-for-ApplePay.
Discover card was never, at any time, announced as a partner of Apple Pay, so I don't know why this would be surprising to you or why you would count it in your statistics of determining whether you are a "big 0-for-ApplePay"

Regards
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:31 pm
Suspended

I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. I "like it"...but it's almost a detractor for me. I even considered switching phones w/ my sister (she wants the 6, I miss my 5S)

ps, when I was referring to having to unlock 60 times a day, I was referring to typing in a pin every time someone texted me.

Still no clue how to 'delay' that process by having the phone not require a password after X amount of time..
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
ps, when I was referring to having to unlock 60 times a day, I was referring to typing in a pin every time someone texted me.
With iOS 8, you can use Quick Reply to type your reply right from the lockscreen - no need to unlock and go into the Messages app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.