FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   iphone 6 discussion thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1604198-iphone-6-discussion-thread.html)

richard Aug 19, 2014 9:30 am

iphone 6 discussion thread

i thought it would be interesting to start a thread about it.

I'm using the 5S and very happy with it. I dumped my Samsung GN 2 onto my daughter awhile back and haven't looked back.

Android is awesome, so is Apple, but I wanted to discuss the launch of the new iPhone.

I will probably buy it a few months after it comes out, or maybe give my 5S to my wife and buy it, not sure. I *like* a smaller phone, so I'm happy with the form factor. The new iOS in beta has finally allowed third party keyboards which will be REALLY useful as the lack of that has been my one constant dislike of the 5S.

The other is iTunes which is horrible and wretched. The new iOS has better hooks for third party sharing which will be incredibly useful too...I'd like it to be easy to bring Dropbox audios into a player, for instance.

scubadu Aug 19, 2014 10:22 am

Originally Posted by richard (Post 23388450)
i thought it would be interesting to start a thread about it.

Actually, I'd enjoy having a discussion on this topic as well, but unfortunately...

Originally Posted by richard (Post 23388450)
Android is awesome, so is Apple, but I wanted to discuss the launch of the new iPhone.

this "disclaimer" won't be enough to keep the set boundaries on what direction the thread will ultimately take. For reasons that I'm unable to comprehend, there is a segment of folks in this forum for which the choice of mobile OS platforms is a borderline religious experience and has to be turned into an argument/bashing scenario without fail.

I'd love for this not to be the case in this thread but there is nothing, absolutely nothing, in this forum's recent history that gives me confidence that this thread won't very quickly devolve down a "Apple doesn't innovate anymore" or "Android has had that for 2 years" type thread.

But hey, here's hopin'

Regards

Bama87 Aug 19, 2014 10:40 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 23388751)
Actually, I'd enjoy having a discussion on this topic as well, but unfortunately...

this "disclaimer" won't be enough to keep the "Android Army" at bay. For reasons that I'm unable to comprehend, there is a segment of folks in this forum for which the choice of mobile OS platforms is a borderline religious experience and has to be turned into an argument/bashing scenario without fail.

I'd love for this not to be the case in this thread but there is nothing, absolutely nothing, in this forum's recent history that gives me confidence that this thread won't very quickly devolve down a "Apple doesn't innovate anymore" or "Android has had that for 2 years" type thread.

But hey, here's hopin'

Regards

You dont want it to go there, but yet you just bashed the "Android Army"..........

ScottC Aug 19, 2014 10:57 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 23388751)

this "disclaimer" won't be enough to keep the "Android Army" at bay. For reasons that I'm unable to comprehend, there is a segment of folks in this forum for which the choice of mobile OS platforms is a borderline religious experience and has to be turned into an argument/bashing scenario without fail.

But hey, here's hopin'

Regards

This is a joke, right?

SRQ Guy Aug 19, 2014 11:16 am

nevermind

DYKWIA Aug 19, 2014 11:25 am

The iPhone 6 hasn't been announced yet, has it?

scubadu Aug 19, 2014 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Bama87 (Post 23388854)
You dont want it to go there, but yet you just bashed the "Android Army"..........

Fair enough, you are absolutely right. Guilty as charged. I've modified my original post to neutralize the language. Obviously, others will see the original language in the quoted posted, but I acknowledge my bad and have edited my own post to address my mistake. That's about all I can do.

Unfortunately, whether folks like my language or not, the evidence in this forum for how these threads go, with or without my participation, is almost unequivocally damning. I'd challenge anyone to point to a recent iOS thread that hasn't gone downhill rather quickly.

My apologies to those whom I may have offended with the poor choice of wording, but at this point, it's up to others to choose the direction things go in this thread. There is every opportunity for me to be proven right or wrong...

Regards

scubadu Aug 19, 2014 11:32 am

Originally Posted by ScottC (Post 23388966)
This is a joke, right?

Yes ScottC, ya' got me. There is absolutely no evidence of iOS or Android threads going south quickly in this forum. Must have been my imagination...

Regards

SRQ Guy Aug 19, 2014 11:47 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 23389171)
Yes ScottC, ya' got me. There is absolutely no evidence of iOS or Android threads going south quickly in this forum. Must have been my imagination...

Regards

I think he was pointing out the irony of your "wish" combined with your chosen language. ;)

Need Aug 19, 2014 12:49 pm

Back to the topic...

I am currently using my Galaxy Note II for the 3rd year. I just cannot use a 3.5" or 4" phone. Now I am waiting for GN IV and iPhone 6 to be announce and see which way I would go. I am leaning toward iPhone 6 if it has a 5.5" version.

The biggest problem on the GN II for me was the forced OS updates. I don't want to root my phone and I was perfectly happy with order version of Android. But the carrier (AT&T) kept pushing out different updates.. some make my phone slower.. some drain battery faster.. and I don't want to spend hours doing a factory reset to try to fix it. I never had to do it on all the iOS products in the house. If I want to keep the iPhone or iPad in the same iOS version 2 years ago.. I could.

Oh the other hand, I could have XBMC installed on my Note II without rooting. It is nice to have the flexibility. But I think I am leaning toward stability more than flexibility at this point.

ig999 Aug 19, 2014 12:57 pm

Thank you Richard. Glad to hear someone else complaining about absence of Android keyboard 'suggestion' bar on iOS. When you do a lot of texting, typing 1-2 characters compared to typing whole word - is huge! 'Back' button on Samsung is very important for me as well.

boberonicus Aug 19, 2014 1:24 pm

Screen Size

I know I'm way behind the times, but I'm still happy with my iPhone 4S and its measly 3.5" screen. I AM looking forward to the release of the 6 for the battery life, NFC, 802.11ac, and better camera. And I think I'll be able to live with the "smaller" iPhone6 (4.7") but I just can't imagine moving to the larger, monster-sized 5.5".

Before you ask, no. I will not be standing in line!

Need Aug 19, 2014 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by boberonicus (Post 23389893)
I know I'm way behind the times, but I'm still happy with my iPhone 4S and its measly 3.5" screen. I AM looking forward to the release of the 6 for the battery life, NFC, 802.11ac, and better camera. And I think I'll be able to live with the "smaller" iPhone6 (4.7") but I just can't imaging moving to the larger, monster-sized 5.5".

Before you ask, no. I will not be standing in line!

When I got the Note II almost 3 years ago, EVERYONE around me (including my wife) said the my phone looks "ridiculously huge". Now it is just "big". It is kind of like TV size. I remember when 32" TV was huge. :p

Now when I ask my wife to check traffic while we are driving. Her device of preference is

1) Her iPad Mini
2) My Note II
3) Her iPhone 5s

The bigger screen just make it easier on the eyes. We are not getting any younger.

ScottC Aug 19, 2014 2:11 pm

I'll my best to ensure the resident Apple defender doesn't get upset :)

Yes - I'm a massive Android fan, but I was also one of the first to own an iPhone, and still always keep up to date with the latest version. While I still absolutely love everything about the iPhone, you can't ignore that it has become a little stale. Things you get on Android that should (or should not) make it into an iPhone 6:

Larger screen - it really is time for Apple to give up this battle. Walk around your local mall, and you'll see so many people with large devices. There is a market for them, and Apple needs to conquer it ASAP.

Wireless charging - again, the time has come to adopt this technology.

NFC - no real need for it. I've had it on phones for years, and can't find any really useful applications.

More storage - storage prices have come down, and nothing should stand in the way of offering a 128GB version for a lot less. I added a 128GB MicroSD card to my phone for just $110. I know Apple will never go the route of removable storage, but give people more for less.

Amazing battery - Apple has the cash to invent something amazing here. For once, I'd like a phone that puts battery life over thin form factor. Make a phone that lasts a week (a real week, not a week without anything turned on), and I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Something WOW - again, I am one of those people who claims Apple has stopped (or slowed) innovating. Nothing amazing has come out of their labs for years. What was once an Apple-only innovation is now commonplace (Retina displays anyone?). LG has infrared lasers for camera auto focus, Samsung went waterproof - Apple needs something that makes us go "holy crap that is awesome".

No matter what the iPhone 6 brings, I'll buy one, and I haven't missed a release yet.

Right now, I'm playing with my 32GB Verizon iPhone and a Flir One thermal imaging camera - something I can't do on Android. See - I'm not all Android :)

plon Aug 19, 2014 2:17 pm

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I used a Galaxy Note of a friend while overseas and am definitely not a fan of the bigger screen. If the new iPhone 6 goes big, I might have to go to a windows phone. If I want something bigger I use my iPad or Laptop, no need for something that wont fit in my pocket!

But I do have my hopes up for some crazy battery life extension in this new version.... *sigh*