Reload this Page >

Google Chromecast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Chromecast

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:21 am

I found that both with my laptop and Windows 7 laptop that once I started "Chromecasting) the video playing in a tab that it slows down the video and made it choppy - both on the laptop, as well as on the TV screen.

Originally Posted by dakuda
I tried it with my Samsung Chromebook, with less than stellar results. I was using the drag-a-video-into-the-browser-and-stream-it method, and it was pretty choppy. The same video worked fine from my Win7 desktop. I just think that they need to do some streamlining of the non-Pixel Chromebook devices. I don't know if it can be a software fix or not. Youtube worked just fine with the Chromebook and my phone.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mine came yesterday. A couple of quirks:

- I have a WiFi extender set up as an Access Point that covers the living room and 1 bedroom. It has a unique SSID that is different from the primary WiFi SSID. Initially, I could not set up the Chromecast when both my laptop and the Chromecast were on the WiFi extender. By connecting the Chromecast to the primary WiFi router, I was able to configure the Chromecast, even though the laptop was on the extender. After that, everything worked well.

- My home theater does not get its audio feed from the HDTV -- the various programming sources provide audio directly to the receiver via s/pdif. I hadn't thought about that but, of course, there was no way to get audio from the Chromecast short of connecting the HDTV's out to a receiver input. On my particular HDTV, this is going to take some doing because not all of the HDMI inputs pass-through to the HDTV's outputs.

Other than that, the Chromecast worked surprisingly well, with an excellent picture. I also found that it was easier to use Netflix and Youtube with my tablet and the Chromecast than with the media computer that is part of my home theater setup.

I want to experiment with the VLC plug-in to see whether I can easily "cast" movies on the laptop to the Chromecast; that would truly be ideal if it can work. In the interim, I can see that the Chromecast will be a valuable addition to my portable entertainment kit when I'm stuck in hotel rooms with nothing to do.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
I picked one up as well, and am having some issues sharing a tab in Chrome - the video ends up being incredibly blurry. I have no issues sharing videos on Youtube or Netflix, or even screen casting, but tab casting is giving me issues. I'm on a Macbook Air. Any ideas?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:07 pm

In my experience, the performance of the Chromecast device is highly dependent upon the speed of the WiFi network it is connected to. I do not know if it is limited to Wireless-N, or if it has an AC radio, but I do know that in the locations I have tried, it always performs much better with a less congested and strong WiFi signal.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Streaming video from the cloud to Chromecast

Well, this looks interesting:

As the dust around Chromecast's surprise arrival starts to settle, expect to see a lot more apps and services get on board. Today's adoptee? Tonido's home cloud software (of recent giveaway fame). The company's updated its mobile apps, so that you can now stream (correctly formatted) media from your PC or desktop to the HDMI device wherever you (and it) are. So, in theory, you can store all your content at home, and take your Chromecast (and phone, of course) out with you -- and still be able to access your prized movie collection. Now you just have to wait until they're back in stock...
http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/06/t...ast-streaming/
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:49 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The news just gets better...

Hello,

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on July 27, 2013 (Order# XXXX):

"Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player"
Estimated arrival date: October 17, 2013 - October 30, 2013
Old Aug 8, 2013, 4:46 pm

I got the same delivery date update from Amazon so I cancelled my order with them.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 5:48 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Haven't decided yet. Doubt if there are going to be any available any faster at that price, anyway
Old Aug 8, 2013, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Haven't decided yet. Doubt if there are going to be any available any faster at that price, anyway
I'm just irritated they have never learned about having product available. This is the same cluster they had with the Nexus 4 release. I figure if I happen to see one at one of those Best Buy kiosks at an airport I'll get one.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:36 am

Roku just released an update to stream videos from ios on most versions of the Roku. I think this puts more nails in Apple TV than Chromecast

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...o-televisions/

ETA: Reading more, it looks like it will only work on files that are in the Photos & Video library, not iTunes.

Last edited by ne52; Aug 9, 2013 at 6:38 am Reason: ETA: Add'l Info
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
I can't wait until Tonido releases their update. I downloaded their software for my Mac and Android following the article on Engadget, and it looks promising. Also, it looks like someone else named Koush as developed some software to allow local media streaming to the Chromecast.

Lots of promise here.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:08 am

Amazon usually does a better job than this....

And yet another email:

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Thank you for your recent Chromecast purchase. Earlier today, you received an email indicating an incorrect estimated order delivery of late October. We are actively fulfilling orders weekly based on customer order date and all customers who placed orders prior to August 7 should receive their orders in the coming weeks and into mid-September. We will notify you as soon as your item ships and apologize for the confusion. <br><br>We hope to see you again soon!<br><br><b>Amazon.com</b>
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:34 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
just placed my order. Looks like a great toy for hotel stays.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My Chromecast died!

I was going to try the Chromecast in some other configurations today -- it had worked fine in my initial test. I plugged everything in and it as dead -- no video signal, no blue light, nothing. I tried different USB cables, power sources and monitors -- all the same, dead as a door nail.

I'm sending it back to Amazon for replacement, but Amazon estimates 2-3 MONTHS for replacement.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by PTravel
Mine came yesterday. A couple of quirks:

- I have a WiFi extender set up as an Access Point that covers the living room and 1 bedroom. It has a unique SSID that is different from the primary WiFi SSID. Initially, I could not set up the Chromecast when both my laptop and the Chromecast were on the WiFi extender. By connecting the Chromecast to the primary WiFi router, I was able to configure the Chromecast, even though the laptop was on the extender. After that, everything worked well.

- My home theater does not get its audio feed from the HDTV -- the various programming sources provide audio directly to the receiver via s/pdif. I hadn't thought about that but, of course, there was no way to get audio from the Chromecast short of connecting the HDTV's out to a receiver input. On my particular HDTV, this is going to take some doing because not all of the HDMI inputs pass-through to the HDTV's outputs.

Other than that, the Chromecast worked surprisingly well, with an excellent picture. I also found that it was easier to use Netflix and Youtube with my tablet and the Chromecast than with the media computer that is part of my home theater setup.

I want to experiment with the VLC plug-in to see whether I can easily "cast" movies on the laptop to the Chromecast; that would truly be ideal if it can work. In the interim, I can see that the Chromecast will be a valuable addition to my portable entertainment kit when I'm stuck in hotel rooms with nothing to do.
Do you feed video/HDMI from receiver to TV & speakers? If you do and have a spare HDMI in on the receiver, does Chomecast work plugged into AVR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.