Google Chromecast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Chromecast

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Given that it is capable of some direct wifi communication with the pc/tablet, it would be nice if you could stream local content directly without having to go through a router.
Use your mobile phone as a WAP?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by unmesh
I like the Anandtech review since it gets deeper into the technology http://www.anandtech.com/show/7186/g...35-hdmi-dongle
Thanks. I especially liked this part which talks about hotels and switching the MAC on your PC in order to authenticate Chromecast onto the hotel WiFi network. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7186/g...-hdmi-dongle/3

I also searched around for some PCAP packet captures to see what the packets look like from Chromecast and what packets, if any, are encrypted. I figured that if this is completely un-encrypted on an open WiFi network, then your next door neighbor hackling could push out content onto your TV. And sure enough I found this article. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...-to-hijacking/
Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:09 pm

Has anybody found a solution to use Chromecast tab while on VPN (not router defined that is)?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
If you read the specs, is only supposed to work with the high end Chromebook pixel, not the lesser Chromebooks.

Well, with my $199 Chromebook I can get the Chrome tab up on the screen. Was able to stream Hulu to the screen.

Better than advertised in this particular respect.
I tried it with my Samsung Chromebook, with less than stellar results. I was using the drag-a-video-into-the-browser-and-stream-it method, and it was pretty choppy. The same video worked fine from my Win7 desktop. I just think that they need to do some streamlining of the non-Pixel Chromebook devices. I don't know if it can be a software fix or not. Youtube worked just fine with the Chromebook and my phone.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:07 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Amazon just sent me an email saying that they now have an expected ship date, with an expected arrival date of August 21.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:48 am

Google Chromecast

I called 3 BB stores this morning in S. FL and all had sold out and didn't know when they would get more. Even the staff cannot order them internally. Thus I bought mine on GPlay and its a 2-3 week wait. Add $6 to the price for shipping and taxes.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:51 am

Google Chromecast

Also, are there country restrictions? Specifically, can I use it in Canada? If any limitations, what would they be?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.3; Nexus 4 Build/JWR66V) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by Panam
Also, are there country restrictions? Specifically, can I use it in Canada? If any limitations, what would they be?
I'm using mine primarily in Canada.

Other than the usual geographic restrictions with respect to the content providers, no difference vs using it in the US.

Of course, I use a VPN...
Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by crispeta
Has anybody found a solution to use Chromecast tab while on VPN (not router defined that is)?
My VPN doesn't interfere with local IP ranges.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Amazon just sent me an email saying that they now have an expected ship date, with an expected arrival date of August 21.
Got the same email, wish it would show shipping date though...curiously, do you have Prime?
Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:33 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Google Chromecast

Yes..
Old Aug 4, 2013, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
My VPN doesn't interfere with local IP ranges.
To clarify:
I was not referring to the use case of being on VPN and then using the Chromecast Netlfix/ youtube app, but mirroring a Chrome browser tab with "foreign" content that requires certain IP.
In that case Chromecast raises a "communication problem while on VPN" error and apparently requires some intelligent DNS modifications.

Given your location (DXB?), do you have a non-UAE IP pre-set in your router?
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Got mine yesterday. Underwhelming. Only works with Youtube on my iPad, and it's very slow. The setup site does claim that iOS support is coming.

I had high hopes for using it as a DLNA client, but apparently is doesn't do that either (at least not yet). Looks like it currently only works with Netflix (I really don't want to watch the worst movies of 10 years ago), Google Play or Youtube.

One other thing, there's no user auth, it lets anyone on the network control it. That's a FAIL.

Oh well, I can hold on and hope they add some functionaliy, or I could sell it for 2x what I paid on ebay...
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Google Chromecast

Can you cast "anything" from Chrome to the dongle on a win 7 PC with chrome installed?

How about iPad or iPhone? I don't see a "cast" icon
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:13 am

Ooopsies....

We're writing about the order you placed on July 27, 2013 (Order# XXXX). We do not have an estimated delivery date for the items below. We will email you with an update on your delivery date in 30 days, or as soon as the items are ready to ship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.