Google Chromecast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Chromecast

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I'll be in the US in a few weeks or so. Hopefully Best Buy will have them in stores by then.
Check with a store local to where you will be and see if they have them in stock.

Originally Posted by stimpy
I wonder what the margin is? 1000%? I reckon they cost less than $3 to make, eh? Nice business if you can sell a billion.
Don't forget to subtract the 3 month Netflix subscription which brings the price down to $11 (assuming that Google didn't get a deal on the 3 month subscriptions).
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:17 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by ScottC
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Whilst Apple TV is an overpriced, underdeveloped PoS at least I was able to buy one.

For a "global" company Google's international product rollout is pathetic.
Oh come on - you think Apple never had a launch where the product wasn't available? It took me three weeks to get my iPhone 4, and even then, the local Apple store had three hour waits.

I ordered two Chromecasts - one from Google and one from Amazon. They were in stock until late last night. You snooze, you lose. They'll be back in stock sooner or later. I think Google did a great job this time by expanding the stock beyond just the play store (to prevent another Nexus debacle), plus they will be in retail soon.
Scott, the keyword is "global".

I've no problem with stock selling out, I do have a problem with Google consistently launching US only on Day 1 and long delays for European and other major market rollout.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 5:34 am

And it so it was that Google canceled the free 3 months of Netflix.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sparkchaser
And it so it was that Google canceled the free 3 months of Netflix.
After giving away 250,000 of them. I doubt anyone would have seen this sell out so quickly.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by unmesh
Turns out the file I had picked was an MP4 which played fine. After your post, I tried AVI and MKV with no luck and will need to look into chrome extensions.
Please post if you find good chrome extensions for avi and mkv.

Otherwise, you can always convert to mp4. Handbrake is my current favorite.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:48 am

Apparently anybody connected to the same WiFi network can access one's Chromecast, making it less than ideal for use in a hotel.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TraveltheWorld
Apparently anybody connected to the same WiFi network can access one's Chromecast, making it less than ideal for use in a hotel.
All the more reason to use a travel router.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by ScottC
Working amazingly on my Chromebook Pixel. It mirrors the screen of the tab I'm in, then when I start video, it sends just the video fullscreen to my TV. This thing is a gamechanger.
Are you streaming video off a site? All the sites that I have tried (hulu, mtv, spike tv, history channel...) the video kept freezing the skipping. This is from chrome browser tab cast. Netflix and YouTube (with the built-in cast) works fine but the browser tab casting (beta) is not really working for video for me.

Maybe it works better for you when you are on a Chromebook? I was running the latest Chrome browser on my Windows 7 64 bits HP Envy 17 notebook.

I wonder if the dongle can be setup on Hotel's wireless network. When I did the setup, it disconnect my laptop from the router and connected it directly to the dongle..and from there it asked for the wireless router SSID and password to setup the dongle's internet connection. If you are at a hotel, you will need to go into a webpage to sign in to the network.. I don't think the dongle could do that. You will probably need to bring your own wireless router.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
Please post if you find good chrome extensions for avi and mkv.

Otherwise, you can always convert to mp4. Handbrake is my current favorite.
I didn't know you could drag and drop local video into Chrome tab to play. Does it play smoothly on Chromecast? I couldn't get any of the online streaming on chrome tab to play smoothly. Lots of skipping and freezing. One way I could make local video play on chromecast is to upload them to YouTube and then play them from YouTube. YouTube and NetFlix works fine.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:15 am

What is involved in getting the Chromecast on the hotel network anyway. You need to get it to find the AP and then go through their validation stuff. will you need to hook up to the USB Port on the device and preprogram it each time?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
What is involved in getting the Chromecast on the hotel network anyway. You need to get it to find the AP and then go through their validation stuff. will you need to hook up to the USB Port on the device and preprogram it each time?
Here is how the chromecast is setup.

1) Plug it into the TV and connect to USB power. I read that if you have HDMI 1.4 you don't need USB power, but I guess my TV does not have it. I have to plug in the USB to the USB port on my TV.

2) Now you need to download the Chromecast app on your phone or your PC. I did it on my laptop. Once you start the Chromecast app, it will disconnect your laptop from your wireless router and connect it directly to the Chromecast dongle.

3) Once you are connected to the Chromecast, it will ask you for the router SSID (drop down to select if there are more than 1) and password.

4) Connected and you are done.

I think #3 above could be a problem at a hotel. If the wireless connection requires you to open a webpage to enter room number and such.. I don't think the Chromecast setup could handle it. You will probably need to bring your own wireless router to connect to the internet first and then setup the Chromecast.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:20 pm

Given that it is capable of some direct wifi communication with the pc/tablet, it would be nice if you could stream local content directly without having to go through a router.

Originally Posted by Need
Here is how the chromecast is setup.

1) Plug it into the TV and connect to USB power. I read that if you have HDMI 1.4 you don't need USB power, but I guess my TV does not have it. I have to plug in the USB to the USB port on my TV.

2) Now you need to download the Chromecast app on your phone or your PC. I did it on my laptop. Once you start the Chromecast app, it will disconnect your laptop from your wireless router and connect it directly to the Chromecast dongle.

3) Once you are connected to the Chromecast, it will ask you for the router SSID (drop down to select if there are more than 1) and password.

4) Connected and you are done.

I think #3 above could be a problem at a hotel. If the wireless connection requires you to open a webpage to enter room number and such.. I don't think the Chromecast setup could handle it. You will probably need to bring your own wireless router to connect to the internet first and then setup the Chromecast.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Given that it is capable of some direct wifi communication with the pc/tablet, it would be nice if you could stream local content directly without having to go through a router.
That's what I am thinking too. Maybe someone could come up with an app on Android and iOS to stream video straight to the Chromecast dongle. Maybe the next update of the MXPlayer...
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:58 pm

Well, I've used DLNA for quite some time - I can easily stream video from my Android device to an XBOX or other DLNA compatible renderer using BubbleUpnp (http://bit.ly/18DJR79) from MX Player.

However, that requires that both devices be on the same network. I have looked around and not found anything that uses DLNA to stream directly from device to renderer/TV, so I expect that for technical reasons it might be difficult.

Originally Posted by Need
That's what I am thinking too. Maybe someone could come up with an app on Android and iOS to stream video straight to the Chromecast dongle. Maybe the next update of the MXPlayer...
Old Jul 26, 2013, 2:16 pm

I backordered one from Amazon. Right now I have a Roku XS, a Wii and an old laptop to stream from but this makes a convenient solution for stuff from your phone/tablet. I expect that given the Google backing developers should create apps compatible with Chromcast with reasonable expediency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.