Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Chromecast

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2013, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Google Chromecast

So Google introduced an HDMI dongle for pushing media to an HDTV and it's been getting pretty good reviews:

http://gizmodo.com/youd-be-crazy-not...cast-897794491

I travel with a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable to hook up my MBA to hotel TVs but I may look at this... I have a Nexus 4, so it would seem to be a natural match. Even if it was a bust, can't complain at the $35 price point.

I'm only a bit confused about the USB power... do most hotel TV USB service ports provide power or will I have to run a cable to an outlet?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Just realized this comes with 3 months of Netflix credit, even for existing subscribers.

That pushed me over the edge. Ordered on Amazon.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ooooooh!!! Aaaaaaah!

Me wanty.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 3:19 pm

Ordered one from Amazon.

According to the Amazon link:
Box includes Chromecast, HDMI extender, USB power cable, and power adapter

I think for a truly wire-free solution the TV will need a USB port.

Otherwise it will need the power adapter to the wall and the HDMI port.

Seems like a must-have for road-warriors and another blow to hotel PPV revenues.

Last edited by TraveltheWorld; Jul 25, 2013 at 1:17 pm
Old Jul 24, 2013, 3:40 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
My TV does this already...but since it's new and inexpensive enough it will take up space near my raspberry pi
Old Jul 24, 2013, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Though it's convenient, I don't think it's that much better than a WiDi solution. I plug a WiDi box (small, but not dongle-sized) into an HDMI port and then stream any video I want from my laptop. I can watch not only Netflix, but HBOgo, Slingbox and any movies I've put on my laptop. As a plus, Google isn't tracking what I'm watching.

Though I like the idea of Chromecast, I'd rather carry a slightly bigger box and have more variety and privacy. I still may get one, though.

Edited to add:
So I got inspired to see what else is out there, and found this:

http://thenanobyte.com/2013/05/plair...d-hdmi-dongle/

Though very similar in concept, it is much more flexible than the Google product, and apparently capable of streaming video from the local hard drive as well. It even works with the laptop off.

Last edited by PTravel; Jul 24, 2013 at 4:20 pm
Old Jul 24, 2013, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
My TV does this already...but since it's new and inexpensive enough it will take up space near my raspberry pi
It will be interesting to see what third-party apps come out in the coming weeks. Hopefully Hulu is working on this...
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ordered one on Google play, then another on Amazon.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
Though it's convenient, I don't think it's that much better than a WiDi solution. I plug a WiDi box (small, but not dongle-sized) into an HDMI port and then stream any video I want from my laptop. I can watch not only Netflix, but HBOgo, Slingbox and any movies I've put on my laptop. As a plus, Google isn't tracking what I'm watching.

Though I like the idea of Chromecast, I'd rather carry a slightly bigger box and have more variety and privacy. I still may get one, though.
That is fine for your laptop, but not for a phone.

Also, I've yet to find WiDi working reliably enough to use it on a permanent basis. And what makes you think that Google wants to know what you watch on Chromecast? Do you have something to back that up?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Comes with 3 months NetFlix too, even for current NetFlix users, so net about $10 + tax.

Google is charging $4 shipping - Amazon has it with free shipping, and still includes the 3 months NetFlix.

Here's a great review from someone that has one, including details like powering it (doesn't need power if it can draw from the TV), mobile device battery usage (basically unchanged) and some other info - Please Ignore the Idiots Who Haven't Even Used This Device - Opinions from a Developer

Last edited by docbert; Jul 24, 2013 at 4:24 pm
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
That is fine for your laptop, but not for a phone.
Sure, but I never travel without my laptop so, for me and others like me, it's a non-issue.

Also, I've yet to find WiDi working reliably enough to use it on a permanent basis.
It does on my systems. I have a Netgear WiDi box on the bedroom television and frequently use my laptop to stream a variety of video to it. It works great.

And what makes you think that Google wants to know what you watch on Chromecast? Do you have something to back that up?
Only Google's business model. Google is a data aggregator, repackager and reseller. Read the TOS for their products and you'll see what I mean. I can't think of any reason why this inexpensive/free product would be an exception.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:24 pm

Amazon review notes that devices with HDMI 1.4 or better can power the device. Neat. Not sure if I have any of those, but good chance hotel tv's might.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
Amazon review notes that devices with HDMI 1.4 or better can power the device. Neat. Not sure if I have any of those, but good chance hotel tv's might.
Makes it even better. One step better would be if it supported MHL for TV control.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 6:50 pm

It's a good price but I'm not fully grasping the hype for hotel use yet. Not being snarky but can someone explain some of the excitement.

I currently have an HDMI cable for the tablet with the same apps I can get on Chromecast. The cord is the only extra piece I have to carry now... same if I wanted to plug a laptop into the HDTV. With Chromecast, I have to pack the dongle, the charger, and then pay for wifi if my room doesn't already have it. Even if I want to use locally stored videos instead of streaming I'm going to need wifi for this to work.

Since my tablet has to be physically tethered to the TV, Chromecast really seems to only be saving me the 10 foot walk from the bed. I see it more useful at home on a TV without a Roku or similar setup but not ready to pull the trigger on it for travel yet.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ne52
It's a good price but I'm not fully grasping the hype for hotel use yet. Not being snarky but can someone explain some of the excitement.
I guess it's great if you stream a lot of Netflix, have a large Google Play video library, and don't want to watch them on your PC/tablet.

I'll stick to plugging the laptop/tablet into the TV, where I can watch local content, and Hulu, and ESPN, etc..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.