Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Chromecast

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JMN57
Do you feed video/HDMI from receiver to TV & speakers?
No, I don't use the receiver for switching.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Reading more of this thread I think I'm going to wait til Google formally releases this in Europe where I expect the quality will be much improved, and more apps will support it. Bring me Chromecast 2.0!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lensman
(back) Ordered one on Amazon to see how it works.
Mine arrived today. Looks like they are working their way through the backlog.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Got mine a couple days ago, just hooked it up. Setup was very easy. Using my HTC One to stream. Quality is pretty good, colors are right, but it drops frames like crazy. I'll have to play with it more to see if I can get a better lock.

edit - tried it also with my Xoom playing back downloaded Play content. Same frame drop problem. I put in a hardline and it still had the issue, so I guess I'm not so quick to be bummed out. Still experimenting.

Is there yet a Chrome Mobile extension?

Last edited by tkey75; Aug 29, 2013 at 3:53 pm
Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:57 am

I am not experiencing any dropped frames, though at a buddies house he was experiencing dropped frames.

He replaced his router and that solved the issues, I cannot guarantee it is your router that is the issue, but it might be worth a shot to see if replacing your router fixes the issue.

Dropped frames can mean poor throughput on your network.

Dan
Old Aug 31, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
I still can't believe noone's published a working local media streaming solution. What happened to Tonido, Google, Koush?
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:35 am

Koush's app was broken by an update, and he released the .apk.

He also just had lunch w/ some people from the Chromecast team, but not much came from it.

https://plus.google.com/110558071969...ts/YZsKSLHwguz
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:42 am

Thanks for the link dakuda. Hope this gets more traction... I can definitely see Chromecast beating out Roku, Plex, AppleTV, etc.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 7:06 am

It needs some more support and capabilities right now. As long as Google doesn't drop support now that they have proof of demand, it could be great.

Heck, I have one on all 3 televisions in the house. I want it to get better, but there hasn't been anything new since the release.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 7:38 am

Doesn't that surprise you? It would be great if it were truly open and developers could build on the platform. I am very bullish on this platform, but disappointed there hasn't been any observable improvements since the release.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:58 am

Installed mine yesterday and am underwhelmed.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Got mine yesterday. Underwhelming. Only works with Youtube on my iPad, and it's very slow. The setup site does claim that iOS support is coming.

I had high hopes for using it as a DLNA client, but apparently is doesn't do that either (at least not yet). Looks like it currently only works with Netflix (I really don't want to watch the worst movies of 10 years ago), Google Play or Youtube.

One other thing, there's no user auth, it lets anyone on the network control it. That's a FAIL.

Oh well, I can hold on and hope they add some functionaliy, or I could sell it for 2x what I paid on ebay...
The real value is in netflix. Will be better when more apps arrive
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:59 pm

I almost think that this can work on the road in this way:

use travel router (I name mine the same as my home router) with the chromecast and android phone/chromebook in a hotel. In my head, this may work. There might be limits on the network at the hotel that get in the way.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
So far so good here, I found it hard to set up as I couldn't connect without disconnecting from wifi first then reconnecting after establishing link with Chromecast. Since then all is good, great for watching sports like F1, Cricket etc. that we don't get here.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:55 pm

I've had no problems setting any of them up with the android app or the website link on the setup screen. It does the connecting/disconnecting/reconnecting automatically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.