Best antivirus protection to go for

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best antivirus protection to go for

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LoneTree
Avast, Avira, and AVG are the ones to use.
MSE has gone very downhill. As for Symantec, I'm not using them after they intentionally crippled other products for the NSA.
I've found after Norton expires and don't resubscribe, the program creeps up reminders.

After faithful use of Norton, I'm surprised that Norton acts like a virus reminding me to renew. Not impressed, and not going back.
Old May 10, 2014, 5:15 pm

What should I go for between a basic Ant-Virus, an "Internet Security" suite, and something like an all around suite like Norton 360?

And does anyone have some reviews of the following?:

ESET
F-Secure
Panda
Trend Micro
Webroot
Vipre

I don't plan to go back to Avast, AVG or Norton. Avast and AVG were just hard for me to navigate through. Too many menus I couldn't understand.
Old May 12, 2014, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
After faithful use of Norton, I'm surprised that Norton acts like a virus reminding me to renew. Not impressed, and not going back.
Well, Norton thinks anti-virus is not profitable and their new product is to help business to "recover" from virus attacks. In order for this new product to be successful, they really want as many businesses to suffer from virus infections as possible.... conflict of interest anyone?

http://www.techspot.com/news/56656-s...s-is-dead.html
Old May 12, 2014, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I wonder if MS is trying to make MSE more effective with more frequent updates. I manually check updates several times a day and noticed int he past couple of months, there have been more and bigger updates. I'm assuming a single new definition is in the 40-60kB range and these use to come out 3-4x daily. These past few weeks, I've been seeing new updates in the 3-600 kB size with the occasional one in the MB range.

Of course, doesn't help when the automatic updates only run once daily.
Old May 13, 2014, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15
What should I go for between a basic Ant-Virus, an "Internet Security" suite, and something like an all around suite like Norton 360?

And does anyone have some reviews of the following?:

ESET
F-Secure
Panda
Trend Micro
Webroot
Vipre

I don't plan to go back to Avast, AVG or Norton. Avast and AVG were just hard for me to navigate through. Too many menus I couldn't understand.
Anyone?
Old May 13, 2014, 6:15 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Anyone?
See my post #112 in this thread. Continue to be pleased with Trend.
Old May 14, 2014, 6:44 am

Old May 15, 2014, 7:11 am

Anyone? I'm confused on what to choose. My sincerest apologies if my bumps seem annoying. I just need some helpful tips and advice. Thanks.
Old May 15, 2014, 11:46 am

Anyone? I'm confused on what to choose. My sincerest apologies if my bumps seem annoying. I just need some helpful tips and advice. Thanks.
Stay away from the terrible ones. Get one of the good ones. There's already plenty of information in this very thread for you to make up your mind.
Old May 16, 2014, 6:52 am

I'm pretty much already decided on the brand. The type is the only thing that confuses me. For example: Norton has Norton 360, Norton Internet Security, and Norton Anti-Virus. I won't be going with Norton but I just used them as an example. I'm not sure what to go for between a basic Anti-Virus, an Internet Security suite, and a complete suite like Norton 360. I skimmed the thread but majority of it was arguments between Windows and Mac and doesn't really answer my question.
Old May 23, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
I'm pretty much already decided on the brand. The type is the only thing that confuses me. For example: Norton has Norton 360, Norton Internet Security, and Norton Anti-Virus. I won't be going with Norton but I just used them as an example. I'm not sure what to go for between a basic Anti-Virus, an Internet Security suite, and a complete suite like Norton 360. I skimmed the thread but majority of it was arguments between Windows and Mac and doesn't really answer my question.
Norton 360 offers additional utilities to do things not related to anti-virus
Internet Security I am not sure

Now here's where many will disagree with me. I say do not buy any anti-virus program there are excellent free version available. I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials for years on windows 7 and now on 8 and 8.1. I have also recommended this to many others and we all have 1 thing in common none of us have gotten a single virus since we started using this free product. This includes college students that may not be very vigilant about what they do on the net.

To replace other thing Norton 360 may do look at the free version of Glary Utilities and for software removal the free version of REVO uninstaller.
Old May 24, 2014, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
In general, I've found antivirus products to be sufficient, with the added functionality of internet security suites to be unnecessary. Your home router should be acting as a sufficient firewall, and the built in Windows Firewall on top of that is plenty. The other performance management tools that come with a package like Norton 360 can be downloaded for free elsewhere should you actually have a need for them.

That said, because of sales or promotions, sometimes internet security suites are the same price or cheaper than a company's plain old antivirus package (i.e. Norton Antivirus vs. Norton 360). Usually if you get a suite, you can choose which components you want to install, so there's usually no harm in buying an internet security suite even if you're only going to use part of it.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:03 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Anyone have thoughts on Panda?
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...ware.htm#Panda

Any recent updates on best freeware antivirus? Especially ones that are the least intrusive in terms of nags to upgrade and needing little/no user input? (Doing tech support for a set-it-and-go friend)
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Note that the Norton question regarding NIS, 360, etc., is now moot as everything is simply in the new Norton Security. On Black Friday I picked up a 5-device license for under $20. Most of the reviews that I've read have it as Top Rated, Editors Pick, etc.

In av-comparative's latest test, Panda received 2 stars, behind 9 with 3 stars, ahead of 6 with 0 or 1 star, tied with 6 others. So mid-pack performance.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:52 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CPRich
Note that the Norton question regarding NIS, 360, etc., is now moot as everything is simply in the new Norton Security.
Thanks for the link on Panda.

Good luck with Norton. Twice in the last six months one of its updates so screwed up mine and a family member's computer that it was impossible to connect to the internet on any adapter (wifi, ethernet, or WWAN) and much futzing with command line resets of Winsock, etc., was required (hours of work) to get back online. ScottC can confirm that he has seen similar issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.