Best antivirus protection to go for

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best antivirus protection to go for

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA
I've been using Panda Cloud Antivirus for several years with no problems. And it's free.

I used to use Norton Anti-Virus; my problem with Norton is that once NAV get into your life, it's very hard to get it out. Last time I spent a day helping a relative cancel an auto-renewing NAV subscription, I was reminded of that.

I do like using Norton Utilities for registry cleaning; haven't yet tried to cancel it; I guess if I do I'll find out if it's as persistent an installation as NAV is.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Why not Microsoft Security Essentials for general protection and viruses and MalwayBytes for Malware?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:43 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by brp1264
Why not Microsoft Security Essentials for general protection ...
Uh, did you read the review linked to in the first post of this thread?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:33 pm

I like BitDefender, and with their Sphere licensing, for $99 a year you can put it on as many PC, Mac, and Tablet/Phones as you wish. I have used it for almost a full year now and have been very happy.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by robroy90
I like BitDefender, and with their Sphere licensing, for $99 a year you can put it on as many PC, Mac, and Tablet/Phones as you wish. I have used it for almost a full year now and have been very happy.
I have tried Bitdefender in the past. Its to complex for me as far as navigating around the menus are concerned.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
To the OP, I'd recommend ESet, Kaspersky, and AVG in that order. Everything else is over bloated crap that will slow your machine down.

Originally Posted by planemechanic
Because it is not tired or old, it is true and relevant. I don't have or need an anti-virus program on my Mac, and have no problems with virus'.

If that "vast majority" is using Windoze they have already experienced the downgrade, they just don't know it yet.
If you want to run without virus protection, then your ignorance is bliss. I wouldn't recommend this on any OS (I run linux and still use AV).

As far as the downgrade issue...Windows has about 3 times the amount of features of OSX. Linux has 5x. Apple has its niche in people that prefer form over function and are willing to pay more for less. Apple is probably the best marketing company in the World. It's too bad their computers/software aren't. I say this as an Apple stockholder.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another friendly moderator note to steer clear of making this thread another Mac vs. PC vs. Linux vs. The World thread.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Another friendly moderator note to steer clear of making this thread another Mac vs. PC vs. Linux vs. The World thread.
Appreciated. Actually, I think the thread ran its useful course on the 1st page.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by HDQDD
To the OP, I'd recommend ESet, Kaspersky, and AVG in that order. Everything else is over bloated crap that will slow your machine down.
Avast doesn't slow our PCs down.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I've been following this thread with interest as I've been an AVG user for years but it had slowed my laptop to a crawl lately.

Just this morning I made the switch to Avast and what a difference. It is like night and day. So thank you all for that.

One question, though. Avast is still detecting AVG on my laptop even though I uninstalled it. I have searched for files everywhere and can't find any. I have heard AVG is a b--ch to get out of your life completely. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Avast doesn't slow our PCs down.
I have to admit, Avast is one I'm not familiar with. I can't really comment on that one. (Heard of it, but never used it or heard feedback on it)

With enterprise IT groups, Symantec and McAfee are by far the most popular... I suspect that is because they allow enterprise control. However, they really slow a machine down.

For personal use, I've always recommended ESet, although I think Kaspersky is just as good.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:40 pm

I have had some bad experiences with Avast recently. Their support is lacking. They are also prone to updates which have caused problems. I had issues with their home server product, and a client who had an update on an exchange server who ran into all kids of problems. Even their "Enterprise" support was anything but.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 1:24 am

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
Recommendations...

Eset, Nod32, AVG for starters.

Norton, McAfee, and Trend Micro are just too bloated anymore and hook into your your OS(Windows at least) too deeply. They cause performance and usability issues more than they are worth.

-Patrick
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:15 am
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Anti-Virus Test on Windows 8

http://www.neowin.net/news/av-test-r...us-comparisons
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:29 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Finkface
I've been following this thread with interest as I've been an AVG user for years but it had slowed my laptop to a crawl lately.

Just this morning I made the switch to Avast and what a difference. It is like night and day. So thank you all for that.

One question, though. Avast is still detecting AVG on my laptop even though I uninstalled it. I have searched for files everywhere and can't find any. I have heard AVG is a b--ch to get out of your life completely. Any suggestions?
Go to this page

http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

Download the AVG remover, and try to run that. That cleans up stuff the uninstall misses in many cases like registry entries, etc. It should remove all traces.

Full instructions to run it are on this page

http://www.mytechguide.org/7871/how-...avg-antivirus/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.