Reload this Page >

Best antivirus protection to go for

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:14 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by javabytes
...If you're not already aware of it, AV Comparatives runs benchmarks of detection, removal, performance, and similar features, if benchmarks are your sort of thing. http://www.av-comparatives.org/
Some very striking reports there -- which confirm MSE is indeed not the product to use. Among the free, looks like Avira and Antivir get the highest marks, almost as high as Kaspersky.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gglave

What RCMP viruses?
These type of viruses lock down your/my computer unless you pay with some sort of cash card. It's masked as an official RCMP/FBI virus, and can be difficult to remove.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I am a total Norton fan - but is really eats memory and "hogs" the system. Cost too of course.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: AA EXP

Avast, Avira, and AVG are the ones to use.
MSE has gone very downhill. As for Symantec, I'm not using them after they intentionally crippled other products for the NSA.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting discussion here - thanks. I had been using MSE thinking it was all good. I just installed Avira.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:56 pm

Currently using MSE and Malwarebytes PRO. Seems ok I guess.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:41 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I've had been a long-time fan of Avast on both personal and business machines, but started seeing issues a few months ago with how it blocked some advertisements on IE9 and 10. When running Chrome, Avast also would occasionally cause pages to render oddly. Turning it off, pages would render fine in either browser.

My company's CTO recommended I switch to Trend, and it has been flawless since the conversion. Upon installation Trend will recommend you uninstall Malwarebytes (I use Pro), but it really is not necessary.

Over the last year I've also tested both McAfee and MSE on some business machines. McAfee seems to be a resource hog, and MSE feels weak and has conflicted with Malwarebytes at times.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:50 am

I had been using the free version of Avast and was underwhelmed. Too many false positives, mostly for something they call "Win32:Evo-gen" which appears to stand for "We really don't know what this is." And all of the pop-ups are pretty annoying even after you take steps to minimize them.

I obtained a 3-PC Kaspersky license for $40 with a $40 MIR, so effectively free for the first year. It was offered as a "members-only" special at NewEgg; you need to subscribe to their daily specials mailing. Once in a great while there's actually a good deal.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:04 am

Still a big fan of BitDefender here. The Mac version of it recently found some latent viruses on a client's Windows Boot Camp partition. I was impressed.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robroy90
Still a big fan of BitDefender here. The Mac version of it recently found some latent viruses ...
But, but, ...

I can show you posts in this very thread whereby it is proven that Macs don't get viruses.

Now back to the topic at hand, before I get 86'ed outta here
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by BigLar
But, but, ...

I can show you posts in this very thread whereby it is proven that Macs don't get viruses.

Now back to the topic at hand, before I get 86'ed outta here

He said it found viruses in ac Windows boot camp partition. He didn't say it was ohe OSX partition.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:07 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I'm wanting to you've re are any other recent experiences/opinions....

My paid version of Norton (which came with a trial with my Lenovo and which I then extended for a year for very cheap for both my and spouse's computer) is coming to an end.

I'm again looking at free versions

Avast, AVG Free, MSE, and ???

Interested in experiences of:

a) Least system-hoggy
b) Least intrusive re popups for upsells and that kind of crap (this would be especially important for spouse's computer)
c) Does a good job blocking/alerting particularly when those nasty attachments to emails get clicked on because they do a good masquerade as a real "invoice" et al.

Thoughts?

TIA!
You can get the 3-PC version of Norton Internet Security 2014 for $25 on Amazon. So it may be worth sticking with what you've got.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:14 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
That's rather better than the $59 they want for renewal! Thank you.

Otoh, a 3-seat Kaspersky license via Amazon looks to about the same price.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: HH Gold, churning the rest.
It's a shame about MSE's descent...the non-invasive interface was a real treat. On the whole, Avast has worked for me as a free alternative, and I've found myself installing it more frequently for clients who lack a paid anti-virus/malware solution. If you like your anti-virus quiet and out of the way, there are some great configuration guides out there for it. Also, I believe there is a 'silent/gamer' mode.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I just loaded the free version of BitDefender (replacing Avast) on my home system.

It is unusual in the respect that it has an extremely minimal UI. It uses spare cycles to perform most of the typical scanning and only goes into real time mode when a file is being used. Decent ratings/reviews as well.

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home...7/janfeb-2014/

Since I just started to use it I am not trying to recommend it but it looks promising. No perceptible system load.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.